Is it ok to clip the face in the winter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
I'm in central Texas, the temps have been anywhere between the 30's and 80's so far this winter (even both within 24 hours but that's Texas). Not sure what kind of winter to expect as last years was very mild and the year before we had 15F for days and ice everywhere.

Now, I have an "event" coming up possibly, will know more soon but can't reveal details. My little cute filly looks like a mountain goat with all her wintercoat (I'm sure you all can relate LOL), little fat pony
default_smile.png

I'd like to at least clip her face to make her look more presentable. She is only outside during the day, cozy stall with bedding at night and protected from wind and rain. (should we ever get that wet something falling from the sky again...)

Do I need to protect her head from the cold when we get a cold spell? Or should she be fine with the rest of her wool?

Thanks in advance for all your advice
default_smile.png

She will be fine, and it will grow back faster than you think. I keep faces shaved on the horses I'm working through the winter, and the driving horses also get a trace clip so the harness will fit. If it should get bitterly cold it won't last long here lol, and you can always put a slinky on her.

Jan

I always keep my horses' heads clipped in the winter. I can't bear that yak look. I don't clip closely, just enough so anyone could tell it's a horse. Mine are mostly in the pasture and it doesn't bother them to have no beard. They have shelter when they choose.

Can you believe the weather so far?!

I know right! Its driving me crazy to constantly have to change between 2 coats, one coat, no coat, tank top and that in a matter of an hour!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that about the "winter look"! When I went to look at her, the buyer brought her in a residential neighborhood where dogs and cats are the only pets. There were several people walking by who had a confused look on their face, one of them stopped and asked if "it" was a dog - she looked like a mix between a mountain goat and great Pyrenees and you could hardly tell the difference between the front and the rear.

Also, is it normal for mini owners to get offended when people call them "ponies"? ;)

Oh you will be fine, when I feel like it (which so far this fall and winter I have felt like it), I keep our babies under jaw and throat clipped mostly so that they look nice when people come to the farm, and it gets cold here in Ohio and we get straight winds as we live pretty much out by ourselves without a lot to block the wind.

I would never clip heads during the winter months, but like Leeana, I have clipped jaw lines to tidy things up if I think it necessary. I never used to clip the heads of my big horses (competition/hunters), used to full body clip, up neck to back of ears and under the jaw up the cheek to the bridle line - always liked them to have a little protection to face and ears when working facing into any bad weather!

But I do think that it is a matter of personal choice.
default_yes.gif

I was wondering the same for in MI...the weather right now is between 30-50 degrees lately sometimes past 50...in Dec which is crazy...but is it okay to shave their face so I can still practice with halter without the fuzzy fur..they look weird..lol..And yes I hate the beard thing too. I don't blanket them at all either...they come in at night tho around 5-6pm and go outside in the am very early(4:30-5am. Would it be okay to do the whole face and the throatlatch? Plus then I can get cute photos of them..lol.

Like many, I clip mine, not too close tho, just enough to tell it's a horse. I do the throat latch a little also. Not ears or top of head tho, they need the fur to keep from getting forstbite on the ears.

Interesting thread! I live in Upstate NY and our temps are going between low teens to up in the 50's the last two days. I would LOVE to clip Cookie's face so I can see what she is hiding under all that yak hair LOL.

I love the winter yak look and the huge beards some of them manage to grow. No way would I clip their faces in winter. Might get a pair of scissors and give them a little trim under the jaw line.... bit clip, no way.

I always clip under their jaw because I find that they will get ice there when they drink if I don't. I really only clip there and the bridle paths.

Oh I wont be "clipping" Cookie's face; but I have trimmed some of the beard off her to prevent the ice chunks like you mentioned... no need to worry about her bridle path since her mane was roached..

I was wondering the same for in MI...the weather right now is between 30-50 degrees lately sometimes past 50...in Dec which is crazy...but is it okay to shave their face so I can still practice with halter without the fuzzy fur..they look weird..lol..And yes I hate the beard thing too. I don't blanket them at all either...they come in at night tho around 5-6pm and go outside in the am very early(4:30-5am. Would it be okay to do the whole face and the throatlatch? Plus then I can get cute photos of them..lol.
I don't clip mine in winter - I'm in Michigan - because the weather is just too unpredictable. The inside of barns get incredibly cold, and I don't want to have to worry about whether they are warm or not. Not to be too harsh, but that is their only protection from the cold, and I don't think that should be taken away to take a few photos or worry about working with a halter. A small bridle path - one blade length, should be enough if you really want to work them in halter. You probably will have to use the next size larger, but that's is a minor problem versus an uncomfortable horse. Think about this - would you prefer to go outside in 20 degree weather without a hat or with a nice warm one?

This is an example of how I keep our horses trimmed up during the winter, usually I just do this when I have people coming to the farm, but If I feel up to it I will keep up with it from time to time. For the tamer ones I just like for them to look tidy when people come to the farm or for pictures.

561683_4272833654079_2122338396_n.jpg

542995_4236212498573_570236407_n.jpg

252245_4272780972762_370625220_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been experimenting on my winter clips on our horses. I want them to have some protection from the weather. Since we work them through the Winter, need less hair for fitting equipment and to keep them from excessive sweating. I've been using different blade sizes, such as #4 and #5 on necks and faces. My favorite are the snap on combs or blade attachments that come in many sizes. These are pretty cheap and leave much longer lengths. I can skim off some really long hair under the belly and legs. I also do under the girth area or wherever needed. It is harder to blend, but evens out very quickly. This way I don't have to blanket, they have plenty of protection and don't take forever to dry out if sweaty. I have done the whole horse for Fall/ Spring events.

I keep all of mine "trimmed" (I have 9)

Every time the farrier comes out I trim... Bridle Path as normal, Muzzle and chin to the jaw line with a #10 blade, underneath the jaw to the throatlatch also with a #10.

From the side and front they dont look super clipped per se, but they look tidy and their halters fit better.

We're expecting a drop in temps next week, had nearly 80 today and will get below freezing one night next week. I'm holding out clipping her face until Thursday (the "event" is next weekend) and will not do it as short as in the summer, just to reveal her face
default_smile.png

This is not just for a couple of pictures... Will post pics about it once it's said and done and I'm allowed to (may have to wait a few weeks/months though).
default_smile.png

If you'd like to trim but leave the hair a 'bit' longer you can use a #7 blade.

#7 leaves a bit more hair than a #10 but makes them recognizable as horses not

yak's, dogs or goats
default_smile.png

It's what I use when they need 'company's coming' faces in the cooler months.

We live in the Pacific NW. In most winters we don't get the extremes of weather

some of you get but this blade has worked for us.

Interesting as I was contemplating some trimming up because none of the halters fit, and so far it has been really mild like last year. It's just *where to begin*. I sure wouldn't want to clip short though since it can get really cold and you never know when around here. I can blanket, and they have shelter, but I don't have hats they could wear
default_smile.png
Glad I can read how others do for winter.

Latest posts

Back