Introducing myself - Scott Kelley

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by etqman, Apr 9, 2020.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

  1. Apr 9, 2020 #1

    etqman

    etqman

    etqman

    Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2020
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    5
    Hi everyone.

    About 3 years ago, I became a first-time horse owner. I purchased 2 miniatures a- 9-y/o mare (trained to drive) and an 8 month old gelding. I took driving lessons from the farm where I purchased them. I've learned a lot from these guys (the minis) and I'm having a great time with them.
    This past December, I purchased an 8-month old colt. He just turned a year old, and hasn't been gelded yet. I've been waiting for him to drop, and they haven't yet.
    Has anyone experienced this. Should I keep waiting, or call the vet? I'm not planning on breeding them, but it could happen if my mare comes in season.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance for dealing with my novice questions.
    Scott
     
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. Apr 10, 2020 #2

    Pitter Patter

    Pitter Patter

    Pitter Patter

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2020
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Kingsley, Michigan
    I have a little stallion that I have been wanting to geld, but vet services are on hold for now. I know little to nothing about minis, although I am the proud new owner of the stallion (2 yrs) and 3 little mares. Temperaments are pretty much the same as full size horses but much easier to handle! I have read it takes longer for mini males to drop, but have no experience in it. I would like to hear what mini veterans say about this!
     
    etqman likes this.
  3. Apr 10, 2020 #3

    etqman

    etqman

    etqman

    Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2020
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    5
    I heard from the vet today. She's coming next Friday to evaluate and advise. Good luck with yours!!
     
    carritootle likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2020 #4

    Taz

    Taz

    Taz

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2017
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    127
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm not one of the experts but can tell you it seems to be more common with minis. My vet said it was because too many people breed stallions with the problem and it gets passed on. I think they should drop by 2-3 years. Your vet won't be able to do anything unless you want to take him in to a clinic where they can put him out for a lot of money. They can breed if one or both have not dropped, you might want to put up a fence to keep him away from the mare if you don't want more :).
    I don't know where the experts have gone, they normally answer right away. Good luck!
     
    Cayuse likes this.
  5. Apr 11, 2020 #5

    Maryann at MiniV

    Maryann at MiniV

    Maryann at MiniV

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2020
    Messages:
    96
    Likes Received:
    90
    Location:
    Powell Butte, Oregon
    Welcome, Scott... Yes, mini colts can drop later which is why AMHA sanctioned shows don't have the judges check the testicles in stallion classes until they are age 3. Some bloodlines are known to drop later than others. I would give him until the end of his yearling year and check again.
     
    Cayuse likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2020 #6

    MyBarakah

    MyBarakah

    MyBarakah

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Messages:
    1,348
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Clatonia, NE
    I don't know where you are located but it's still very cold here. And allot of times they won't fully drop until the summer or fall of the yearling year. If your vet doesn't feel them...wait a bit longer if possible.
     
    etqman likes this.
  7. Apr 27, 2020 #7

    etqman

    etqman

    etqman

    Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2020
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    5
    Update: the vet came about a week ago, and confirmed - nothing dropped yet. She confirmed minis take longer to drop. I just have to keep an eye on him and contact her when they drop. The other option is surgery at a hospital for quite a bit more $$. I am going to wait and watch.
    Thanks for the input.
     

Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page

arrow_white