Is it worth the price?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
Hi all- As most of you know-i finally got my 2 mares home, and the breeders have agreed to help me get the R papers straight on them. (they werent transfered and expired while owned by prev owner) -i basically got reg papers signed on the back to the folks I bought them from.

I have 2 full sisters-1.5 year old paint filly and a 3 week old filly off of the same mare--Roselee- who is R reg. and out grew her AMHA papers.

Heres the kicker- the stallion is AMHA not R as I thought- and the owner agreed that if i paid everything- he would help me get the fillies registered...

I can hardship the stallion in R to get the foals registered after Jan 1st , but after you add the cost of paying the stallion owners AMHA and R yearly membership, cost of hardship- The stallions transfer into his name, bringing him permanent, late stallion reports on both foals,cost to get transfer and permanent on the mare and whatever I have missed-I have figured close to $500..

These fillies are very nice and my husband is saying NO..I feel that I should go ahead and pay it to get the papers. A grade horse is literally worth nothing with the way the economy is. if they werent so perfect for my breeding program, I wouldnt consider paying to register them. What would you do?

Also- with the mare outgrowing her A papers, the foals cannot be registered A-am I correct on that? Do you have to be a member to transfer a horse or bring it permanent?

I would get papers on a horse if it is possible to do so. Between the two horses, $500 is not much, all things considered. I don't know what you paid, but let's just say you paid $500 each for some grade minis. Adding $250 to a horse to make it a registered one for $750 sounds like a good deal to me? Maybe you paid even less, I don't know.

Andrea

There isn't really a "breeding program" unless you have paperwork to back it up. Without papers, your resulting foals will just be grade pets. Nothing wrong with that - if you can find good homes for them where they will be used for children on 4-H or just loved...but their chances for a good future a greater, and they are certainly worth more with papers. JMHO

The mare that is outgrowing her AMHA papers can still be registered with AMHR. And with AMHR, you need to be a member to do paperwork.

I personally won't even consider buying a horse if it doesn't have either AMHR or AMHA papers, or at least the ability to get them. Serious breeders have registered horses, IMO. So I would say, YES, it's worth the price, very definitely.
default_yes.gif

I can hardship the stallion in R to get the foals registered after Jan 1st , but after you add the cost of paying the stallion owners AMHA and R yearly membership, cost of hardship- The stallions transfer into his name, bringing him permanent, late stallion reports on both foals,cost to get transfer and permanent on the mare and whatever I have missed-I have figured close to $500..
It will be about $500 just for the R paperwork; I don't know how much extra the A work will be.

$65 for the stallion owner membership

$200 for the R hardship on the stallion

$60 for the regular registration fee

$10 to make him permanent

$25 to transfer him to the owner's name

$50 for two late stallion reports

$410 total

$25 to transfer the mare to the person you bought from

$15 to transfer the mare to you

$10 to bring the mare permanent

$460

Then another $75 to register the two fillies - $30 for the yearling, $45 for the 2 year old

$65 for your own membership (which you don't need to do paperwork now, but if you don't buy the membership you pay double for the registry fees so the membership will be the cheapest route. $600 all told for AMHR.

For me, I would want those registration papers, so it would have to be worth it. The 2012 hardshipping sale is definitely your friend!!

personally i'd pay the money to get the papers in order. but on the stallion since you're enhancing his breeding program by getting his stallion hardshipped i wouldn't pay the whole price. He should pay for the stallion or at least share in the cost of the stallion. imho

If you weren't going to plan to breed the mares, I wouldn't bother. but clearly you got them to breed, so absolutely you need to get them registered with AMHR as this is the only registry they are eligible for.

As a long time breeder and show person, I wouldn't even look at a horse that isn't registered AMHA/AMHR or both.

Just in case someone has mentioned registering them WCMHR (think thats right), that isn't worth your time or trouble. Those papers are, IMO, useless and would have no value at all to a reputable breeding or show farm.

One other option is to sell these horses as unregistered, get some money back, and buy horses that are already correctly registered.

Been there, done that. Bought a pregnant mare two years ago. She was bred to a stallion that had never been tranferred into the new owners name, never been brought permanant,no stallion report filed (for both registries). So the Owner and I shared the cost of those expenses. then the same deal for the mare. She needed to be DNA, transferred twice, brought permanant, late stallion report and a DNA on the new foal. Whew. I did it all though and now, stallion, mare and resulting colt are all double registered and totally up to date. It cost me $500, but it was worth it. Mind you I didn't go around anouncing to hubby how much it all cost. :p I'm so glad I did it though and you would be too. If a mini is worth breeding in your eyes, then it is worth doing. The resulting colt from all this is my future herd sire and I am going to let him breed his first mare this year coming. Can't wait to see what he can produce, that is when I'll really know if it was all worth while.

Register them! Without papers they are virtually worthless in today's market. And so the foals will be. If you are serious about breeding quality horses that have a future, they need their papers. I have paid to hardship a horse or two also and it is worth every penny in my opinion.

I think your questions have already been answered, so I won't go over that again. However, by the time you get them registered, you will have a considerable amount of money in them. I think a lot of new people get into this. They buy cheap horses from someone who has not kept up on their paperwork and then have to put a ton of money into them to get them registered. In many cases, the person could have bought fully registered horses for less money. Hopefully new people will see this and be warned and make their purchases from a reputable breeder who has kept paperwork up to date.

Just thought I would toss this out there for you to think about. If either of your mares have pinto markings and have papers with AMHR they would be eligible to be registered with PtHA.

To answer your question, I like the others feel(or would like to hope) they would be worth a bit more registered.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great points Freeland! Ditto that- sometimes the paperwork is such a nightmare it can't get straightened out and is just a big headache for the new owner who thought they were buying a registerable horse.

Since you have already got the paperwork sorted, even if it is only on paper, and you know it can be done, I would go ahead without a doubt. An unregistered horse is not worth breeding, IMO, you are breeding unregistered foals and, no matter how good they look and no matter that they could undoubtedly win the World Show, they never will get the chance, if they do not have those papers!!!

Thanks everyone- The owner of the stallion doesnt give a hoot about papers-so its all on me. I might as well bite the bullet....and pay the money- I bought them as WCMHR registered as pets, but found out there were papers for them out there. hence my pursuance,,, I didnt buy them cheap just to try to get papers as mentioned in another reply...i didnt know world class was worthless until getting on this forum.
default_rolleyes.gif

Please don't take a "you" in a post to mean you personally, mostly we talk in generics.

I think the mares, from the pictures, are well worth pursuing the papers for.

Just stop discussing this with your hubby for a bit and he will forget about it.....
default_whistling.gif

Thanks everyone- The owner of the stallion doesnt give a hoot about papers-so its all on me. I might as well bite the bullet....and pay the money- I bought them as WCMHR registered as pets, but found out there were papers for them out there. hence my pursuance,,, I didnt buy them cheap just to try to get papers as mentioned in another reply...i didnt know world class was worthless until getting on this forum.
default_rolleyes.gif
This is what I am referring to. The forum seems to be full lately of people who have bought horses from people who don't care. Then, when they find out, it costs them more money to get those horses registered than it would have cost to buy fully registered horses to begin with. The LB Sale Board is full of horses for sale over the entire country. MANY good horses for very reasonable prices. There is no need for anyone to buy unregistered horses and have to go through the hassle and expense of trying (often unsuccessfully) to get them registered.

I really do feel for you. It is easy to get taken if you don't do research first.

if i had known then what I know now about WCMHR- I def. would have spent a little more to get "correct" papers. I have learned my lesson
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back