Intestinal stones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had to deal with intestinal stones with their mini? Mine seems to colic around this time when the weather gets colder. Vet came out and treated him for colic but nothing has passed through. Vet now thinks it maybe intestinal stones. Hoping for some positive out come.

You wouldn't think stones would only cause issues when it gets colder. However, ulcers might be something to contemplate if the episodes only occur at certain times, which could be stressful for a particular equine. I had a sensitive mare that I thought was colicing, but turns out she easily stressed and would get mild to moderate ulcers, so for things I knew would stress her, I gave her an ulcer prevention product. The go to product I had at the time is not longer available, but there are plenty of products on the market to try and see if any of them keep her comfortable during times you think might be a problem. It might not be ulcers, but trying an ulcer prevention product starting at least a few days before you think she might normally have a colicy reaction.

Just wondering how your mini is. Did the vet do an ultrasound? I have had a couple of ponies that colic sometimes with the weather change, it's usually gas colic though. Or their manure gets dry. When I know a big weather swing is coming, I give them a soaking wet mash with a little salt to get them drinking and give them a couple (2 or 3) gas-x pills Then I wet the hay til the weather stabilizes. My vet said I could
add mineral oil to the mash to get the manure soft. I usually use 1/4 cup but run this one by your vet first:). Hope everything is ok.

Just wondering how your mini is. Did the vet do an ultrasound? I have had a couple of ponies that colic sometimes with the weather change, it's usually gas colic though. Or their manure gets dry. When I know a big weather swing is coming, I give them a soaking wet mash with a little salt to get them drinking and give them a couple (2 or 3) gas-x pills Then I wet the hay til the weather stabilizes. My vet said I could
add mineral oil to the mash to get the manure soft. I usually use 1/4 cup but run this one by your vet first:). Hope everything is ok.
Hi,
Thanks for asking. My heart is broken. There was a blockage in his intestine, he could not pass. Vet said building up for some time. I've only had him for three years. The two other times one was colic and the second gas colic. I'm so emotional and cry a lot. From the movie It's a Wonderful Life an angel gets his wings every time a bell rings. Did you hear a bell yesterday?
Mint and I miss him so very much😭😇🐴

Hi,
Thanks for asking. My heart is broken. There was a blockage in his intestine, he could not pass. Vet said building up for some time. I've only had him for three years. The two other times one was colic and the second gas colic. I'm so emotional and cry a lot. From the movie It's a Wonderful Life an angel gets his wings every time a bell rings. Did you hear a bell yesterday?
Mint and I miss him so very much😭😇🐴
I am so sorry. My heart hurts for you.

Thank you all for you compassion. I don't know when I will stop crying.
"Run Free
You are free. No more pain. You're flying high, heaven to see. Four hooves off the ground, wings carry you now. Our time together was short but my love for you so strong. I will carry you in my heart, as you will always be a part of me. Run fast Run free Hershey!"
mjglover

Latest posts

Back