Introducing myself from NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from NC.
default_thumbup.gif

I would like to welcome you to the world of minis and invite you to come to the East Coast Miniature Horse Club Summer Classic show in Raleigh June 22-24. Lots of outstanding minis. . halter, jumping, obstacle and cart. And a fantastic way to see these little guys in action and talk to mini people .
default_xreiter.gif

Welcome here, Julie! I'm just north, in Virginia. I know you will love having miniatures, and enjoy LB. Glad to see you here
bye.gif

Okay all.....the Avatar pic is a headshot the day he got home! I'm working on before/after stuff even as we speak!!

Kaprikorn--planning to be at the show, will be looking for you. Are you showing both days?

Castle Rock--I hope you don't mind if I will be using your website and contacting you for other resources as I do my homework.

ECMHC--I plan on becoming more active with the club as I get my farm focused on some specific goals (and get all those "little things" I need to start over in horses!)

Eagles ring--thank you!! can't say I miss the ole NJ turnpike (spent many, many hours traveling it back in my dog show days!!)
default_thud.gif

Chanab--yes--already looking for the 2 mares I was "supposed " to start with!
default_whistling.gif

Mona--thanks for the welcome from Canada!!

NC Roses--sending you a pm, would love to come visit!!

HG Farm--Thank you!! So far I can't believe how easy he is to work with...lovin' it!!

REO--love your Avatar pic! Have been doing research the last 3 years, so am already addicted!
default_eat.gif

Maple Hollow--thank you and pics soon

Little Bitty Britches--Appreciate your comments. I agree about differences in opinion..I love them, as I always glean something I can use!

Fourluckyhorseshoes--thanks for the recommendation. Raleigh's close once I have everyoneplaced I'll start visiting.

SampleMM--Nice Avatar!! Looks like the direction I'm planning to head! I won't be going back to big horses either.

Suzie--might be awhile before I'm in your part of the world-feel free to share pics and information...I GREATLY APPRECIATE them.

Targetsmom--4-h is on my list. I'm currently putting together a "little horses on a little budget" program I'd like to introduce through 4-h here in Hoke county. Already spena couple hours on that forum, too!

Little lady--good to meet you too

Mini horse mania--Hey in Wilson! willbe targeting yo for a visit this summer too! Your Avatar stallion's built more like my guy...hmmm...halter after all???

To anyone I haven't addressed directly --it was only and oversight not a snub! Yes, I am excited and motivated to participate. My last big horse was a rescue Arab mare that I owned for her last 2 years of life. We had a short time together, but it was quality time. Now I'm in minis, and hope to fulfill MANY lifelong dreams with hoses. I have to hurry...I'm 48!! LOL
default_impatient.jpg
I'm a late bloomer, that 's okay though..we're quite long-lived women in my family!

Thank you all again for the warm welcome, and hope to learn and share many things with you over the next few years...Julie

WELCOME to the forum Julie!
default_aktion033.gif

I must say, for learning about minis and being among others who also love minis, you've come to the right place!

I love how excited you are about delving into the wonderful world of minis! You're going to have a blast!
REO is soooo right! I was brand new to minis this year too and the people on here are just EXCELLENT to help you and be straight forward with you. I came froma racking horse background only so minis were a whole new animal, but let me tell ya sister you will LOVE it ! WELCOME!!!!
default_yes.gif
default_xreiter.gif

Hey thanks y'all!! (Can't tell I spent 8 years in TX, canya??? LOL) Farrier was out for Gasparin's first trim since being here....he didn't like it!! After the length of time necessary to normally pick a hoof, brush it out, scrub off dirt....he figured he was DONE. Imagine his surprise when he found out farrier sounds just like mom..."I'm not done yet, gimme that back". The upside was farrier was impressed with him. Said he was a nice stallion, and he would think twice about gelding him if it was his stallion. He also told me it wasn't just because he owns buckskins either.
default_wink.png

I do have a question, though. As I've worked on trimming bridlepath, I'm running across ALOT of black spots on the skin. I've also noticed a few black spots on his rump. He doesn't have sclera/mottling/stripped hooves--but--I wonder if he has app color that can't be seen because of the dilute? Color people care to step in and give me a lesson? Also, I don't think his papers are correct, as I have a cremello sired by a grey pinto stallion out of a sorrell mare. Can cream be hard to see in the grey? I can do a little more research on his lines, as when reviewing papers I see AMHA registered horses where I thought there were unknowns, so will do a little more digging there....just to cure my curiousity. Thanks everyone...Julie

