Is it safe to put a very light saddle on a pregnant ponies back?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousie96

Reaction score
I know this sounds bad- but I am going stir crazy! Would it be safe to set a 15-20lb saddle on my 43" 10ish months pregnant mare? I am curious to see how she does with a saddle on her back. All I would do is set it on her and walk her a few steps. She was supposed to be lead line broke but I have never set anything on her. I don't want to hurt her or the baby. Thoughts please? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mousie96,

You have come to the right place for answers, there is a world of knowledge on here. Im only new to the pregnant Miniature world tho I have had larger horses foal in the past.

If it was me and my mare was at 10 months pregnancy I wouldn't be doing anything that she is not familiar with. If she is a maiden she is probably already wondering "what on earth is happening" in there.........

Regardless of maiden status or not Id think it would be best to wait till she foaled at least.

Good luck with the foaling
default_yes.gif

Possible, yes. Sensible? No, sorry. She needs to be mooching around doing nothing this late on. Ask your mother!!

I would not recommend it until after she recovers from delivery. It's not so much the weight of the saddle (although she may disagree) but the possibility of her reacting badly out of fear and stressing herself out and stressing her foal. Unless you knew for sure she was broke, you can't safely assume she is and if she spooks badly it can cause dangerous fetal distress. Keep us posted and please share baby pics!

I would just let her be. No need to stress or scare her before the baby.

That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for letting me know guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back