Is it possible for a horse to have brain damage?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

Reaction score
after

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure.

Neuro issues can be caused by all kinds of things... brain tumors, head trauma, O2 deprivation, high fever, toxins, even birth defects. Some I swear are just not wired right and listen to the voices in their head.

What you describe sounds pretty dang generic though and could be any number of things, from bad eye sight to ear issues to pain, allergic reactions... and of course, neuro issues.

Just curious, but is it seasonal in any way? I've had a few horses do what you describe (if I'm reading correctly) but it's due to nasty flies burrowing up into the tender skin between their back legs and chewing away, or from hives from the same. But if you bend down and look, you can see the bites. If it's a stallion or gelding, have you ruled out his sheath as being an issue? Warm, dark, moist can make for some nasty, painful issues.

Down here in Texas we get some monster dinosaur bugs that could carry away small toddlers, and when they bite, they HURT worse then any bee or wasp and can cause a histamine reaction in the skin.

thank you so much for your reply

Gosh Lynda, I'm sorry to hear that. My first thought was his sheath. But if that's ok, I have no ideas that have not already been mentioned.

Hugs to you and your boy.

I would have Bonnie "talk" to him and see if it's something we humans can't see.

That said, I do have a 3YO filly that was very ill as a baby and I'm pretty sure she's a bit brain damaged from the fever. She just isn't "there" sometimes. Not mean, not hard to handle, just stupids. Like losing her friends in a five acre field... a totally flat field. She hollars and looks around but just doesn't see them.
default_rolleyes.gif

Lucy

I couple questions out of curiosity. Is he a gelding or stallion? Does he actually bite and chase himself? My reason for asking this is, I have seen a few horses do this, and the vets can't offer any explainations as in your case. I always thought that is was a pain issue related to ulcers. I have only noticed this in real hyper horses when they get wound up. So my therory could hold true on ulcers. I have a horse that was put on Gastro Gaurd and is getting better seems much better. I have only seen this oddly enough in geldings and stallions and not in mares.

Also I had thoughts on EPM. Or this may sound kind of crazy but transgender horses. Okay stop laughing. It happens in all species. Maybe it is a PMS thing.

There are horses that will do self mutilation--reaching around & biting themselves. I had one that when he was a stallion was kept in a corral by himself--he got so he would back up to the fence & start kicking, even though there was nothing/no one there to kick at. It just seemed to be something to do. We gelded him & he was still doing it. Once we turned him out to pasture with the other horses he stopped doing that--I've always believed that such behavior tends to be a boredom caused vice--much like stall walking or weaving. I wouldn't call it brain damage in those cases. In some cases it might be more of a nervous disorder.

The behavior you describe is actually pretty common and is thought to be related to a stressful situation for the horse. It seems to be more common in stallions, but I have known mares to develop these behaviors and a gelding or two. With many of them it was worse before feeding time.

Just my suggestion, but I would try the horse on ulcer medication for a period of time and also change his living situation. If the horse is isolated I would try to find a companion for him. Lots of turn out time with another horse. If he can't actually be 'with' another horse I would try accross the fence.

I would be interested to hear what is ultimately done for this horse and how it helped, or not.

Charlotte

I"d start with having some blood drawn.

EPM comes to mind right away as does seizures and ulcers.

Then I would change every single thing about him drastically and do a process of elimination and go through his entire life with a fine tooth comb.

Use a different kind of bedding.

Use a different kind of hay.

Feed a new kind of food.

Change his stall to another.

Change his routine.

Change his pasture to another.

If he is inside too much, turn him out.

Something has got to give.

Marty we do not really have EPM, so if he has it he would be the first!!!

I would start him on Gastroguard....you can get it here and if your Vet can't then contact the RVC here at Potters Bar, or give me a call and I'll sort it for you.

You can use Ranitidine it is a lot cheaper but since this is likely to also be a learned behaviour issue I would use the more expensive option to start with.

I think he got stressed when he was still entire, he probably started ulcers and they have never been addressed.

In the meantime you can add a teaspoon of ordinary household Bicarb to his feed, it may well help.

But you need to actually stand up and tell the vet what you want to do because, if we are not correct, it can do no harm to anything except your pocket!!!

I agree that he never looks happy, BTW, and I know that he ought to be!!!

thank you all for your replies

ok this is an interesting topic,

i know a stallion that chases his tail kicks out does the tail swishing, bucks in place grabs his stifle, bites at his side...

first time i had ever seen something like this, he does it (it seems) when another stallion is near by, or can't have a mare that just walked by. Then i caught his half brother doing this same behavior at a calmer rate (not so excitable). a friend of mine bought a filly from the 1st stallion and after i body clipped her one day and put her in a stall she started doing this. she was really good to clip so it wasn't like it was a fight or anything. so now i have bought a 2 yr old colt from the brother of the first stallion and he does the same thing when he sees the horses go out on the grass paddock or they disappear to the back of the pasture... i have had many people tell me its a tantrum and can't find anything physical, (illness or injury) wrong with these guys. and they are all related, is it possible it runs in the line,

just thought i would throw this in here for my own curiousity, does this seem like a possible solution, this stuff only happens when they are upset about something..

Tho I'd love to see a pic of him, have his eyes been checked for floaters? Just a fleeting thot....and I also think tummy meds will do him good...carafate sucralfate is inexpensive with some nice yogurt. Now tho, tis a learned behavior as well so time patience and calm may well help in the long run.

,when i got him, he was in a very dark stable on his own for 16 months no company
I would guess that this is the root of his behaviour.
Sometimes a horse will stop doing these things once he's turned out on pasture and/or with other horses, other times some horses will continue with the same behaiour, no matter where he's kept or how much company he has.

this is napoleon..thanks

My stallion does some similar behaviors!!!! When he is near another stallion/gelding he will look at his belly, lift his leg and bite at his penis!!!! Then he squeals, kicks and does it all over again! I think it is a male inferiority complex or trying to prove to the other male that he is "Better " or "Bigger"---you know the male EGO!!!!!
default_wacko.png

He also throws FITS when his mares aren't ready for him...he kicks out in front and then lets loose with both rear legs at anything or anyone within striking distance!!!!! He has kicked several people including me and my husband...we are working on corrective measures but we also know to stand well away when he is talking to his girls!!! BOYS!!!!!
default_gaah.gif

If you want in his brain.......get with Bonnie Fogg!

I have a mule with real issues. At 3 days old, he had a heat stroke. We fought for him for a full day to get him reydrated and back to nursing on his own (long story on his history with momma). He grew up fine but we noticed that once in a while he would do a 180 in personality. He really freaked out if you wore a big cowboy hat. We had Bonnie do a reading on him and found out all kinds of interesting info about him. She has helped him a lot and it would be well worth the cost to have her try it with your boy.

Latest posts

Back