Is it ok to clip the face in the winter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't clip mine in winter - I'm in Michigan - because the weather is just too unpredictable. The inside of barns get incredibly cold, and I don't want to have to worry about whether they are warm or not. Not to be too harsh, but that is their only protection from the cold, and I don't think that should be taken away to take a few photos or worry about working with a halter. A small bridle path - one blade length, should be enough if you really want to work them in halter. You probably will have to use the next size larger, but that's is a minor problem versus an uncomfortable horse. Think about this - would you prefer to go outside in 20 degree weather without a hat or with a nice warm one?
Thanks for the tips.
default_smile.png
I just wondered.
default_smile.png
I did trim up their chin "Beards" last nite..and I always keep up their bridle path.
default_smile.png

Interesting as I was contemplating some trimming up because none of the halters fit, and so far it has been really mild like last year. It's just *where to begin*. I sure wouldn't want to clip short though since it can get really cold and you never know when around here. I can blanket, and they have shelter, but I don't have hats they could wear
default_smile.png
Glad I can read how others do for winter.
I'm in Nevada, too, Rubyview. Outside of Reno. We have such extreme weather I worry about clipping. You really never do know when it might turn very cold. Are you anywhere near Reno? We had 70 mph wind gusts last week. We get at least two windy days like that every spring.

Just a hint about head clipping in winter. (If living in northern climates, I wouldn't....other than trimming the beard and a bridle path.) Otherwise, you'd be okay in areas that stay above 30 degrees F. if you clip with a "long blade", ie a 7 or 8, which leaves a layer of fur........and we NEVER clip the ears in winter. A horse's ears are the first things that can suffer from the cold.

We are near Elko, the great hub of activity over here (tongue inserted firmly in cheek) 4 hour drive to Reno, I LOVE Reno! The lady I talked into selling me Masq is in Spanish Springs. I also scoff at the weather reports that will say for example, "High wind warning in effect (every other week) with sustained winds of 40 mph and gusts of 50mph (as I look out at my pines bent over on the dirt, my wheelbarrow blown to the fenceline, my chickens hiding in the coop, and the neighbor bent forward at a 90 degree angle trying to get in his truck." I even have to trim horse hooves level frequently because they are bent so much against the wind, their hooves wear more on one side (just kidding) All the while knowing that like you it is at least 70 mph gusts lol. We get the worst because we are at the base of the mountains and I wouldn't trade the location, well except maybe to go back home.

I feel so bad when the mini's get such thick long winter coats, and fall and spring have long warm spells, then it can get pretty bitter cold with blizzards. Haven't yet seen a nice calm snow of large flakes lol.

This is an example of how I keep our horses trimmed up during the winter, usually I just do this when I have people coming to the farm, but If I feel up to it I will keep up with it from time to time. For the tamer ones I just like for them to look tidy when people come to the farm or for pictures.

561683_4272833654079_2122338396_n.jpg

542995_4236212498573_570236407_n.jpg

252245_4272780972762_370625220_n.jpg

This is exactly how I keep my boys, during the winter. The girls just get their mane paths done. I love the clean shaven look, over the "fat woolie hippo" look
default_risa_suelos.gif

One of mine is referred to as "mini-mastodon" It is not rare to "lose" his harness in his coat. I know it's there, but after about 5 minutes of driving, it just works its way down and disappears. Clipping is frustrating as I often enter an event about 110 miles south of us in February. We are a mile high, so the temperature difference is atrocious. The really hard part is keeping the wee beastie fit through the winter to go there. Our night temps. can drop to teens or lower, then the day temps will be in the 40s, and while my guys have wind and rain/sleet/snow/blizzard protection, they still have to deal with the cold/hot "mood swings."

This year, I didn't go to the early event, so he hasn't had to work. I will trim the mastodon's beard, a bridle path and about half the hair off his fetlocks - now touching the ground.

I would like to do a trace clip to get him ready for an ADT in May (where one year it hailed and snowed), but we are now swinging temps from 20s to 80s! We will still likely have 2 more snow storms, so I am clipping bits at a time, and saving his head clip for last.

default_frusty.gif

Latest posts

Back