Introducing Grass to rescued mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
We just adopted two sweet mini's which are coming Wednesday! They were very malnorished and have not had grass in a VERY long time if ever even. Poor things have been in a 12x12 box stall together for a few weeks with no turn out eating only hay and alfalpha cubes as they were on a strict refeeding program. I was thinking of turning them out for 1 hour a day for the first week for starters. Then gradually increasing it to 2 hours a day for a week ect. They have white line disease on there front hooves. What does everyone think?

I would probably discuss it with their vet first and be sure it is advisable at this time in their rehab, and then with his ok, start slowly, I'd go with no more than 1/2 hour per day to start for a week or so, then if all is well, move upto an hour for a week or so, etc. Probably nothing better than fresh grass to bring one back from the brink, but it must be introduced slowly.

Latest posts

Back