Introducing new horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to introduce 2 new horses a weanling colt and a yearling stallion to my 2 geldings. The weanling(keeping seperate and keeping a close eye on) and yearling were pastured together when I purchased them and they are close buddies. My problem is that my geldings are picking on the stallion, he is larger than they are but he doesn't defend himself. Would gelding him help the situation?

I try to keep them together when I can watch them, but I put them in seperate but linked pastures when I can not be home. Food and my presence seem to make them worse.

Now for the second part. Since my yearling stallion is on the tall side, I would say

31 or 32 inches would gelding him make him taller or is this just something that I have heard. If he goes over is AMHA papers is it difficult to register him AMHR?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Debbie

You can put him over to AMHR- you should do anyway as a dual registered horse is more "use"
smile.gif
Anyway, Yes, a gelding does grow longer but, at the size he is now, at the tail end of the year, he is unlikely to go "over" Depending on his parents height he should end up on the cusp as it were. The closing of the growth plates in a Mini gelding makes IME about 1/2" difference to the adult height.

I would go ahead and geld him- I do not think however that this is your problem. Your problem is he is the "new boy"!! Do you blanket them at all?? Putting one of the geldings blankets on the colt and vice versa, then introducing that gelding and the colt will take the "newness " out of the situation. Take the geldings out and put in the two colts, then put one gelding back- if you can do it have the other two out of sight and sound, if not just shut them away somewhere
smile.gif
Just keep swapping and moving until you have a mix that works, and then work up to the whole herd from there. If the colt is only a yearling, chances are he has said something really rude to your other boys- the foal would just say "Don't hurt me I'm a baby" so they will leave him alone. Don't lose heart- you will get it right in the end, it's just a matter of persevering- I think you have gone about it in a very responsible and sensible way, and it should have worked.....It will do eventually
yes.gif

I am really hoping this will work as I didn't want to geld until it is a little cooler. It is still around 80 degrees or more here. The yearling is running into a corner and mouthing is that what it is called with his teeth. I was ready to cry today, trying to hold the weanling and keep the gelding from tormenting the yearling. When I put the gelding together they actually fought, but this seems worse. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Debbie

I have to agree with rabbit that the stallion "said" something bad to the older geldings when you put him in there. I've seen it over and over, when introducing a passive horse to a herd there isn't much trouble because there is no change in leadership. However if you have an agressive (or even one that thinks he's tough) come into the herd it will take longer for them to find their little niche in teh herd. What rabbit said about introducing them one at a time is a good idea too. Also, if the geldings aren't being too agressive, and actually wanting to hurt him bad then as long as you are watching you can just let them get used to one another. I too hate to see one get picked on, but as long as he isn't being kicked or really hurt they would eventually learn to get along. It's all part of learning the pecking order and once it's all figured out they should be fine. As for the rest of the questions I don't think gelding your stallion would make any difference as to the other horses picking on him. I really don't know about the growth though. I've never heard that one before so someone else will have to help you there. I would register him in the AMHR no matter what as a double registered horse is more of an all-around horse because you can show about anywhere that way. Best of luck to you and don't worry it will get better.

Latest posts

Back