introducing green new hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
We were just able to get a round bale of wonderful green SOFT!!! bermuda hay. It is so nice. I can smell it from everywhere in the yard
default_biggrin.png

I cant wait to get my little ones on it. They have a nice hay now , but still last years. I have been giving them small amounts of a bemuda clover mix to get them somewhat used to the green.

How carefull should I be? How slow to introduce the new green hay? The plan is to role the bale into the raised covered hay feeder, but block it from them
default_wacko.png
and hand feed mixed with the old till they are adjusted. A few days to a week. Does that sound right?

I gave them just a taste last night and I could see the waves of joy come off them.
default_wub.png

and of all things, I think I may be allergic to something in the hay! Pollon, something, or maybe the silly flies. I just dont know.

Anyone else have allergys that can share how they manage with hay and or bugs, if it irritates them? I am not positve what is causing my itchies but the hay and flies are a possiblility.

thanks!!!
default_saludando.gif

Your plan to take a few days to a week to get your horses changed over to the new hay sounds perfect.
default_yes.gif

I don't have allergies but the daughters of one my friends do, (to horses!) and they love horses, so they take Benadryl before they go out to play with them,then wash their hands and faces really well when they go back inside (changing your clothes could be very helpful too) Congrats on your new hay, I just LOVE the smell of fresh hay!
default_biggrin.png

I usually like a week to change over to any new feed.

For my allergies, I like claritin and plain sudafed (the kind you now have to get at the pharmacy counter). If its something in the hay causing contact allergies, you might try washing her hands and arms with soap after you are done handling it (like don't wait); that's what I need to do after stacking hay to get rid of the little pricklies I get from moving hay.

For allergies I can not say enough about a nose bidet or nettie pot. It cleans out your sinuses and helps if you take a nasal spray.

I gave mine a week to get used to the new grass and they did fine.

Latest posts

Back