Is a late foal competitive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
My filly was born Aug. 24, which I consider late. I want to show her next year but am concerned if she'll be able to compete very well with foals that were born say in March or April. What are your past experiences with this? Is she going to look too immature against the other yearlings?

I think it all depends on the horse itself, however in my experiance, no they are not as competitive.

It really does depend on the horse, as for the most part I would say no, ...and then on the other hand, point to my yearling colt who was born last september, who has been winning consistantly. He is very pretty though, and really really showy. Though at the Julep Cup he was slighter then the others, he has since caught up.
aktion033.gif
Here's a Liz pic from when he was about 8 months old.
dudley.jpg

I too would say it depends on the individual horse. We had a Sept. 2nd filly last year. In late April when she was 7 1/2 months old, yes, she could have been competitive in the yearling classes. She'd have been slight compared to some, so if the judge happened to prefer a more mature type of yearling she wouldn't have done well. If the judge liked 'em leggy & slim, though, she'd have done great. By late May, though, this filly had gone into a growth spurt & was so butt-high & gangly looking there was no way we could show her at that time. Now she's just over a full year old & is starting to look good again. Had she been a February baby, we'd have probably done well showing her this year. She's a tall, leggy B filly, just the sort to be prone to sudden growth spurts & gangly spells.

A foal of different breeding may not have those growth spurts or any gangly stages...we have had some spring foals that looked great at the age of 9 months, and had they been fall babies they would have been fine showing with the full yearlings the next spring/summer.

We once had a six week old filly took first place in multi-color class against 8 adult mares. So, yeah........it's possible. Like others said, depends on the horse. I've also known very mature looking 3-month foals who could hold their own.

I had a colt born in late Sept 03. I took him to the PtHA World Championship Show last year and he was World Champion Miniature Color Stallion. So yes, I think they can show and be competitive.

99aa5507.jpg

I have a colt foaled late June this year that I will bring out next year. He is stunning!

i think its very hard for a late foal to compete in halter. especially a small late foal. We showed bitsy and shes a late yearling. she won alot at smaller shows but got the gate at bigger ones. But she always placed in color. I asked one of the judges at the bigger show and he said she just looked too immature. I had to agree when i looked around in her class she looked like weanling in with yearlings LOL.

Well, the replies have me discouraged and encouraged at the same time. I won't be showing her until the end of June at the earliest, so that may save me some. I will have to wait and see I guess. Beautiful yearlings by the way for those who posted!

Latest posts

Back