Is anybody out there selling any horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmitpenny

Reaction score
What has happened? I see all these horses for sale and it seems that none of them are moving. I look at the action page and there isnt a bid out there. Is the market that saturated now or are people just not buying? I have tried to move some of my horses and I cant even get an inquiry. How depressing!!!!!

Hi,

I know how frustrating it is. I finally advertised in our local paper and sold 2 of them yesterday. When I sold one on the internet her price was so low it was a joke but I needed her gone at the time, it still took over a month of advertising to get her sold.

The thing that I blame is the gas prices........makes everthing go up!

Good luck.

I have actually sold several in the last 2 months....4 (1 mature stallion, 2 weanling colts, and a mare in foal)...potentially 2 more also (a 2 year old stallion and a yearling filly). All my sales were local. I also bought 3 mares all in foal for 2006....1 will be on her way this week...and the other 2 mares I will be getting the end of September. I've been having pretty good luck selling...and buying
wink.gif
When I was shopping though...transportation was definitely a factor.

Tracy

Well, I know people are buying because I have just sold some for people that totaled in the mid 5 figure range this week.

Now I am speaking in generalities here.

In my search I was astounded at the fact that I got very little response to horses I inquired about. One liner emails and one or two pictures or no response at all. I am not going to tell people to spend money on horses I have to pry information on. Just too many out there for sale.

Also, be aware of your own marketing techniques. Make sure your pictures are a good representative of the horse. I am amazed at some of the horrid photos I have been sent. Good horses that are presented for sale properly are selling.

And NO I am not saying that the person that started this thread is not presenting properly. Again, I am talking GENERALITIES.

As usual.......edited for my horrendous typing........
new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We've sold a few...... but this is the time that foals are selling first.

MA

That's good advice, on the net, a person has to have good pictures and communication is so important. Last yr I inquired on a filly in another state, I asked if they had other pictures and was told NO. Guess you know, the fillly stayed there, can't buy on one picture. I've seen alot too and have been amazed. I just sold my yrling stud, Playboy and my foals are starting to move. Some local and some over the net. Some are repeat buyers too. I think the longer a person is in the buisness, the more it helps as people get to know you.

Vertical Limit Minis said:
Well, I know people are buying because I have just sold some for people that totaled in the mid 5 figure range this week.

In my search I was astonded at the fact that I got very little response to horses I inquired about.  One liner emails and one or two pictures or no response at all. I am not going to tell people to spend money on horses I have to pry information on.  Just too many out there for sale.

Also, be aware of your own marketing techniques.  Make sure your pictures are a good representative of the horse.  I am amazed at some of the horrid photos I have been sent.  Good horses that are presented for sale properly are selling.

And NO I am not saying that the person that started this thread is not presenting properly.  Again, I am talking GENERALITIES.

433012[/snapback]

I know! when looking for my mare or filly i found this with Alot of people... How are other people supposted to learn about the breed & get into them? It confuses me
wacko.gif
no.gif
Now there are many great people who do get back to you fast... but others just don't... i think its a shame.

In my search I was astounded at the fact that I got very little response to horses I inquired about.  One liner emails and one or two pictures or no response at all. As usual.......edited for my horrendous typing........
new_shocked.gif

433012[/snapback]

Well I am guilty of the opposite..I am sometimes worried I Oversend info and pictures..LOL
rolleyes.gif

Well I am guilty of the opposite..I am sometimes worried I Oversend info and pictures..LOL
Well, Christine, IMHO you are not guilty of anything except trying to be a good Sales "Woman"! I guess I am guilty too as I send a ton of pictures.......including teeth, legs.........GEEZ.............if I am out there with my camera and a clean and well groomed horse I certainly do not want to have to go back out there 12 times to get the photos people want.

VERY INTERESTING.............I bought from a wonderful lady that actually makes a WEB Page for each horse. Now I know everyone cannot do that or has access to the web, but there were photos of each side, head on, rear end, teeth, pedigree, sire and dam. Plus I was told about the horses unique personality. SOLD SOLD SOLD...........ofcourse we liked the horse too!
laugh.gif

And Christine.......don't change a thing!
aktion033.gif

OK......edited again this time.......not for my horrendous typing but because I wanted to say that YES........there are tons of tire kickers out there. But it's all part of sales. Do I get angry? Sometimes, because it can take time out from my day. But all in all it does pay off in the long run.

