is mare maiden who lost first two foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would NOT consider her to be a maiden mare. I look at it this way, if I were looking to purchase a mare and she was described as a "maiden mare", I would assume, yes I know, makes a butt out of YOU and ME, that this is her FIRST pregnancy, and would be VERY upset if it were found out that she had aborted two previous pregnancies and this information was NOT disclosed. To me MAIDEN means that she has never gone through labour, either producing a full term live or dead foal or not full term dead foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious because she is getting a bag but not a huge one and I know maiden's would bag up differently than experienced horses.
But will she act more like a maiden mare than an experienced mare when it comes to foaling signs? I think that was the part of the question that was the most important.

Yes!!!! That was my point with the whole question----for foaling signs would she be considered maiden or not? Also one post is saying that the regumate closes the cervix and can cause problems. She is at 311 days today and has a pretty good bag started so should I stop the regumate now or pull her off at term? HELP?

Latest posts

Back