Is it broken?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot

Reaction score
Hi, I just wondered if any one has any experience as to give an idea if an ankle is broken.

I fell while riding tonight. I am a little banged up. But what concerns me is just above my ankle. It is puffy and hurts.

I was laid in bed worrying if it was fractured or something. I can put a little weight on it and hobble around. So am thinking it should be fine. Can it wait till Monday morning for the doctors office?

Thanks all, Emma

Well, I wouldn't wait....why wait? Do you have an after hours clinic you can go to? At least there you can get some pain meds.

Could be just a sprain...but a sprain can be as painful as a break and can take a very long time to heal, sometimes longer than a break because you continue to use it so much. Hope it feels better.

If I remember correctly.......Docters like to see a break within 6 hours.....has to do something with having a better chance to correct it early on.......something to do with the healing process. You better get it...

Good luck.

I am a Physical therapist assistant. You would be better to go ahead and get it checked out now than to wait until Monday. If it is fractured it needs to be looked at now. If it is a sprain, which hopefully that is what it is, they still may not want you walking on it and it will need to be wrapped possibly. Have you put any ice on it? Do so. The thing to do is RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. It will swell and this is as saying we learned in school. It works. Hope all is well. If you don't want to go to the emergency room then look and see if you have a urgent care of some kind. A lot of the times they are opened on Saturdays here. Let us know how it goes and if I can do anything else. Kristy

Please don't wait--be smarter than I was. Years ago I was riding a young colt and embarassed myself when he jumped as I was getting on. I knew I could get by it....no big deal just a little sore. I am tough. Yeah, right--to this day I still have pain in the bone that healed but not properly. I wish I had someone then to tell me not to wait. Do yourself a favor and then you may not pay like I have. Best of Luck!

Thank you guys. I will get it checked on Monday at my doctors. I was ready to go this morning to the hospital but the swelling went down some. I am going to avoid the hospital if I can for now. I am a little nervous about waiting. I called a couple of friends who are nurses and they said that I would probably have more swelling if it was broke. They said that now they don't set bones straight away anyway. So waiting will be ok.

I am so blessed. I have a light week with work next week. I can reschedule what I had easily. Was looking forward to some R and R. Now I will have some elevated leg R and R. Oh well for my spring/summer cleaning.

Emma

Just to add that I hate to say it, but I am trying to avoid the hospital because we are self pay. I just got done paying a hospital bill. Health cost is a fact of life. But I just just paid it! Hubby and I both have prexisting conditions, so health insurance has always been hard.

Emma

Thank you guys. I will get it checked on Monday at my doctors. I was ready to go this morning to the hospital but the swelling went down some. I am going to avoid the hospital if I can for now. I am a little nervous about waiting. I called a couple of friends who are nurses and they said that I would probably have more swelling if it was broke. They said that now they don't set bones straight away anyway. So waiting will be ok.

I am so blessed. I have a light week with work next week. I can reschedule what I had easily. Was looking forward to some R and R. Now I will have some elevated leg R and R. Oh well for my spring/summer cleaning.

Emma

Just to add that I hate to say it, but I am trying to avoid the hospital because we are self pay. I just got done paying a hospital bill. Health cost is a fact of life. But I just just paid it! Hubby and I both have prexisting conditions, so health insurance has always been hard.

Emma
I can't say I blame you in that case about waiting. Yes, they can't really set a bone until the swelling goes down. Do you have someone that can wrap it for you for to compress it and aide the swelling going down so that if it is broken, which probably not if it is feeling some better already, you don't have to hear them say it is broken but it is too swollen so you have to come back in a few days. They may not "set" it anyway. They may just wrap it well and give you a walking boot so that you are not putting all your weight on it. I have treated many with these. If it is only sprained it may need to be wrapped or have some kind of support for at least a little while. You may even need a small walking boot for this. It just depends on how bad of a sprain it is. Well, good luck and be sure and let us know how it all goes. Kristy

An x-ray is what will tell you if it is broken or not. Go to a walk-in or emerg.

Thank you very much. I have been really really good today. Watched the Lifetime channel this afternoon. Was kinda nice. Never really give myself an excuse to sit on the couch all day. I am sure the doctor will send me for an xray next week. But going to him and then for an ordered xray will be much cheaper than emergency.

Hubby helped feed the horses. He was upset doing it. He is quite upset with the animals at the moment. Even though it was my fault. He said I hate when these animals hurt her. But, he loves me trimming. So I don't know. Men are strange. They say they can't figure women out.

I have been elevating and icing. Compression? should I ace bandage it?

Emma

When I broke my ankle I knew. I had no doubt believe you me. I would get it checked out though. Swelling means you did something.

chico

Thank you very much. I have been really really good today. Watched the Lifetime channel this afternoon. Was kinda nice. Never really give myself an excuse to sit on the couch all day. I am sure the doctor will send me for an xray next week. But going to him and then for an ordered xray will be much cheaper than emergency.

Hubby helped feed the horses. He was upset doing it. He is quite upset with the animals at the moment. Even though it was my fault. He said I hate when these animals hurt her. But, he loves me trimming. So I don't know. Men are strange. They say they can't figure women out.

I have been elevating and icing. Compression? should I ace bandage it?

Emma
If the swelling is real bad yes I would, but make sure and not get it too tight. Also any pressure you put in it make sure you go up the leg with the pressure. Too much pressure at the bottome will cut the circulation off more.

Well I went for an xray today and have an appointment for 3pm with my doctor tomorrow. I have a great doctor who is considerate of our self pay statis. The nurse talked to me and they determined that they would want an xray regardless. So I was sent up first to get that. I do have a lump. DOn't know if it is a hematoma (sp?) or fracture of some kind. The swelling is amost gone and I am walking nearly normal. I do think I have a very high pain tolerance. I would think it would hurt more than this if it was broken. I called my Mum (she lives overseas) though and she said this winter she had a broken foot and was shocked when the doctor said it was broke. I don't think mine is now, but I could be suprised. Thank you for asking. I will update tomorrow.

Emma

Came back from Doctors. It is not broken, Yeah. The lump is fluid. Strange how hard fluid is. LOL. But a bad bruise and some sprain. I am soooo soo relieved. Thanks for all the help, Emma

Glad to hear it is not broken but sometimes soft tissue damage is worse and takes longer to heal!!

When I broke my arm completely in half a few years ago, I went to emergency on a Saturday morning with it. They were going to send me home til Monday cause the doctor for that was not on call. I told them NO WAY and you get him here.. I am not walking around like this for two more days! In addition to being 32 miles from the hospital! They called the Dr. in, he set it, got it braced up and off I went. Then went back days later to the office to get a cast on it after the swelling went down. I knew when I landed on it it was broken.

Hope you heal quickly and it's nothing serious or that takes a long time to heal. Bet it will be sore for a while though! Take it easy!!

Latest posts

Back