I havent had any problems selling any of mine either. I sold 8 within 2 months, and a possibility of another 2. The one thing I have noticed is that most years whenever I did sell one they always went out of state, this year everyone is staying in Wisconsin. I do blame gas prices for alot of that, people cant afford the shipping! I inguired about 2 yearlings and by the time I paid the shippers it would of been double the price. I do know of others in our area who cant seem to sell even one horse, even by lowering there prices. What I hate is when I email someone about horses, and in the beginning they email you left and right, and when it gets down to the nitty-gritty of the actual purchase, and you really start asking questions, ..you just dont hear from them anymore. That really makes me wonder if they are telling the truth about the horse all along! Corinne

Last yr I inquired on a filly in another state, I asked if they had other pictures and was told NO. Guess you know, the fillly stayed there, can't buy on one picture.
MARNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you even believe that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
new_shocked.gif

I don't know how many times I have run into that. Then I here them crying about how they can't sell. HEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anybody home?????????????????

Believe it or not I have also inquired on horses that people emailed me back and say they have NO pictures! HOW DUMB IS THAT! Oh of course I want that one............we will just play "SURPRISE ME"
new_rofl.gif

Well and of course there are always the Ones that are buying But never send payment..
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
does that count as selling horses??

Business seems pretty good in my neck of the woods. Just sold a Buckeroo bred stallion to out of state folks. The fact that I am delivering him helps. But they are paying for my gas and time, just a little cheaper than the shippers, but guaranteed to be well taken care of. Had a client come by yesterday who had previously bought a mini from me. They just wanted to look at some of the foals they saw on my web site. So I said sure, I love to show lookers around. hehehe!

They bought a filly and a colt and my two mini donkeys. Also just got a deposit on another filly today and they want a second one too. My sales seem to come in bunches and over half this year are repeat buyers and buyers wanting two or more. I am happy to oblige. My only advertising has been word of mouth and my web site. (Thank you Mona!!) I must admit though, I think I am very lucky.

Ginny StP

The ones for sale are gone now but after Nationals and World I will have 4 sr geldings for lease and all have show records. I don't want to sell them, they all are very special to me, but I do want them to be useful and prove how great geldings are. And we can't show 3 sr geldings in the 30 - 32 class. LOL. At least one will be in the 32 - 34 class.

So anyone needing a gelding next year to win that amateur money, just come see me. The Gelding Queen.

VERY INTERESTING.............I bought from a wonderful lady that actually makes a WEB Page for each horse. Now I know everyone cannot do that or has access to the web, but there were photos of each side, head on, rear end, teeth, pedigree, sire and dam. Plus I was told about the horses unique personality.
I like that idea. Each of my horses has a page of their own but I like the idea of front/back and head shots.

I've sold 3 in the past 4 months with another "inquiry" this past week with a commitment to buy. Of course, haven't heard from them since I sent them the contract........
unsure.gif
but I did just hear there are big fires where the person lives. (Hope they are OK!)

there are tons of tire kickers out there.  But it's all part of sales. 

433046[/snapback]

I fully agree with this all part of doing business.

Well I havent even been advertising except having a website, which we try hard to keep up to date. But we sold 2 mares with foals by side, the folks came to buy the 1 mare and talked me out of another one and her filly,lol. I liked that they would go together and have friends they knew. ANd we have deposits on 3- 2005 colts and on 2 - 2004 fillys with several waiting for a way to get to the new homes. We get a lot of previous buyers come back for more or bringing their friends to get some so thats great. Since moving here less than 2 years ago we have had minis go to our well/pump man and now 2 are going to the guy doing our house addition. Then another went to our house sitter when we go away. All it takes is getting the people out to meet the horses and having a chance to get to know them. They sell themselves.

minimule said:
VERY INTERESTING.............I bought from a wonderful lady that actually makes a WEB Page for each horse. Now I know everyone cannot do that or has access to the web, but there were photos of each side, head on, rear end, teeth, pedigree, sire and dam. Plus I was told about the horses unique personality.
I've always gotten lots of compliments on my website where each horse has thier own page with pedigree and lots of photos
smile.gif

I don't have any for sale since I decided to keep our appy filly but I've had lots of requests to take reserves on the in-utero foals.

Tammie

We have sold a yearling filly,

a 2year old gelding-- with a show record, shown by kids, and with great training,

a 3 year old gelding -- with a show record-- Canadian Top Ten ALL star-- broke to drive, single & double & 4 horse hitch,

and a weanling stallion to be a herd sire later, off our National Top Ten stallion Boones Little Buckeroo Charmer.

Also have pending sales on 2 bred mares.

We advertise in the Journal.

We show at AMHR shows & also at local fairs,

We do all breed showcases as well and

We talk to everyone about the horse for everyone -- The Registered American Miniature Horse.!!

I believe the Minaiture horse is the fastest growing breed in the world today.!!

Latest posts

Back