Is Kevin a Mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wanting to see what people's opinions on what Kevin is.

He is around 41 inches? I will check his height properly tomorrow. And a mini is usually under 38 inches aren't they? But If his parents were miniatures does that make him a mini regardless?

I have owned his mother she wasn't very tall, and I have seen his father, although I am unsure on what one was his father there were 2 stallions at the place we got him from, either way both stallions were easy 35 inches.

My main question here is, if he is larger, is he still a miniature, if he isn't, what is he?

People question me if hes a miniature, and I don't even know.

These 2 were from April 2015

mwv9cm.jpg

These 2 were from Jan 2017 and Dec 2016, In the 2nd one you can see Kevin close to my smaller mini Willow.

2mo15z5.jpg

This is Kevin's mother Primrose. Does she look like a mini, or a Shetland?

n3vnep.jpg

Minis are a height breed, so once they go over 38" at the last hair of the mane, they are just small ponies. Many will call them oversized minis when they come from mini sized parents.

Miniature horses were bred down from Shetlands and probably other small ponies, although which ones was never documented...except for the Falabella. (sp)

Those little ones were a cross between a South American mountain pony and Shetland.

Just eye-balling your colt's dam's pictures, I suspect she is either full or half Shetland....She has that "look" and stance in the right photo that I see in our own. Very pretty!

In Australia a "Miniature horse" must be under 34" . A "Small Horse" is considered to be between 34"-38". I think Kevin would be considered to be a Miniature Pony though I agree I see some shetland there too
default_smile.png

Thank you all !

So I could say he is a Pony, Miniature pony, Small pony or Part Shetland?

I have been calling him a Small pony to some visitors, although I had no clue what he actually was.

Either way, hes still Kevin!
default_biggrin.png

I have photos of him today, I also measured him, he only came to 40 inches, I used some of the techniques on him to find his mature age, and according to that he should grow another inch, maybe that's where I got 41 from.

x5o7it.jpg

And I just wanted to share these last photos from this morning
default_smile.png

vr59v7.jpg

Haha, thank you!

Kevin is definitely one of a kind, and every horse is in their own special way.
default_smile.png

We have been training in little baby steps, for my benefit and his
default_smile.png

Yesterday I got him to stand on some things for fun
default_smile.png
I also made him his own rope halter, I had only made 1 before that one, and lets just say this one turned out much better!

98eq69.jpg

Thank you
default_smile.png
I was pretty happy with how it fitted on him, my first one was so out of proportion with a small tight nose band, long cheek pieces and a massive cheek piece. So I gave up, then I decided to have another shot at it the other day
default_smile.png

The flowers are paper flowers on a piece of wire
default_smile.png
My sister gave them to me for Christmas along with other craft things, I decided they would look good on Kevin and the wire just goes through a piece of hair and just fold it back on itself
default_smile.png

Thank you Cayuse! He is a good boy
default_biggrin.png

A class is 32" and under, B class is over 32" up to 38" in America. Also, it looks like he needs his hooves trimmed. I see a flare ring around the front and hoof wall flares on the sides. Cute pics.

Actually, A-Class is under 34", B-Class is 34-38".

All AMHA registered horses are 34" or under. AMHR horses are under 38". And, measurements are at the last hair of the mane, not the top of the withers like every other breed out there.

Latest posts

Back