Is it really that hard to find good help???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
For warning this is a very long vent post.

First let me say I seldom go anywhere overnight that requires me to have to have somebody other than my partner take care of the animals. Well we decided to run to her parents this past weekend. They have been helping us out for months to get our house fixed, livable and healthy again so we felt we needed to go help them empty their storage shed.

We left Friday night and got back last night. I had asked her sister in law to take care of our calves while we were gone. I only have one horse on grain and figured he would be ok missing one day of meals as they do still have grass. Plus they don’t agree with what or how much I feed him so I didn’t want them messing with him. He is old and does require a lot of food to keep weight on.

I fed the calves Friday before we left. They only get grain once a day and have free choice hay. I had just given them a new bale of hay Thursday so they were good there. I have two pens of calves. The two older ones get one ice cream bucket of grain a day. I have cut them back some from what they were getting because I want my freezer meat mostly grass/hay fed. The other calf (my blind calf) is in a pen by herself right now as she is learning the area and I am trying to get her over some ring worm. She gets an ice cream bucket of grain to herself each day as well. She requires more as she was on deaths door when I got her and I am still brining her back, plus she doesn’t really have any grass left in her area, nor is she going on hay as well as the older two.

To make it simple for them I had fed Friday before I left. Dumped a new bag of grain in the bin and then filled the two buckets for them so they were ready. All they had to do was grab the buckets, dump them the feed and go. They had plenty of hay, and the water tanks are big enough to only need to be filled once a week. Between the 3 calves they get about 10 pounds of grain a day. A 50 pound bag lasts about 5 days. Well while we were gone they were complaining that I wasn’t feeding them enough. Now these people shouldn’t talk. Their dogs have ribs showing. I am the last person that anybody would say I don’t feed enough. My animals are all typically over weight instead of skinny. My calves are a bit boney but that is part of the breed they are not heavy calves, and its only across the back/hips. Their ribs are covered and they have nice flesh. No pot bellies like a lot of calves I see around here. Plus being they were bottle fed instead of mother raised it takes a bit more to get them where they need to be. The oldest calves are only 5-6 months old. Well, I knew when they said that they didn’t think we fed them enough I would going to have problems. I went out to fed this morning when I could actually see what I was doing. The brand new bag of grain that should still have a good 3 days of feeding from it, is over half gone, and they were all out of hay.

Now here is what I don’t get. 1) so much grain is gone 2) hay is gone 3) they acted like they haven’t been fed in days. Now, I am the only one that takes care of the animals unless I am sick or gone. They are my thing and I don’t like others taking care of them. I know who eats what, and what is normal for all of them. Some would say I am actually a freak about them, what they get fed and just the overall care/inspection of them on a regular basis. The older calves acted normal other then they had gone through way more hay than normal. Not a big deal they still have some grass in their field and I threw them more hay so they are good. Now my blind calf is the one that really tickes me off. Normally it takes her a few mins to come up to me, after all she can’t see. However she is a pretty loving calf so not normally and issue. I went out to feed her today and she came running right up, stuck her head in her bucket and went to town. Normally her grain lasts her all day and she nibbles throughout. Not today she would not leave her bucket. Her hay was also gone and typically I only have to give her hay every week or so as she is that slow on it. I made sure she was stocked before I left. So why is it that so much grain is missing, yet their hay was gone and they acted like they were starving? Granted calves always act like they are starving because they are calves however they were different than normal. And to top it off, when I went out this morning it was lucky the calves were even in as the gate wasn’t tied shut and it was actually open a little. Granted the calves won’t go far, but I shouldn’t have to worry about adults leaving gates open.

We also left the dogs home this time. The weather was nice so I just put them outside with food and water and asked them to put them in their crate at night. Now, all three dogs share a crate. Before anybody jumps it’s plenty big enough for all of them and its by their choice. Each dog has a individual crate but they opt to go together and if we try to separate them they will whine all night and have a dirty kennel by morning. So instead of trying to fight them we let them do as they wish and it has worked fine for years now. However, when we locked them in for the night last night it was apparent by the moved and open kennels that they were forcing them into their own. Now the people that were “caring” for them used to live with us so they do know how things work. There really isn’t a reason for it.

