Introducing myself from NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Good morning all!! My name is Julie, and I'm new to both this site, and to Miniatures. I'm coming to this breed from Arabians, and am already noting many similiarities. My first (and at this moment only) miniature is a Cremello stallion that I'm planning to drive and do obstacles with. He isn't halter material (more of a western type build), however, he loves to perform! Previous owner(s) used him as a parade pony ONLY. Never broke to ride or drive....just be fussed with. He has excellent ground manners, very easy to handle, loves to be groomed, and has an Arabians typical "desert, in-your-tent" disposition. So I'm LOOOOOVVVINNGG minis!!!

I live in Raeford, NC, which is near Fayetteville and Fort Bragg. We have one acre that we are rotating/seeding/temporary fencing while we save/look for a permanent home. It's just myself and my husband and our Jack Russell and now the stallion. I have lupus, so getting into minis will be a big help. I've researched lines the last two years, after making my initial contact with Gayle Wilner at Kako's Happy Horses. (I hope to produce fancy, colored horses like SHE does..lol!!) I've always broken all of my horses to the cart, however, it's been more than 10 years since I started one, so I'm a little out of the loop!

I don't usually start with a stallion, as I believe in mare power...however......

What I asked for was: bay yearling *Rough Justice out of a Padron daughter Arabian to use on my Russian bred older mare.

What I got was: Nine year old Cremello Minature stallion...Buckeroo breeding on bottom, unknown (basically) on top. Has a nice head, ears, very smooth body and correct legs. Excellent temperament and very athletic...so wil give him a couple more years to prove himself before I decide to give him the "big snip"!!
default_biggrin.png

Soooo....initial plan is to find those two really GREAT older, prove broodmares, and start a performance focused program. Still searching for just the right farm name. Still getting acquainted with all the resources available to me. Would LOVE to have a mentor or two! Teaching my non-horsey--but generous--husband the do's and don'ts of basic horse care and handling. Looking for all the Miniature horse tack suppliers so I can at least get my hands on a training surcingle and get to long-lining him!! I don't want to be like the sale ad I saw on local craigslist...with the poor little mini DUCT TAPED to the harness!!
default_thud.gif
In a nutshell...I didn't get to take my own advice and start with a QUALITY, PROVEN mare. I'll just have to "settle" for improving on my stallion's plain neck and low-set tail by putting him to those good mares and chasing the "golden dream"! Performance horses always have a market.....so I won't keep to many....grow them out and sell them as green preformance horses!

All you folks, point me to the introductions area. Help me become an active part of this world and I'll give back as much or more than I get!! Can't wait to get to know ya'll, your programs, your plans, and YOU!! Julie

p.s.....I know threads are useless without pics!!! Will have a few for you when I get Mr. "Grooming was Neglected" into some kind of decent shape. Since he's a stallion, I hate to post really crummy pics...ya know??

WELCOME to the forum Julie!
default_aktion033.gif

I must say, for learning about minis and being among others who also love minis, you've come to the right place!

I love how excited you are about delving into the wonderful world of minis! You're going to have a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum and to the world of miniatures! It sounds like you have some pretty exciting plans already and cant wait to see pics of your boy!

Welcome from Ohio! I have found that most miniature horse people are very friendly, and more than willing to help, and answer questions! This site is wonderful, active, and therr are some very knowledgable people on here. Although, everyone might not agree on everything, people do things differently, but that is one of the beauties from this site!

Hello from Raleigh, NC. If you are interested in showing and mini horse clubs I would recommend East Coast Miniature Horse Club. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Hi Julie it's nice to meet you. I'm from Pennsylvania and I came from Quarter Horses before I got into minis. I love the miniatures and can't see myself every going back. I look forward to seeing more of your posts and getting to know you better.
default_smile.png

Hi from NC Julie! Post some pics. We all like to see them. We are in western NC. Glad to see another mini person in NC too.

Welcome to the forum from another one that loves performance! Please check out our website (and link to public Facebook page) for all the things we do with ours, including 4-H. Also check out the basic information about minis (it has its own page on our site) and the information for the 4-Hers on that page.

I had big horses for about 50 years, including one half-Arab and one full Arab. My last big horse was a pinto, so that is why we breed pinto minis.

Check out the LB Driving forum too...

Welocme to the wonderful world of mini's! I came from Paint Horses and don't regret it except I wish I would have changed to mini's years ago!. Looking forward to seeing pics of your boy.

Hi Julie, and welcome from Maryland, I too belong to East Coast Miniature Horse Club, please check us out! If you only have one, soon you will have many!

Hi! I'm new to minis too, I come from a performance/working background as well but with QH's and the occasional draft horse. It's been fun learning about the differences in the minis and they're not lying about how you can't have just one. They are a blast!

I'm much farther south in cajun country, but my grandparents were from Goldsboro, and have other family in Mt Olive and Smithfield, just a little bit on the other side of Fayetteville from you. I used to know the area well. I haven't visited in over 12 years but I always enjoyed my time up there.

Just a quick note to all....THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I appreciate all of the replys, and will get to each of you on an individual basis over the next couple of days. I appreciate the welcome, the introductions, and the fact that many of you are members of ECMHC. I tried to get to the last meeting, but had an issue that needed immediate attention...soooo...look for me at the Mike Rosauer clinic in June!! For those of you that are in Eastern NC and around the Raleigh area, I hope to get to some of your farms and meet your horses in person (y'all too of course!)

Yipee minis!!
default_risa8.gif
Can't wait to get competitive!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Julie ! Good to see you on here....this is a great forum !!! And we are excited to meet you and welcome you, officially, to the East Coast Miniature Horse Club. Sorry you missed our last meeting, but hope you can join us at other events... the Mike Rosauer clinic (June 9, 2012) promises to be a fantastic day and so glad you'll be there.

Be sure to check the website www.ecmhc.com for all the latest news. Again, welcome.... love your excitement !!!!

Welcome Julie from NJ

You will love the world of miniatures and this forum for sure

you will love the miniature performance classes too

looking forward to pictures of your little man

Welcome to the forum. Its a wealth of information on minis, along with the main website: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/ Where you'll find information on the info pages, breeder connect page, tack supplier page and so much more.

You'll soon learn, that with minis, you can't have just one.
default_wink.png

WELCOME (from Ontario, Canada) to the forum and to the wonderful world of Miniature horses! It sounds like you got off to a fine start! Can't wait to see your new boy!

Hi neighbor, welcome to wonderful world of minis. We also came from arabians into minis. You are very close to us, about 40 mins away. we are in robbins. come visit sometime.

Hello and welcome from northeast Ohio I also came from large horses and love my easy to handle driving mini. Check out the driving forum. This is a great site to get all the information that you need about minis

Welcome Julie, from sunny Arizona! You sound like a very enthusiastic and fun person with lots to share. Ok, so what you got was just a 'wee bit' off of what you asked for.... LOL You will LOVE the Minis and their intelligence and willingness to please.

Have fun here- lots of great folks here and sometimes some 'exciting' discussions, LOL

Can't wait to see pics of your little guy!

Latest posts

Back