Interpreting DNA color testing results.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
Found the DNA color testing results on my mare that always produces dilute (double dilute? what's the differance?) foals. She had a colt this year that is either a cremello or perlino, and I posted a picture of him early on and was told to post his dam's color results. Here they are:

Extension (Red factor) E/e Heterozygote for black pigment production, a dominant trait. When bred to a chestnut stallion (+homozygous for the Red Factor e/e) there will be a 50% chance of producing a chestnut based foal.

Agouti a/a Homozygous for the recessive Agouti allele "a" . In the presence of a dominant allele at the Extension gene (E/e, allowing the expression of black pigment), the base color of this horse will be black.

Cream Dilution Cr/cr Heterozygous for the Cream Dilution mutation. In a black base horse, this will result in a smoky black color (in the absence of any additional modifying genes). This mare is expected to pass the Cream Dilution to approximately 50% of her offspring.

First of all, this mare looks like a brown and white pinto. She has always been bred to buckskins, and has produced cremello, a cremello and white pinto, a foal that it was suspected is champayne (the testing on this foal said there wasn't a test at that time to prove if it was or not champayne...?), last year's was a silver buckskin, and now this baby, cremello or perlino. Is there a way of knowing what he is by what his dam's report says? He has blue eyes and pink skin.

SunnyboyJune2010007.jpg

SunnyboyJune2010008.jpg

A couple more questions, (thank you for your patience with me!). I have bred this mare to my black and white stallion for 2011. Some folks say she will have a buckskin (maybe pinto), some say a smokey black. Hmmmm.....

The little colt above has been sold and will be used as a breeding stallion. This farm has a number of homozygous (National Multi-Color Champions!!!) black and white mares. The colt was bought to be breed to them. To produce black & white, but add his BTU bloodlines. Could he be homozygous for dilute and not produce black & white, or will the black and white homozygous dominate?

Thank you! There is so much to learn about color!

What color is the sire of this foal? You say she's always been bred to buckskin, is that the case with this foal, too? [Has the foal's sire been tested for DNA color?]

Your mare is smokey black, which is probably why she looks brown. She herself does not have agouti (gene that produces bay, so she can not pass it to her foals).

This foal is likely to be cremello or perlino, but without DNA color testing on him, it would be hard to say which.

She's smokey silver black. The test makes her smokey black, and throwing a silver buckskin from a plain buckskin means she's carrying silver.

(The difference between single dilutes and double dilutes is that singles - i.e buckskins, smokey blacks, and palominos - only carry one copy of the cream gene. Doubles - cremello, perlino, smokey cream - carry two.)

Not much telling in what the colt is. Unless you knew if the sire was homozygous for anything, since the dam is agouti negative and Ee, he could be either of the 3 double dilutes, plus silver.
default_biggrin.png

When breeding smokey silver black to black, you can get: black, silver black, smokey black, or smokey silver black, and if the sire's Ee as well or unknown, then red or palomino too. But no way buckskin, one would need to be carrying Agouti for that, which neither does.

Depending on what that colt does carry, and those person's mares, they could get literally almost anything, but he'll always pass on his dilute gene.

Found the DNA color testing results on my mare that always produces dilute (double dilute? what's the differance?) dilute is one copy, double diulute is two copies of the Cream gene. Double dilutes are homozygous for Cream. foals. She had a colt this year that is either a cremello or perlino, and I posted a picture of him early on and was told to post his dam's color results. Here they are:

Extension (Red factor) E/e Heterozygote for black pigment production, a dominant trait. When bred to a chestnut stallion (+homozygous for the Red Factor e/e) there will be a 50% chance of producing a chestnut based foal.

Agouti a/a Homozygous for the recessive Agouti allele "a" . In the presence of a dominant allele at the Extension gene (E/e, allowing the expression of black pigment), the base color of this horse will be black. No Agouti, so she cannot produce a Perlino, Buckskin or Bay unless the foal inherits Agouti from the sire.

Cream Dilution Cr/cr Heterozygous for the Cream Dilution mutation. In a black base horse, this will result in a smoky black color (in the absence of any additional modifying genes). This mare is expected to pass the Cream Dilution to approximately 50% of her offspring. In order to produce a double dilute foal, she must be bred to a stallion who also carries Cream. Then it will be about a 25% chance of double dilute foal unless the stallion is double dilute, then it is 50% chance.

First of all, this mare looks like a brown and white pinto. She has always been bred to buckskins, and has produced cremello, a cremello and white pinto, a foal that it was suspected is champayne (the testing on this foal said there wasn't a test at that time to prove if it was or not champayne...?), last year's was a silver buckskin, and now this baby, cremello or perlino. Is there a way of knowing what he is by what his dam's report says? The dam's report (and the stallion's too, for that matter) can only tell you the possibilities, not for certain what the foal is. He has blue eyes and pink skin. A good indication that he is a double dilute, but could be Smokey Cream, Perlino, or Cremello.

SunnyboyJune2010007.jpg

SunnyboyJune2010008.jpg

A couple more questions, (thank you for your patience with me!). I have bred this mare to my black and white stallion for 2011. Some folks say she will have a buckskin (maybe pinto), some say a smokey black. Hmmmm..... She cannot produce a Buckskin from this breeding as she does not carry Agouti, and the Black stallion does not carry Agouti. If she passes on her Cream gene, it could be a Smokey Black, or if both parents are heterozygous Black/Red, it could be a Palomino.

The little colt above has been sold and will be used as a breeding stallion. This farm has a number of homozygous (National Multi-Color Champions!!!) black and white mares. Homozygous for Black or homozygous for Tobiano? The colt was bought to be breed to them. To produce black & white, but add his BTU bloodlines. Could he be homozygous for dilute and not produce black & white, or will the black and white homozygous dominate? He certainly appears to be homozygous for Cream. If so, he will always pass on one copy of the Cream gene. If the mares are homozygous for Black, the foals will all be Smokey Blacks, but if they are heterozygous for Black/Red, and homozygous for Tobiano, they could be Palomino, but always Pinto.

Thank you! There is so much to learn about color!

I believe a number of these mares are homozygous for both black and tobiano.

Wow, there is alot to color!!! Thank you so much for all of your great answers! Can't wait to read more of them!

On your site you describe the mare a Chestnut, which she obviously is not since she carries Cream, so she must be a Smoky Black.

I do not see Silver, even allowing for Cream inhibiting it, so is it possible that the Silver came form the sire (of the silver buckskin foal) and have you tested the foal for Silver, or is it just a very pale Buckskin?

On your site you describe the mare a Chestnut, which she obviously is not since she carries Cream, so she must be a Smoky Black.

I do not see Silver, even allowing for Cream inhibiting it, so is it possible that the Silver came form the sire (of the silver buckskin foal) and have you tested the foal for Silver, or is it just a very pale Buckskin?

On the mares papers, it says chesnut pinto. When I put the site together, I thought that must be what she is, if the papers say that...The "silver buckskin" filly is a light buckskin with brown points on her legs and her mane and tail are mixed with brown, not black. On her paperwork for color, I put "please advise", and it came back "silver buckskin". Several people told me that she (her name is Bless the Irish!) is a cream dun, but this year I don't see her dorsal stripe at all. I haven't had her tested yet, and probably won't for a while, as my hubby has been ill for months ($$$ shortage at this point...) and we are keeping her. Very likely the silver came from her sire, as Bonnie has never thrown silver before. I remember that you like color questions, Rabbitsfizz, and was looking forward to hearing from you!

Latest posts

Back