is my mare pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanessa101

Reaction score
i recently got this abused mare at an auction last month, she is 7 years old, and all it said was that she was exsposed to a stud. she is huge like a watermellon and has a bag, but cant figure out on how long she is. any guesses? and what colour of appaloosa markings does she have?IMG_6122.JPGIMG_5421.JPG

We have a foaling forum on here if you do find out she is pregnant. That way people can follow along and help.

Note: a vet can easily draw blood and test her to see if she's pregnant.
default_smile.png

Note #2: pictures of her from the side (standing away from her so that we have a full body picture) and of her bag (taken from below) will help.

Note #3: Can you express fluid from her teats? Most broodmares are capable of producing a clear liquid, even years after they've been open (I have a mare who even are 3 years can do so.)

She looks varnish for the most part, but of course more pictures of the sweetheart will be appreciated. We love our mares!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if she's had a foal before? Can you take a photo of her bag?

At this point, it's just a guess that - yes, she is. But you need to keep checking her bag and see if you can get liquid from her teats.

Feel her butt muscles. They will soften up like jello when she's close. And the liquid will start feeling sticky as she gets close.

When she's eating, place you hands around her middle for foal movement. If she is indeed pregnant, her side to side "watermelon" look will drop down under her belly at the very end of her pregnancy...as the foal begins to prepare itself for birth.

I don't know about your Appy color questions except to acknowledge that your girl is obviously an Appy! LOL. There are many appy breeders on here that can respond to that.

Kuddos to you for adopting this lovely girl!

PS: In doing your homework about pregnancy, etc.....don't hesitate to peek at our "Health Pages" on the subject at

http:www.miniature ventures.com

Latest posts

Back