Intro to two new rescues and myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merogsrha

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I'd like to introduce myself as a new member of the forums, and a happy new owner of two rescued Miniature Horses! My name is Jess, and I first became involved with horses in my young teens. I owned riding horses up until my senior year in high school when I "left" the horse world. Fast forward two children, and I got myself a miniature gelding named "Rusty" from a family who couldnt handle his bad attitude - I traded them an english saddle and a few bucks for him. I put some training into him, albet not much, but he had settled down since he was by himself. He was gelded very late after being the herd stud for many years. I ended up selling him to a nice man who wanted a friend for his miniature potbelly pig. Long story short(er), I got a call to see if I would take Rusty and his mare friend Patsy. I quickly went to work converting my storage building into an oversize stall, and brought them home.

I have Rusty's original paperwork from his original breeder, though I dont believe it was ever finalized. The mare I have no idea about other than She is "Rusty's Age". Rusty was born in April 30 2003 and was called: "Huddle Creeks Lucky" sired by Stoney Creek Prides Boot Scootin out of Stoney Creek Little Miss April. Anyone recognize any names? He is the sorrel. Rusty is in OK shape, a little wormy, but a slightly over-healthy weight.

The mare came with the name Patsy; although I am trying to figure out a suitable new name... thinking Cookie since the kids can say Oreo yet ;) She in the Black and White paint She is thin, with her spine, hips, shoulders and sternum easily being felt, though not seen with her hair coat. If it werent winter already, Id clip her some to get better pics. I have them on decent hay and free choice mineral salt block and H20. I have given them 1/2 Invermetcin wormer, with a full dose next week. I didnt want to shock their system since who knows the last time they were wormed.

I am debating on what kind of grain to get them (mainly the mare). First I was going to get what we fed our horses "back in the day" which was plain 12% sweet feed and/or rolled oats. Then I heard about the Purina Miniature Horse & Pony feed. Checked prices, and The Purina is about $5 more here per 50lb, $15 more per 100lb. Anyone have a prefrence/thought?

ETA: "Cookie" was pastured with her coming 3 yr old filly, and coming 2 yr old colt (NOT gelded). I am thinking that means there is a possibility she may have been covered by her colt if he got a little frisky... Possible, or not likely?

cookief.jpg

cookiel.jpgcookier.jpgcookierr.jpgrustyl.jpgrustyr.jpgrustyrr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had some weight issues as well. I talked to my Nutrena rep and he told me (per weight of animal divided by 2 feedings what the bags say) He has my to lean boys on complete feed and senior feed. older horse you care about their special needs. I did the feed selector by nutrena and it suggested the life design senior for your horses. ( this is just what it said)

• Easily digestible blend of nutrients is ideal for the aging digestive system
  • Contains rice bran, flaxseed, and beet pulp for overall health
  • Highly palatable formula encourages consistent consumption
  • Feed as sole ration or in combination with hay
  • Balanced Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acid levels from select vegetable oil sources to help reduce the risk of inflammation
  • Guaranteed amino acid levels to support muscle maintenance and health
  • Added prebiotics and probiotics aid in nutrient digestion
  • Organic trace mineral complexes for increased bioavailability, immune system support and protein utilization
  • Guaranteed level of biotin to support muscle, hair coat and hoof development.
  • Increased fat level for improved weight maintenance for older horses.
  • Guaranteed vitamin and mineral levels to support overall health and well being.

Ok, I gotta ask... What happened to their tails?

Congrats on your new additions and enjoy them.

LOL. Their former owner gave them a hair cut when I asked for pictures to help him advertise them for sale (before he offered them to me). He cut their manes, forelocks, and tails all off b/c of burdocks I guess.

