Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
We have had the snowiest January on record. The kids in our district have had school closed so many times that, starting with today's closing it, will eat into summer vacation. Right now it's 8 with temps falling as I type and a wind chill of -9. Temps with the wind chill today/tonight will be -25 -30 below(wind chill warning starting at noon). It snowed again last night and the roads look like poo. Tuesday and Wednesday look cold also.

I have a 29yr old mare that I worry about. We had an arctic blast for a few days and my barn kitty was gone. I thought she had passed but after that deep freeze she showed up in the barn. She was nearly frozen but alive. I worry about all the critters outside. My barn is big and blocks out most of the wind. The girls have big stalls and the llama room gets locked down so him and the goat have to stay in.

I'm pooped after chores. I haul hot water out to the barn 3 times a day. I wear long johns and jeans, turtleneck and heavy sweatshirt around the house with double socks and ugg boots. Outside, carhart snow pants,heavy carhart jacket, hat and 2 hoods and scarf and gloves! That's so tiring to put on and take off! LOL! I'm tired!!

Anyone else dreaming of sunshine and warm temps????
default_yes.gif

What's the temps by you?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 10 below at night and only 2º during the day all last week. Im with you this is tiring. I spend so much time watering animals and removing snow that im too exhausted to do anything else. Plus im so bundled up in overalls and coats that its more work just to trudge thru snow under all those layers. I feel like the kid from the Christmas Story "I cant put my arms down!" Spring cant come fast enough.

Too cold here.. dreaming of temps above freezing. Tired of wearing snow pants and walking with a shuffle. Tired of slipping and falling. Tired of thawing waterbowls for a whole barn of cows. Glad I got my horse his buddy back so he has a horse pal to him company in this brutal cold. My dogs are going cabin fever crazy because it is cold enough to freeze their paws in minutes outside. I fell few weeks ago on the ice and gave myself a concussion. The ringing in my ears and stiff neck and my messed up shoulder is still with me. Oh yeah... I am tired of winter. For you star wars fans....doesn't it feel like we are living on the planet of hoth?

Shorthorsemom, Hehehehe! Waiting for the TaunTauns for the trek out to the barn! or a Yetti keeping warm in my hay! Sorry about your concussion.

Amysue, I'm with ya!

Here in North Florida we are also having a bad winter, the below freezing days just will not go away, the wind chill is in the teens, we have damp cold, because of intermittent rain in the midst of all of this, the ground never dries out and the mud is making everything even more miserable. We are expecting sleet on Weds, just what I needed. We will have a day or two of warmer temps like today to give us some hope,but then it turns all around to freezing again, I swear when I was a kid the weather was not like this. Whatever happened to the notion that the sun always shines and we all wear shorts in Florida year round? Maybe in Miami. Sorry you fell shorthorse mom, hope you feel better soon.

We are having weather like Jack's Thunder. I live in Northern Illinois, close to the Wisconsin border. I can barely get out because I am on crutches. Injured in JULY! (severely sprained ligaments, slight tears and bone bruises). They kind of boo-boo'd. The first podiatriast had me doing some "stuff" and staying at work (walk, walk, walk). Then I went (am at) an exellent ortho place. They had me go to PT at first, but I got worse. They did an MRI (finally) and a Dexa scan. I have Osteopenia and Osteoarthritis and the bone bruising in the heel and ankle bones weren't healing. So, now in a "Moonboot" and on crutches waiting for healing. In two weeks I get to try (on crutches) putting some weight on it again. Where am I going with this??????------

Anyway, I am stuck in the house most of the time. Any with crutches you got no hands, basically-so it eliminates indoor chores and activities a lot too. It's my poor Husband really getting the brunt of it. He works two jobs- his regular job (which is at a church/school, but involves a lot of construction type stuff) and his own business after work of construction/remodeling. Then he has been taking care of the horses (usually was my job)-so in this it's stalls, water, etc. etc. Bringing wood in for the woodstove (gosh, he smoked us practically out yesterday morning-winds were too strong.). I am really worried about him. Saw him crouching in the wood "garage" from the window for quite a few minutes. He said he had indigestion, but it worries me. He said he's "fine". MEN!!!

