intranasal flu vaccine by intervet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
has anyone ever used the intranasal flu vaccine on their horses? (Flu Avert - I think it's called - by Intervet) If so, any side effects or anything? Would you use it again or do you prefer the actual injection?

Thanks.

Suz

I believe that is the one I used last year. There were no side effects in my ponies and from my reading this type of vaccine may be more effective as it is introduced in the same place where the flu virus would enter the body.

I've had really good luck with Merial Recombitek rFlu. Its an annual injection that lasts 12 months. As far as the IN vaccine, I've heard good things but never used it myself. I know how hard it is to make sure the horses get a full dose of Pinnicle, but I'm told the flu vaccine comes with a far superior nasal tube.

I have not ever tried it. Years ago, at my trainer's stable, I helped nasally vaccinate 30 or so minis and full size horses for strangles and we both thought at the time, the nasal vaccine for that was a much bigger pain in the butt than an injection would have been. The delivery system was via a fairly long nasal tube. Now, I do not recall if we snipped it shorter for minis or not, but I do remember it was hard to administer swiftly and most of the horses were very uncooperative when it came to letting us stick it up their noses. The delivery for this vaccine, though, may be more straight forward and easier.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone ever used the intranasal flu vaccine on their horses? (Flu Avert - I think it's called - by Intervet) If so, any side effects or anything? Would you use it again or do you prefer the actual injection?
Thanks.

Suz

I used this for the first time this year, and it worked great. I had to take a mare to OSU this spring (that had not been vaccinated for the flu). (Actually, I hadn't done any of my spring vaccs yet.) While she was there, she contracted the flu.
default_wacko.png
Before I brought her home, OSU recommended I vaccinate ALL my horses with Flu Avert. The reason is the immunities kick in within 2 days or something compared to about 2 weeks with the injectable kind. I didn't vaccinate all my horses, but I did vaccinate all the pregnant mares and horses in the barn. I brought the mare home, and didn't have a single horse at home come down with the flu.
default_smile.png

I think just for normal circumstances, I would use the the injectable flu shot, but if you are in quick need to boost flu immunity I wouldn't hesitate to use Flu Avert again.

Latest posts

Back