Introducing Consuelo - Foal watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBENES

Reaction score
I acquired this 9 year old 31.5 inch pinto miniature in mid March. She was in a sad state, with lice, worms, respiratory infection and long feet. The equine dentist said he didn't think she had ever had her teeth floated. She is very compliant and sweet tempered, engaging in mutual grooming during her daily "spa" treatments. Instead of gaining her trust, I had to learn to trust her, as she will "groom" my scalp and ears to let me know when I have hit just the right spot. Clearly, she has never been abused, but was seriously neglected.
Now the scary part. I knew when I got her that she had been pasture bred last June, shortly after her last foal was born on May 29. I raise sheep, have fostered endangered ponies, and had two children of my own, but after watching every foaling video I could find, I am so afraid something will go wrong. I've promised Consuelo that I will never breed her and we will keep this foal as her companion. We just have to get through this together. My husband named her - it is an old Castilian name which means solace, and she has brought me that and more during this strange year of isolation. The first picture is from her registration papers, the second is the day she arrived, after preliminary grooming (farrier work was done before she was shipped) third was taken this week.

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_004939912.jpg
    PXL_20210307_004939912.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 13
  • First day.jpg
    First day.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210422_231232510.jpg
    PXL_20210422_231232510.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I acquired this 9 year old 31.5 inch pinto miniature in mid March. She was in a sad state, with lice, worms and long feet. The equine dentist said he didn't think she had ever had her teeth floated. She is very compliant and sweet tempered, engaging in mutual grooming during her daily "spa" treatments. Instead of gaining her trust, I had to learn to trust her, as she will "groom" my scalp and ears to let me know when I have hit just the right spot. Clearly, she has never been abused, but was seriously neglected.
Now the scary part. I knew when I got her that she had been pasture bred last June, shortly after her last foal was born on May 29. I raise sheep, have fostered endangered ponies, and had two children of my own, but after watching every foaling video I could find, I am so afraid something will go wrong. I've promised Consuelo that I will never breed her and we will keep this foal as her companion. We just have to get through this together. My husband named her - it is an old Castilian name which means solace, and she has brought me that and more during this strange year of isolation. The first picture is from her registration papers, the second is the day she arrived, after preliminary grooming (farrier work was done before she was shipped) third was taken this week.
Oh she's beautiful and what a beautiful name too!

What a lovely little mare !! Hard to see how someone could neglect her ! I'm really glad she found you... or you found her ! 😊
I really hope all goes well for Consuelo and her baby to come! I Hope you will keep us updated!

Welcome! She is lovely! There are several kind hearted people on this forum that will be able to help you through your foaling journey. I've never gone through it myself but have been following the recent foaling threads here and learned a lot.

Last edited:
She is wonderful, thank you so much for giving her a loving home.
I'm not a breeder but have had 2 rescues come in foal and am waiting for a big oops baby right now. I agree, foal watch is terrifying. Do you know if she is in foal or is it a maybe? Any foal movement you can see/feel? Any changes in her udder? Can you get a picture of her from behind at her level a few feet back? Do you have somewhere you can keep her where you can have a camera on her at night? She's done this before so that will work in your favor and with her personality she probably will let you in with the baby right away. Was she only bred in June?

She is wonderful, thank you so much for giving her a loving home.
I'm not a breeder but have had 2 rescues come in foal and am waiting for a big oops baby right now. I agree, foal watch is terrifying. Do you know if she is in foal or is it a maybe? Any foal movement you can see/feel? Any changes in her udder? Can you get a picture of her from behind at her level a few feet back? Do you have somewhere you can keep her where you can have a camera on her at night? She's done this before so that will work in your favor and with her personality she probably will let you in with the baby right . Was she only bred in June?

The vet that certified her for interstate travel and treated her for a respiratory virus that delayed her arrival spoke with me by phone, and said she believed that Consuelo was due mid May. She foaled on May 29, 2020 and her previous owner said it was an easy foaling. She was "immediately"put in with a stallion, for the month of June. I have also heard that she was bred several times "4 or 5", but this was denied by the owner, who said only once. I had a local horse vet check her out in mid April and she said her weight was good, and she appeared to be pregnant. She got her annual vaccinations at that time.
Today I noticed a little pouch developing in her belly just in front of her udder. Her belly is definitely large, and lop sided. The muscles by her tail are still firm. If she ovulated 10 days after foaling last year then she is due between May 7 and May 22. About to install a baby monitor. The barn is closer to my son's house, so I will be sleeping on his kitchen couch. Once the rain stops I will get a photo of "down under" and from behind.
I think I have felt some faint movement, but no obvious kicks. This has me a little concerned, but maybe the foal is as mellow as mom. Thank you for your questions and concern. I am feeling a bit lost at the moment.