Yes-we need a break. No January thaw this year!

Thanks for the well wishes on my fall.

Opened the door to let the dogs out and took one small step onto the porch. My feet went as high as my head and I fell and hit the door jam with my head and I laid there on the ground stunned it could happen that fast. Biggest lump I have ever had on my head, bigger than when I had my horse wreck and I wacked out my shoulders and it hurts to comb my hair.

It was funny in a way because My dogs were laughing and licking my face and bouncing on me as I laid there in the doorway half in and out of the house wondering if I could even get up. The ear ringing is driving me nuts and the doctor says it might be with me for awhile. Something called post concussion syndrome. ugh.

Performance mini... sorry you are laid up too. best wishes.

its cold outside.jpg

There you go Jacks thunder for being amused at my planet hoth comment..a photo for you. haha

Here in southern CA it's been in the 80s and maybe 60 overnight. But we have had no rain and it's like a warm drought here. Will mean higher hay prices I'm sure...

But I can't complain. You're welcome to fly out here to warm up and see Disneyland though!

Performancemini... make your man get himself checked.... My man had a heart attack last October. I found out how bad it was at the hospital. My stoic guy turned out the cows and took a shower after his heart attack and he only told me his shoulder was hurting and he didn't feel good. I knew something was up when he agreed to go to the hospital when I suggested he get checked out just to be safe. Had I known he had a 15 minute crushing pain episode he would have been in an ambulance transport. We drove to the hospital, got turned away because they were full and then got back in the car and drove to another hospital 45 mins away. sheesh.

You should have heard the nurses giving him grief for not calling 911 immediately, you reminded me of that when you said "MEN" in your post. That is what the nurses said. He is fine now. We got really lucky. Nurse called his artery clog "the widowmaker" and made me cry.

I lecture everybody now not to ignore any symptoms. Oh... and another thing my man did that probably saved his life.. he chewed up some aspirin. They popped baby aspirin into him at the hospital while they were checking him out too. thought I would mention. My boy was 99% clogged and milking cows twice a day. Normal doctor check up and normal cholesterol and ok on blood pressure two weeks prior to attack. go figure.

My husband had 'indigestion' really severe in the middle of the night 2 years ago and did not want to go to the ER because he is permanently in a wheelchair and hated to go through all the manipulations necessary to travel. A call to his doctor in the morning forced him to go. It was a heart attack and a blockage and he went straight to surgery for a stent. Hard to guess correctly sometimes.

Edited to add, yes he did take aspirin when it happened.

Me! I'm tired of it and it's just begun. Our Winter here is usually it's worst in Feb. and sometimes March but so far this Jan. has been record breaking cold off and on.

If we get what is in the forecast for tomorrow and Wed. I'll be off the grid for a while.

:gaah"tired of it" doesn't begin to describe how I feel about this weather! Crazy mad, upset, depressed is how I feel.
default_shutup.gif
makes me want to
default_472.gif
and hibernate.

Here we are trying to move, put up fence and retrofit a shed into a barn and we can't get anything done because of the cold, wind and snow! I really want to move to my new place but things are going too slow! We should be done by now but ole Ma Nature has other plans for us.

I've had the bunnies in the garage and the chickens (2) in the kitchen for 2 weeks now! This place smells like a zoo and everybody has cabin fever. The minis are just fine. They love it. All the hay they can eat, warm water, coolaid, and Mom doesn't make them exercise or do tricks 'cause it's too cold for her to stay out too long.

Spring or normal winter better come soon! I'm Taking out a hit on that darn groundhog if he doesn't predict an early spring.

Here in upstate NY, we are having a heat wave today, in the upper teens but wind chill makes it much colder. Tonight the wind chill will be around 20 below. This is what the winter has been here, luckily we use heated buckets for the horses and they get plenty of hay to keep them warm. This is by far the hardest winter we have had in a few years.

attachicon.gif
its cold outside.jpg

There you go Jacks thunder for being amused at my planet hoth comment..a photo for you. haha
Love it!! It should be my avatar!!!
default_biggrin.png

Performance mini, Sorry your injured too! It must be driving you nuts not to be able to do things around the house. Hope you heal soon!

disneyhorse, Get the spare room and fruity drinks ready! I'm on my way!!
default_488.gif
80 degrees..... i'm so in the wrong state!!! Hehehe!