I AM thinking of keeping Rusty's mane roached, but allowing his forelock and tail to continue to grow
default_smile.png

I am new to the registry world (never owned a registered horse in my life), and I know the AMHA/AMHR rules are "funny". Can either of them be brought permenant? I am fortunate enough to have the original registry paperwork his breeders filed. I am amazed they stayed with him through the years
default_smile.png
Even his two foal pictures on the back of them
default_smile.png

Do any of the names jump out at ya as far as show horses go? Will never be showing him any farther than our local 4H/fun shows; and even that is a few years away. I dont believe Rusty has that stellar of a conformation to be "worth" paying for permenant status and/or showing. Although I will admit, having the eye for conformation has never been a strong point ;) Cookie seems to have a pretty head with what you can see through the hair. Tomorrow I may take a pair of scissers to some of the extra hair around her jaw line and chest to kind of see her "shape" more.

Greetings from North Carolina!

I have 3 rescues, and their foals..a driving pony, gelding, 2 mini donkeys and an ancient Angus heifer. All greatly loved by my granddaughters. Nothing beats minis!

ETA: "Cookie" was pastured with her coming 3 yr old filly, and coming 2 yr old colt (NOT gelded). I am thinking that means there is a possibility she may have been covered by her colt if he got a little frisky... Possible, or not likely?

If you look around online a lot of sources are consistent with the maturity of a stud colt being around 2-2 1/2 years of age, so in all likelihood it's possible, although I don't know how old exactly he is to really know, I'm no professional. From what I've learned in my time around horses, he could very well be mature, but being a "jr stallion" fertility isn't guarenteed. Wouldn't hurt to at least check right? There's a decent amount of urine tests for mares out there as well as a veterinary exam of sorts. I'm sure someone with more experience and knowledge in the breeding business than I will point you in the right direction :)

welcome to the forum!

Welcome from NJ.... You'll have a great time in the miniature world..and you've come to the right place for help and guidence

Your new additions are so cute, you'll be surprised how quickly they grow back those tails

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh.. beautiful little paint. We just bought two little miniatures as well. They were in good shape when we bought them but one really was too chubby and the other was thin because of her teeth not being cared for. We had their first vet check here and the tooth issue fixed and now the little skinny one has put on weight and the chubby has lost weight. We have had them for about a month and we do have questions .. A lot. This is my first post here. You have some great potential horses. Love the paint because our dog has those markings and our Boers are paints. We could call our place painted acres.

If you look around online a lot of sources are consistent with the maturity of a stud colt being around 2-2 1/2 years of age, so in all likelihood it's possible, although I don't know how old exactly he is to really know, I'm no professional. From what I've learned in my time around horses, he could very well be mature, but being a "jr stallion" fertility isn't guarenteed. Wouldn't hurt to at least check right? There's a decent amount of urine tests for mares out there as well as a veterinary exam of sorts. I'm sure someone with more experience and knowledge in the breeding business than I will point you in the right direction :)

welcome to the forum!
Thank you! I figured it was unlikely, but never being around any sort of breeding in my years with horses, I wasn't 100% sure. I know there are a lot of breeders here who have "first hand" experience vs the web results I have gotten. The colt is turning two this coming year (2013), though I am not sure of his exact birthdate. I know Cookie has had two foals at least; as the person I got them from had bought her with her (coming 3yr old) filly, and the (coming 2 yr old) colt. I will check into a urine test for her just to be sure
default_smile.png
Thanks again!!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and great advice, and compliments on my new additions
default_smile.png
I was involved with riding horses for about 4 years (until senior in high school), and then got out of horses until I originally bought Rusty last year
default_smile.png
Sold him when time was short (newborn and 2 yr old), and then just got him back, along with Cookie
default_smile.png

They are settling well, but I am going to be building Rusty a tie stall in my small barn. He is pushing Cookie away from the hay and water (maybe why she is so thin, and he is so fat?!) and he could learn some patience and manners
default_smile.png
Dewormed then a second time this morning, and have not seen any worms in their manure. Thinking maybe Rusty is part of the reason she is so thin, not just worms... Going to be sure there are several feeding locations for her this winter in the pasture... He can't guard them all, and if he tries, maybe he will run off some of his extra weight ;)

And to Castle Rock- thanks for the registry info. I probably wont worry about that with Rusty after thinking about it... if it were Cookie, maybe, but dont think it'd be "worth" the time effort and money, since I have no plans on showing him in any big shows
default_smile.png

Hi

Welcome

Grow the mane

Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Best wishes

Latest posts

Back