Is it bad to drive them five days a week?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Is too hard on them to drive five days a week? In good footing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you work them up to it and it's not too long each time (hours), it would be good for them to be worked that often
default_smile.png

The more often you can work your horses, the better. Of course, it is important to remember to gradually work them up to it, and if they have a particularly strenuous workout, give them a lighter day or a day off the next day.

My horses are worked almost seven days a week I can, usually it is not driving, but if I could I would!

Horses are made to be pure muscle and constantly be moving. Standing stalled day after day is counterproductive to what they were designed for.

Andrea

I agree with everything that has been said. I like to vary my horse's "workouts", not only for his sanity, but mine as well. Going round and round is boring and a smart horse's mind can go "numb". One day, I might work more on driven dressage, the next cones accuracy, the next cones speed, through the woods for Cross Country, or line driving so I can see him move, etc. We always start with a warm up though, and then move to our more planned activity for the day. I don't drive every day. That would be like work for me, but I do try to drive at least 4x a week in the fair months. Winter's driving is more dictated on the cold. We have an unheated indoor, and even though we do cones inside, it's still a bit like going round and round. (Where is the yawning emoticon?) Since the space is tighter, it's good practice to take sharper corners. (Although last week I took one too sharp, and Alax plowed over a cone. Broke one brand new official cone my husband got us for Christmas, and also broke a floorboard on my cart. Husband was standing there to watch the whole thing. Oops!
default_rolleyes.gif
I kinda got a lecture about making more work for him...)

Just be aware of the age of the horse. An experienced, conditioned competitor will not only be okay with five days a week but probably enjoy it. A two year old, on the other hand, will rapidly be overfaced and probably do damage to his joints on such a schedule. Keep the level of work to what the horse can mentally and physically handle and be responsive to their needs.

Leia

My trainer has always told me, if they are WP or CP horses, they can be driven everyday and should to keep up their stamina. As long as they are physically fit, its just fine. He said your pleasure horses/ponies should go every other day more so they keep up their form and don't wear them out. So I follow these rules.

Latest posts

Back