Is he registerable?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage

Reaction score
I'm considering getting my first horse (finally) and the one I'm looking at is a 36' mini gelding. The current owner doesn't think he is registered, but she said the person she bought him from used to show him in halter and driving. They didn't seem to know much about his past beyond that. I don't know if he's pinto since the picture is cropped at his midsection, but he does have a bald face. I'm not sure if that is a pinto specific trait or not.

Any suggestions?

I'm mainly looking for a pet and horse experiance as I'm a college student studying Equine Science and Management; but i'd love to get into competing one day. He is broke to ride and drive so I might do a little pony riding business on the side.

Thanks!

If you want I can post a link to the sale so you guys can see his picture.

Welcome to the forum!
default_saludando.gif
I love your avatar LOL!

Maybe you can ask his owners to put you in contact with the older owners to find out his registered name, if any.

My first thought was finding out is registered name so he could be looked up (someone here would help you) then you would know in whose name was was in last so you could then see about trying to get his papers.

OK, I admit it, I came to enjoy your avatar again
default_laugh.png

I am not sure what you do or don't know about miniature registries, so please do not take offense. I am going to treat you like a total newbie, sorry if you are not.

As already mentioned,if he is registered, you need to find out who the last owner was on his paperwork, that is who you will need the transfer from.

Next, I am sure I will get flammed, but if you are told he is gold seal or world class reg. those papers do not have much value at all, or as others have said in the past, you can line your bird cage with them. I would hate to see someone charging you an exorbitant fee for a horse with papers from those two registries based on the papers alone.

If the horse has been registered with the AMHA and is 36" it is over and besides using them as a guide as to who

his previous owners were and where the horse has been, they are not valid usuable papers to show under that registry, the horse is too tall.

Last, and please forgive me if you know this info, many people getting into minis do not know this right off the bat, a horse only registered under AMHA can not show in AMHR shows and a horse registered under only

the AMHR can not show under the AMHA shows.

You can still do fun shows, local shows, ADS, and just enjoy them.

I do always says it is best to support a reputable breeder or a reputable owner who has a good reputation and a good relationship with their vet, equine dentist, farrier and so on....

First of all welcome to the forum!! I am going to mostly ignore the issue of registration, and raise another issue. I would not even think about buying any horse from a photo that only showed part of the horse! Now I have bought a mini sight unseen, from a breeder recommended by another breeder we trusted, where lots of photos and a video were provided. As other said, there are a lot of things you can do with an unregistered mini (or horse) especially if they drive and/or are pinto, but if they have major conformation flaws, you might be in for disappointment, big vet bills, or general heartache. Of course, this isn't exactly what you asked so I hope you don't take offense. With a blaze face you could likely get him registered with the Pinto association (www/pinto.org) either in the color registry or as breeding stock. Shows around here offer plenty of classes for both and are lots of fun!

lol thanks for all the compliments on my avatar. And yes I'm pretty much a newb though I have done as much homework as I can but Im still learning. Horses are not something in my family. I'm sure that if I asked for more photos she could provide them. Unfortunately as far as non AMHA or AMHR shows go I don't know if there are many. I live in PA, not far from Philly and we're sorely lacking in anything equine. At least, within traveling distance to me until i get a car. Im not looking for a hardcore show horse right now. Don't have the time. This is still a feeler for me. Thanks again for all the help!

EDIT: The ad is gone now. I guess he sold.
default_sad.png
Oh well. I don't seem to have much luck with this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Keystone Miniature Horse Club is having a fun show this Sunday.You don't have to be a member to come watch or to participate (you just need to have a mini with a neg coggins to join in), while its always a great time to join, it isn't necessary. I am not sure where you are located, but the fun show is not far from the Lehighton exit off the turnpike
default_smile.png

If you are not too far from Phila,PA we have a very nice Delmarva Miniature Horse club based in central Delaware about 90 minutes south of Phila.We have a show coming up June 4-5 at Delaware State Fair Grounds in Harrington,DE.there are always lots of people who come from Pa&NJ.Maybe you could catch a ride with someone.We also have 2 fun shows each year.welcome to the wonderful world of Minis.

I agree that there are a LOT of nice horses out there for a reasonable price whose paperwork is IN ORDER. I have seen paperwork nightmares that have NEVER been resolved or figured out, so I would avoid even going that route if you want something that is registered.

Welcome to the Forum and great suggestions from folks to go check out some local shows, etc... and start to meet people. You never know what you will find??!!

Latest posts

Back