Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add in being sick to the constantly changing weather! My body isn't even recognizing NICE weather days right now with my fevers ranging from 100* to 104*. Thought the antibiotics had nipped the fever & started me on the mend, so went to work yesterday. Still don't have much of a voice - no voice at all last week for 2 days. Lost most of my voice in the 5 hours I was at work, then passed out for 3 hours with another fever when made it home... It's cold out there this morning (20* when I went out at first), warm in the house according to all the moniters (68) - but I'm just freezing. Ok... Off to get ready for work again. UGH...

Sure hope you get well soon Paula. I know you have a lot of home chores plus your job. So hard hard you are ill. Be careful with the fevers. 104 is nothing to ignore. Take care of yourself. I know lots of us out here will be pulling for you to get well.

It's consistently been about 30 degrees with 20-30 mph winds....yes, I am extremely tired of this weather. Even here in Fargo, ND this is getting a little old.

Grey and drizzly all day. Now, tonight, we are having a thunderstorm. The dog's not used to it yet. Well, all that melting snow was washing things out and this thunderstorm is doing some heavier pouring. It's supposed to be 49 and some sun tomorrow. Horses are in since the farrier is coming early. They are probably glad. They all looked miserable standing in the sheds out of the drizzle today. OOh, it's blowing some too now!

Nice day today! Sunny, so much warmer at around 50. Kind of a breeze but tolerable. H is out playing with our soon ( I guess) to be new horse trailer. He took it out down the road and now he's practicing backing it around in spots. We have a 14' stock that is shorter in height. This one is a friend's that is 16' and wider and full height. It's only 5 years old this year and they had barely used it (there were trails right off the place they boarded). Our trailer is 18 years old but in real nice shape. We mostly keep it in, so the rust is minimal for it's age. Paint is oxidized from years of summer sun, but that's about it. Hopefully we can find it a good home quick.

The incessant rain and damp cold conditions are what I blame for the loss of my 20 year old mare last week, I had faithfully fed warm bran mashes and beet pulp through it all, but she still must not have been drinking enough water, she had a severe impaction. Three days of iv's, meds, tubed with oil and warm water did not resolve it, bad turned to worse and it was so sadly necessary to end her suffering.

This was my first loss to colic, my vet and I had always been able to pull them through before. She was such a sweet girl, I bred and raised her, she was silver dapple with a pure white mane and tail. Rest in peace, Singin in the Rain, we called her Melody.

We actually have sun today and hopefully can dry out somewhat and get warmer. I know everyone on here has suffered this year more than usual with this horrible weather, sympathy to those struggling to keep going when you are not one hundred percent healthy yourself.

so sorry for your loss madmax... that made me cry. Horrible winter and losing a beloved horse because of it is just the pits. hugs.

this weather fluxuations has been so hard on our critters here too. Going from 60s and 70s and then dipping into teens, high winds and this weekend incessant rain for days on end has made things so tough. My heifer that calved this past week needed emergency twist surgery on Friday and I have several calves being treated for pneumonia and scours. Still all alive, but takes so much time to do treatments and coaxing them to eat and with the crappy weather it is just such a battle. Had to stomach tube feed a couple of my calves because they wouldn't swallow, and have been giving electrolyte solutions for all daily. I thought I was going to lose a couple and was so glad each morning when I got back to the barn and found them still alive. My sweet girl calf named feather that was my worst was mugging me last night for her bottle... fingers crossed she is finally on the mend. I never thought I would be glad to be whumped around by a calf at feeding time, not out of the woods yet, but glad to see her not laying so still.. Today the sun is finally out but the wind is horrible and I see three more days of rain in the 10 day forecast. Tired of stomping through mud.

On top of that, kids all got sick this past week and I am running on very little sleep. sigh. Car broken and at the mechanic today. Come on spring, I need some pretty days. best wishes all.

Thanks, folks.

Shorthorse, you have a lot on your shoulders, take care. I ended up in the emergency room with heart related conditions as a result of all this stuff.

Wow, I hadn't checked in here in a while. I'm sorry to read of your loss madmax. That is such a heartbreaking decision to have to make and it is so frustrating when it seems no matter how hard you try everything just conspires against you. Shorthorsemom, I agree with madmax, you have a lot going on and I sure hope you find some time to take care of your own mental and physical health while you see to everyone else's needs. I sometimes think this time of year is the hardest on us because we get hints that the worst is over and spring is on the way and then it slides backwards into winter again. Very depressing sometimes. We have had some really nice, above freezing, weather and some sun and then last week it got cold and yucky again. Today its sunny and crisp, supposed to go just past the freezing mark but warm up more as the week goes on.

Paula, so sorry you are having so much trouble with your calves. We've lost three, but not for lack of trying to save them.

Latest posts

Back