Ok so my vent is over. Just drives me nuts that I can lay everything out for people so they have to do very little and it would only take about 5 mins to do, yet they can still screw it up and not follow simple directions. Up to this point it has been about 4 years since I have gone anywhere for a extended amount of time requiring needing others to help, and now I remember why.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. My aunt has the same problems with her farm when she tries to go out of town for a few days.She leaves everything labeled with instructions and things still go wrong. I wonder if someone could created a barn-sitting service with people who knew what they were doing how well they could do. I guess next time hire a "professional" or get a friend who knows how to take care of animals.

She is a horse person so figured she would listen and know. There aren’t any professionals in this area (I have checked before) and my family is too far away for what little I need done.

Just annoyed that her husband always thinks he has to do things his way because he knows better. Even being fired from jobs because of doing that hasn’t taught him anything. I wouldn’t dream of going in to feeding somebody else’s animals and just doing it my way because I think I know better. The guy has never raised an animal of any sort in his life. Mind you I have several professional beef raisers(the kind that raise to sell to others) tell me my calves look good, and that I am actually feeding way more grain than they really need.

I feel your pain!

We took a much needed trip up to north Arkansas to meet up with friends and stay at a secluded cabin near the Buffalo River. The in-laws traveled here to animal sit for us. They got on hands training visiting with us for a couple of days before we got out of town. I appreciate their efforts and will not elaborate on all of what we saw when we got back. I saw early on Pop was in a fog. So Mom was told she could feed the horses and be sure and let Pop feed dogs and goats. Well, the big dogs got the feed that the little dogs are supposed to get. The big metal can of goat feed got ignored but a whole new sack got opened up. We did appreciate their efforts though we have come to realize that eventually your parents end up being your children.
default_biggrin.png

Not my parents. I have had my mom stop in in the past and just do the water on the horses as they get round bale hay. She was reliable, and even drove the half an hour every other day after her full day of work to make sure they had the water they needed.

This is a brother and sister in law (21 and 32) who live about 5 mins away and we always watch their daughter on a drop of a dime regardless of our plans, or the fact that they at times ask us to watch her then just dont show up and dont call to say anything.

The fact that the one appeared to have not been fed at all upsets me more then the over feeding. I know cattle can handle things easier then horses which is why I didnt have them bother with my horse. But the fact that they lived here (the two of them for 6 months, and him for much longer then that) they know how things work and function around here. Granted when they did have a horse here I took care of it more then they did, should have been a sign.

Normally we have the 13 year old neighbor boy help us out, which he does a much better job but he was out of town this weekend as well. My point is, if a person says they will do something it should be done. If they cant do it, or do it how they are told to, then they should say no.

I agree with you a 100 %

But even with the best help remember our way is not the only way.

I have learned as long as everyone is OK, just say thanks.

Sorry about your experience Ashley, That is what makes it hard to leave for a couple of days. We're going to a show in a couple of weeks and I'm stressing about the ones we're not taking.

I did feeding for 3 (paint horse) farms in the last month. Two farms were gone the same time for a week. That was not fun. I was stressing out about everything. Showed me one day and they didn't leave a list. So I called the first night and wrote everything on their dry erase board. 40 horses and about 20 different feeds and vitiamns, minerals, and supplements. I was so happy that week was over. Both the farms paid extra, but coming home at 11 and getting up at 4am to feed 3 farms and mine wasn't fun.

But they both wanted me to come back and do it again.
default_smile.png

So don't completely lose faith in people. Maybe try to find younger help around 18-20, that know horses and not like older adults who seem to know everything

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking from a business standpoint, yes good help is hard to find... bring animals and emotions into the equation and it only gets more complicated.

When my daughter must be away from home, we always move in and take care of the horses and other animals. Usually the horses are of many breeds and varied ages. Then there are goats, dogs, cats and chickens. She always leaves me a list of phone numbers in case of emergency of course.

