Is anyone a cell phone expert?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Like most people, my husband and I have special ringtones for each other. That way we know when we are the ones calling. We both ended up buying new cell phones last July, and retired our ringtones with the old phones. I packed them up and really forgot all about them (including where I put them).

In either December or January, I was awoken at 5:40am to the sound of music playing. I freaked out and woke my husband up (we're the only ones in our house). Then I recognized the song as his old phone's ringtone for when I called him. I jumped out of bed and followed the sound until it stopped. Even though I didn't hear precisely where it was coming from, I knew that if I looked in a cabinet, I'd find his phone there. Sure enough, there it was. I instantly looked to see who called (I knew it wasn't me although technically it could have only come from my phone). The phone was turned off! I had to power it up, and then it refused to go to the screen because there was no sims card in it. How in the world could a phone with no sims card, and that had been turned off for more than 5 months receive a phone call from "me". If I would have called him, the call would have went to his new phone since he's never changed his number.

My husband joked around asking if I was still alive because I was apparently trying to contact him from the other side. I figured that maybe a car drove by and just happened to be playing that song, even though we live down a dirt road (can hear cars really well) and in a secluded area (people don't usually blare music). I grasped at any and all possibilities including maybe catching a glimpse into another dimension or realm. Lol. But as the months have gone by, I had pretty much forgotten about what happened.

Until this morning. 5am I hear music again. I woke my husband up thinking he forgot to turn off his game system last night. We're sitting there listening when we notice it's the same darn ringtone. I jumped out of bed and made it to the cabinet just as the music inside stopped. I handed my husband the phone and he had to turn the power on, and again, it wouldn't work past that because it didn't have a sims card in it.
default_frusty.gif
We put the phone in my husband's nightstand, so that if it happens again, we can grab it quickly and see if it lights up or see who/what is calling.

Does anyone have any idea how a phone that is basically unplugged can be receiving calls from "me" when I'm not calling it? Do you think it's a malfunction or glitch, or that somehow our carrier is doing updates on a dead phone? I've tried to do some research and I've only come across two other cases that sound anything like this one. I went looking for my old phone and found it in my nightstand. It has never received any "ghost calls".

Thats really wierd, especially since technically the phone isn't activated right? You kept your same phone numbers when you got new phones so they would of had to deactivate your old ones. I thought only calls could be made on deactivated phones were outgoing calls to 911, didn't think they could recieve calls period.

Thats exactly what we thought too. We kept our phone numbers the same, but they switched our sims cards from the old phones over to the new ones. I don't know if they actually 'deactivate' them because I think if we were to put the sims card back into the old ones, we'd be able to use them again? But if the phone is turned off, with no power going to it, then I don't think it should be receiving a signal? And even if so, there's no way I'm the one calling him. All incoming calls should be going straight to his current phone.
default_sad.png

This is a longshot and I'm no expert and I don't know if it's possible without a sim card but one of our phones kept going off early in the morning and turns out we had the alarm set on it and had forgotten to turn it off.

That's something to look into. I don't know how the alarm would be able to go off without the phone being on, or several months inbetween, or using my ringtone, but at this point I guess anything is possible. Something sure is happening. Maybe it has something to do with when the time changes? Our phones have never set themselves when they are supposed to and we've always had to do it manually. Weird how both of our old phones are identical but only one of them is acting this way.

That is really odd!!!

You know, I am so not cool or with it... The first time I heard one of the "ringback" tones a few years ago, I thought the person I called had answered and I was hearing the radio in their truck! DOH!

On cell phones, I recently got a 2nd cell phone because I'm working from some satellite offices and wanted something other than my "personal" cell phone to call clients on. My personal cell phone is an iPhone 4 (not the newer 4S kind). I love it, but I decided to get a Motrolla Droid Bionic for my "office" cell phone. I LOVE IT! I like it better than the iPhone, and that's to say I like it a lot
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

I've been obsessing about this since I woke up but I *think* I might have figured out the problem. We put his sims card back into that phone, and found that it had an alarm set for every Saturday at 5am, using 'my' ringtone (weird because he said he always had it set to chiming). The thing is, it doesn't go off every Saturday. Just these two times, and that doesn't explain why the time would have been at 5:40am last time.

I also saw an option for "auto set alarm" which was switched to on. I'm assuming that since we have to manually change the time on our phones during daylight savings time, that maybe this was an alarm to let him know it was time to do so? That would explain why it's been a few months apart.

So now we have all alarms set to off, the phone is once again turned off and has no sims card, and it is in the drawer next to where he sleeps. Praying that the situation is fixed and there won't be a third time!
default_pray.gif

But it was shut off right? Hmmm..I am the type that always thinks there is an explanation to everything, but how could the alarm work if the power is off?

That is strange and strange things happen here all the time but never anything like that

So far, so good. If we have any more problems with it, we'll take out the battery. We're hoping it was just the alarm though. I've read online that the alarm on some brands of phones will still sound even if the phone is turned off. They should come with a warning, because it really is freaky when it happens and you have no clue why.

Latest posts

Back