Is anyone still feeding Stategy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I know a couple of years ago, many people were having a lot of success with this feed. I switched to straight oats but am thinking about switching my mare that I plan to show back to Stategy.

I have my stallion, gelding as well as two older hard keeping riding horse geldings on it and they are all doing very well. The mini stallion and gelding get 1 lb each per day and the riding horses 5 lbs each per day.

I don't use it on my pregnant or nursing mares - haven't had good results keeping weight so they get Mare & Foal and haven't used it on anyone younger than 2 yo because they don't have a nice filled out look to me so they get a 50/50 Mare & Foal and Omolene 100 mix.

I love strategy and feed it to all of my breeding animals and most of my boarders feed it to their show horses.

I did all last year to my performance horses, but swapped to mini and pony in the fall - I like how they look on the mini and pony, and it's $1.00 a bag cheaper for me than the strategy. My halter guys get Omolene 200. My one mini who gets a cresty neck seemed to do worse on the strategy, she's why I initially switched, but they all seem to be doing at least as well on the mini and pony, and at the price difference, I'm going to stay with that and see how they look come show season.

Not me and I'm sticking to my oats. I even worked a couple of mine over the summer and fall and the oats really hold up well.

Flying Minis, I'm surprised that it caused your horse to get a cresty neck because I know of a top trainer who uses it for that very reason. Things that make you go hmmm, but every horse is different and always keep you guessing. Yes, Marty I understand. Mine are all on straights oats with awesome 2nd cutting hay and look fine but I'm a little nervous about how my show ones will look come spring since I've never done straight oats before. Just wondering if I shouldn't switch any that I'm considering showing because if I have a problem with their hair coat, when I clip in April it may be too late to turn the bus around.
default_unsure.png
Little Wolf Ranch, have you had any 'neck' issues with it? Also, I like the Mare & Foal as well. Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.
default_smile.png

I have found that my horses do get a little hot feeding manufacturers recommended amount of Strategy, but my minis always looked great on it and stayed really lean.

Not suprising they got cresty necks on Strategy- it's a heavy corn based feed and corn is a big no no for horses prone to insulin resistance. Most cereal grains (wheat, corn, oats, etc) are not recommended for horses with founder issues or IR.

Not sure what to think about the hair coats. Usually my first clip of the year ends up pretty nasty because I get in a rush and make a mess, but feeding oats does not effect the shine on my kids. I suppose if you are worried, after you do a first clip, if you are not satisfied, you could always put the mare on Super 14 by farnum. I swear by that stuff to put a shine on your horse like you cannot imagine.

Latest posts

Back