Since her horses in particular, get many different feeds which are kept in metal garbage cans, I drop a note to myself in each can. For example one might read, 'Sid and Sam, one scoop morning and evening. Daphne one scoop evening only.' This makes it much easier for me to make sure everyone has the correct food via her instructions. I also label the goat and chicken feeds.

I do think it is difficult to remember what many different animals might eat, when one is new to a farm and one day of being shown, doesn't always help when the person is left on their own. My little notes to myself, help me a lot. I'd probably not remember everything if I didn't have them.

Lizzie

Yes, it really is that hard to find good reliable help! It's one reason I rarely get too far from home.

Unfortunately if the person looking after the animals thinks the owner doesn't do it right he/she is likely to just go ahead & do things their own way. Increase feeds or decrease feeds, depending if he thinks the animals currently get not enough or too much...I can live with overfeeding, because I'd rather the animals be given too much rather than be left to go hungry, but I have a major problem with gates being left open or even closed but not latched. It's simple enough for anyone to double check all gates before leaving!

When it comes to feeding MY animals MY way is the only way. I would never dream of changing what somebody else wants their animals fed. I have looked after many other animals for people and always did what I was instructed to do.

I do have several different feeds in the barn. However, all they fed were the calves, and they both get the same feed. I had their meals already put in buckets sitting inside the feed bin. All they had to do was grab the bucket and dump it to the each pen. Not hard to follow those rules. I did change what I was feeding the calves as what they got before wasnt safe for horses and I didnt want to risk somebody ever screwing up the feeds.

When it comes to feeding MY animals MY way is the only way. I would never dream of changing what somebody else wants their animals fed. I have looked after many other animals for people and always did what I was instructed to do.

I do have several different feeds in the barn. However, all they fed were the calves, and they both get the same feed. I had their meals already put in buckets sitting inside the feed bin. All they had to do was grab the bucket and dump it to the each pen. Not hard to follow those rules. I did change what I was feeding the calves as what they got before wasnt safe for horses and I didnt want to risk somebody ever screwing up the feeds.

There really is no reason for not doing things right when all a person has to do is grab a bucket and dump it.

Print out your original post and reread it next time you prepare to go out of town, just in case your memory (or difficulty finding someone) softens your opinion of the brother and SIL.

It is infuriating to have someone insist on doing things their way. I had one of our neighbors feed ONCE. She did as I asked, but then told me afterward that I was doing everything wrong. Horses don't need beet pulp to be soaked! That filly doesn't need to put on weight! Why buy that expensive orchard grass hay? Yadda, yadda, yadda! I never asked her again.

Does your vet know of anyone willing to do vacation? Perhaps one of their techs or staff members? Keep cultivating the neighbor kid, but start looking now for a back-up.

I will never understand that. I house-sit (or used to before the neighbors all got rid of their animals) and while I sometimes ended up coming late at night to do the once-a-day places, I ALWAYS did it exactly as the owners had asked and tried to leave things neater than I found them. Everything went where the owner had it whether it made sense to me or not, their check lists got completed, I left them a note on the final day about anything that came up and called with any issues...I mean, really! That's how I want it done at my place.

We used to have a really tough time finding someone we could trust as Mom's older gelding had seizures and mine was on a completely liquid diet but since they've both passed away it's much easier. The neighbors can come over and toss the boys hay while I'm doing an evening shift if my folks are out of town and we've got a reliable 4-H alumni who just returned home from college in CA who has resumed her former horse-sitter duties for us while she looks for work and she does a fantastic job! She always texts me updates in the evenings and lets me know what to expect when I return home, who's been fed for the night, etc. so I don't have to wonder. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Leia

I'm feeling guilty now, as I mentioned the bad but neglected our favorites -- Erin (Moore Acres) and Daryl (BigDog_LittleHorses) are incredibly wonderful horse, chicken, and cat feeders. I trust them implicitly.

The only problem is that one of our main out-of-town events -- our annual beach drive -- involves THEM!

Yep, I understand your pain. I can't go anywhere ever. While the rest of the mob might survive a babysitter's care my chronic founderer definitely would not.

No, can't go anywhere, ever!

Latest posts

Back