Thanks for the 'get wells'. Hey-I guess we need to start a topic called "Get Well Soon" to keep up on all our accidents and such! Husband is on aspirin and cholesterol med (not sure it's too high though). He doesn't even know why the doc put him on the aspirin when I asked him! (Dahhhhh!). I am thinking of making another appt. for him for a check up and I am going to be nasty and GO WITH!

Mostly I just feel very bad for my horses and my dad who works full time out in it. It is freeze-you-to-the-bone cold out there. My barn is drafty and if my horses didn't have a layer they would be sunk. I can see why God allowed certain things to happen. For example, an extra stormy and rainy Summer led to extra lush late grass. Horses were able to eat and get extra reserve for the Winter. Rusty, my childhood horse could no longer chew and had to be put down. I was so sad but now that I see the Winter poor old Ruster would have to endure I'm thankful he is in heaven frolicking with my other childhood equine friends. I am so thankful the Lord has blessed me with good health to handle it and a Warm bed and hot baths to crawl into for thawing purposes. Very thankful but I'm ready for Spring, like the rest of you
default_smile.png

Is a bit of a pain with the water troughs frozen solid... well... except the one we have a water heater in.

However, its not super hot out and No bugs..... so I am not minding too much, even with the -10* some mornings.

Hopefully by next winter, will have the frost free water lines in and power to each of the pastures, so things will be a lot easier.

we put up a bunch more plastic last night and the cows actually have the barn inside up to 40 this morning and only 5 frozen water bowls instead of all of them. We have 8 degrees and 11 below windchills this am. I am tired of being cold. My horses and goats are doing good. The dogs hate going out and they are cheating and I had to buy more natures miracle this week for clean ups. ugh.

Some guys that deer hunt nearby saw a coyote on our property a couple of days ago and have found dead fawns and a dead small deer so probably more than one. Not normal for this area to have them but I hear they were moving into Northern Delaware because they opened up hunting in delaware for them because they were gobbling up so many resident critters.

The guys saw them 100 yards from our cow barn. Brought in all cows and heifers that are even several weeks away from calving and they will stay inside for now. Our small heifers are in the barn and are safe in pens. So now we are on critter watch even more, bummer because we have so much really neat wildlife here from bald eagles to falcons and hawks to mink and beaver and foxes etc. wish us luck. gotta run, should be outside but in denial that I have to go back out again. haha.

Off topic note... for cholesterol control try "plant sterol" capsules. Can buy in health food store or amazon. I buy vitamin shop brand. I tried diet control and my cholesterol was very high. My doctor put me on Plant sterols because the statins made my muscles hurt. In 3 months I had normal cholesterol and it has stayed that way for several years. cheers.

I hesitate to join in on this conversation since anything I say is likely to temp fate (and make you all want to do me harm lol) WE have only had about a week of truly cold weather all winter and that was before Christmas. It has been a very mild winter here (we normally get those long stretches of 20+ below too) and for the last couple of weeks it has been above freezing during the day and just dropping below slightly at night. The worst part of this winter has been all the dang snow we've gotten. We must have easily over 4 feet and that is after there has been mild weather (and rain a couple of times) to settle it a bunch. Our snow banks in our yard are a good 10 or 12 feet high and I am getting pretty tired of seeing nothing but white everywhere. We've still got at least 2 months left I expect so there will be more of it too. Yup, ready for spring as always in January.

I'm sorry to hear so many of you have managed to hurt yourselves. Shorthorsemom, I know how you feel, I stepped down off my deck onto the top stair last summer and went for a ride on my back and butt all the way down to the bottom. I was sore for quite a while after and my backside was black for weeks.No concussion tho, I guess my butt is so big it helped keep my head elevated lol. I am going to suggest the Plant sterols to my husband, he is on statins but hates taking them.

Latest posts

Back