Is my filly a dun?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
So I've been curious as to what color my filly is. The vet thought she was black (before she shed), but she's definitely not black, lol. Today I noticed she had a dorsal stripe... so I think she's probably dun (found some striping on her back legs, too). Here are some pictures. Also, one of the mom, because I just noticed she has a partial stripe, too (which is oddly showing up as a full stripe in the picture)IMAG0372.jpgIMAG0372.jpgIMAG0372.jpg (the mom, all the other pictures will be of the filly)

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Need to see a full body shot. What colors are the parents? Is there dun in one of their backgrounds?

There are MANY possibilities, but it's hard to judge with the pics and info you've posted.

For example, the dorsal could be counter shading on a silver bay.....OR, you could have a grulla (which is a black dun).

Based on these pics, it looks like countershading, doesn't look dun. Black could still be right.

Can you post a full body shot? More than one would be helpful.

I don't know who her dad is, and her mom is either a black or dark bay (with a partial dorsal stripe).

If she isn't a dun, what color do you think she is?

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

Looking at her mom's registration papers now... Her grandparents on her mom's side, one is cremello and the other is silver dapple.

Found a genetic marker report for the mom... I can't read it, so if someone would care to translate?? Lol

IMAG0392.jpg

The report says the mare's color is SBK.. does that stand for "smokey black", or something else? Not sure, but I think the rest of it is just making sure her parents are really her parents...

Your mare is probably smoky black. The filly is either silver black or silver bay. We have a.black mare with a definite dorsal stripe but it is counter shading. She has no dun in her background.

For the moment, I'll say the foal is black going through a foal coat coloration, perhaps a bit of sun bleaching going on in the mane and tail.

What age do foals' coat stop changing? She's nearly a year old

I can see those leg stripes, I have had a goodly many dun horses, and they can come in many shades, but the leg stripes are a real hint that she could be a grulla. Also, it appears from your photos that she has dark stockings. Her rump has a more golden sheen, not black to me. My grulla horses' colors had changes off and on depending on the season and whether clipped.

Those are DNA markers for parentage qualifying - they are not the same markers as are used for color genetics. SBK means solid black.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see any sign of dun personally, just looks like typical countershading on either a bleached out black or a really dark bay/buckskin

Edited to add this pic that can show how tricky countershading can be....foal on left is a grulla colt with a dun parent and the foal on the right is a buckskin filly with countershading that has no dun parent so cant be dun.

11705364_10205853016622566_975048509055656582_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited to add this pic that can show how tricky countershading can be....foal on left is a grulla colt with a dun parent and the foal on the right is a buckskin filly with countershading that has no dun parent so cant be dun.
Wow, that filly has some pretty convincing countershading.

Thanks guys
default_smile.png
I'm thinking she's just a smoky black, now.

Latest posts

Back