Ok. So it sounds like you're going to be guessing a bit about when she really is due but that seems to be normal(ugh). It sounds like she has some edema started, that's normally before her udder will get going. A lop sided belly is great, that would mean she is in foal 🙂. You might want to get some pool test strips(for testing pH), depending on how she likes to do it they will help you a lot in knowing when she's getting closer. With that as her guessed due date I'd be checking your camera every 2 hours at night even if she doesn't look ready. My foal has been really quiet too, it worries me but I've been told here not to worry about it. Feeling lost,stressed, panicked, terrified etc is normal, I think. Be as prepared as you can be and be there for her when she needs you. I really don't know how the pros do it every year. This is my third time and the worst so far, my mare is giving me no info on when she might be ready and I do know her breed date. Hang in there, you are starting the hardest part of this, just keep thinking about the wonderful munchkin you'll have soon. Feel free to post as often as you want, venting, panicking, any questions you have. No one will mind and everyone is great and helpful.

I just went to check on Consuelo and take some pictures. Her temperament is the same as long as I don't put my hand on her belly or touch her nipples. This is a complete change from the way she has been behaving. Just a couple of days ago she was grooming my back while I cleaned the black oily substance between her nipples. Today when I used a warm cloth she actually let me feel (gently) her teeth. Afterwards she licked my hand apologetically, but she is clearly physically uncomfortable. She wouldn't let me place my hands on her belly to check for signs of fetal movement. Usually I do all grooming with her unhaltered and unrestrained. Again, totally different behavior. I am attaching pics taken today. I let her out on cotton lunge line to let her graze for about 20 minutes a day. I was attached to the other end, she isn't left tied. Is this typical late pregnant behavior?

Attachments

• April 29 lopsided belly.jpg
    April 29 lopsided belly.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 4
  • April 29 pregnant Consuelo.jpg
    April 29 pregnant Consuelo.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Consuelo 4 29 nipples.jpg
    Consuelo 4 29 nipples.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Consuelo Apr 29.jpg
    Consuelo Apr 29.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4
  • April 29 lopsided belly.jpg
    April 29 lopsided belly.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 4
  • April 29 pregnant Consuelo.jpg
    April 29 pregnant Consuelo.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Consuelo 4 29 nipples.jpg
    Consuelo 4 29 nipples.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Consuelo Apr 29.jpg
    Consuelo Apr 29.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4
Yes, that is normal. Behaviour changes and being uncomfortable are both signs of them getting to the end. Keep working with her slowly and gently to try to get her to let you handle at least her udder if you can without getting her upset and you bitten or kicked.That does look like a pregnant belly to me especially with it over to the left. Unfortunately, going by the book she doesn't look very close yet. Her udder has a lot more filling to do and no elongation. That said, no one looking at my mare would guess she was in foal let alone on day 348. I really hope Consuelo is going to get ready fast near the end and you're not going to have a summer like I did last year. I got a little mare at the end of March and the rescue told me she was due in April after I brought her home. I ran and got everything ready and started 2 hour checks at night. Turned out they were wrong and she had a colt in July. I did foal watch the whole time since she looked close from the end of April on. Looking back of course she looked a lot closer in July but I had no idea what her routine was. She looks great, you're doing a good job with her.

Welcome to the forum :)

Changes to a mares behavior late in pregnancy is a sign she is getting close. Its great she's letting you interact with her as some mares can be the total opposite.

Theres some great articles at the top of the marestare forum for foaling kits, problems that may occur etc. As Taz said, ask as many questions as you like , everyones really friendly :)

Admin- Could we get this moved over to the marestare forum please ? @Angie

Reactions: Taz
Welcome to the forum :)

Changes to a mares behavior late in pregnancy is a sign she is getting close. Its great she's letting you interact with her as some mares can be the total opposite.

Theres some great articles at the top of the marestare forum for foaling kits, problems that may occur etc. As Taz said, ask as many questions as you like , everyones really friendly :)
I realized too late that this belonged in a different forum. If the admin can either move it or tell me how to do it I will be happy to comply. Thank you and apologies for not properly placing this. The support is so greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Taz
We had very high winds which had her spooked though she does not like to go into the walk out stall. I would swear that she was asking me to fix the weather the way she would look at me when it gusted. She did let me feel her udder, and requested some neck and butt rubs. The PH strips arrived today, and barn monitor, which will hopefully be in working order soon. I don't think she is ready to let down any milk yet, but will try in a few days.

Latest posts

Back