I do have a question, though. As I've worked on trimming bridlepath, I'm running across ALOT of black spots on the skin. I've also noticed a few black spots on his rump. He doesn't have sclera/mottling/stripped hooves--but--I wonder if he has app color that can't be seen because of the dilute? Color people care to step in and give me a lesson? Also, I don't think his papers are correct, as I have a cremello sired by a grey pinto stallion out of a sorrell mare. Can cream be hard to see in the grey? I can do a little more research on his lines, as when reviewing papers I see AMHA registered horses where I thought there were unknowns, so will do a little more digging there....just to cure my curiousity. Thanks everyone...Julie
No with the colors you listed, you can't get a cremello offspring. Are the parents pinto? Is so, perhaps he's a max-white sabino rather than cremello. [Ok, now I see the stallion is pinto.] The gray stallion could be masking a cream gene, but sorrel can't hide cream (sorrel plus cream equals palomino).

Hi and welcome from your neighbor in NC.

This is a wonderful forum! Glad you found it!

I have 3 minis- 2 of which I plan to show locally so maybe I will see you around. We will be going to watch the Summer Classic show later this month and like to go out to the Johnston County Horse shows as well.

The gray pinto stallion could be any color, so could be double dilute, but could only pass on one cream gene, not 2. I also wonder if YOUR stallion could be gray and not double dilute? As someone else said, the sorrel cannot hide cream so he could not get a second cream gene from a sorrel.. Our gray pintos have a TON of spots (mottling) around the mouth and other body openings. So that might account for the spots. On ours I KNOW it is not from Appy unless of course the colors on the papers are very wrong. That can always be a possibility. Is he parentage qualified??

What about a silver white (I think that's what they are called)? Silver plus grey, they can/do go white very quickly, often born white; although, I don't know if they'd have pink skin and blue eyes.

Welcome Julie to the wonderful world of minis. Let me warn you that it is habit forming!!! We are all about performance and look forward to meeting you at some of the local shows. We are located about 2+hrs from Raleigh, in a tiny town called Mount Pleasant, NC. If you get out this way look us up. We would love to have you visit.

Morning all--I've been "lurking" the last couple of weeks. Been checking into the website, reading a couple threads and posting a couple of comments, but hadn't updated here.

Targetsmom--no he's not parentage qualified. I'm thinking that since breeder was a "hobbyist", that dams color was probably wrong.

Chandab--could be possible. Guess I'll send of for my first UC Davis color test kit!!

Attached I'm HOPING will be an extremely informal pic of Casper and myself. I'm learning that trying to take photos by yourself (or with a disinterested helper who thinks one shot is okay!
default_giveup.gif
) is very difficult if you want an image that truly represents what you see.

Also, my farm name has been decided upon--DRAGON'S WISH PERFORMANCE MINIATURES--and we now own TWO minis! I purchased SMHC's Fabulously Fancy from the Southern Breeze Auction and am looking into shipping now. So I have a cremello stallion, and a sorrell medicine hat pinto filly---how great is THAT???!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
:SoHappy
SDC10174.JPG I'll be starting another post to welcome Fancy to the farm and will post pics when she gets here! TEE HEEE HEEE HEEE HEEE

Hey Julie..greetings from Stanly County! Hot, humid, Stanly County. I am between FInger, Big Lick, and Frog Pond. We are giving our little ones the first real attention and vet care they have ever had..not show quality, but a great way for my granddaughters to learn care, compassion, and the love of horses. We have 2 mares with new fillies, a little silver dapple stallion..and other critters. We love Terriers as well..Airedales are our 'dog of choice'.

The minis are great for giving me a reason to get up and out every day. Fresh air and sunshine (and sunblock), you know the drill. I think over time you will find there are several here with health issues, that find the minis fulfilling and helpful. Much easier to groom on a bad joint day too (I like sitting in a lawn chair..if only they could sit in my lap!)

REO--love your Avatar pic! Have been doing research the last 3 years, so am already addicted!
default_eat.gif
Thank you! That is my 29.75" blue eyed stallion "Pooka". Love him to bits! He's the son of my main stallion "Nort", who is also a black Splash with blue eyes. I do the pinto thing too!
default_firstprize.gif

Waves to Maryann, just over the Rocky River..lol..
default_saludando.gif

Just thinking, might be an idea to go together on some hay. Larger quantity=lower price per bale. Feel free to email me at [email protected] I also drink/ brew huge pots of coffee daily and am happy to share. My 6th granddaughter is due next month..I still can't believe my kids are having kids!

Hi Jean A!--
default_saludando.gif
Dropped you an email. Maybe we can do something that will help us both out.

REO--you're welcome. Didn't PLAN on having pintos...but I got's one now!!

Also, any help with transport on would be great....need to get Fancy from Lexington, SC to Raeford, NC...am waiting on uShip bids now.

Latest posts

Back