International cell phones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell

Reaction score
I have been searching but haven't come up with the ultimate answer yet so maybe someone here could help me? I have 2 family members in Iraq and they want me to find them international cell phones that will work over there. If you could help "refine" my research i would be so greatful.

Another question. Does it have to be quad ban...whatever that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably won't be much help, but when I was working as a sales manager for Sandals Resorts I had to travel through out the Caribbean to the different islands for several days each month. Most of the USA sales managers went to the mall on one of the islands and went to a cell phone kiosk and were able to pick up really cheap cell phones that worked internationally (they used them to call home to the USA). There was no service plan or anything, you just bought international minutes (surprisingly cheap) that would be put on the phone. "Pay as you go".

There is a huge problem internationally in regards to fraud and long distance billing and calling cards were difficult to use (needed a pay phone) and no one wanted to risk adding an international plan to their regular cell phone that they used back here at home because of the possibility of all sorts of things getting billed on their bill. Not just calls they didn't make, there was problems with actual merchandise and 900 numbers getting added on to their bills without their authorization. Other countries don't monitor and control that sort of thing as well as the USA and dealing with overseas companies and trying to get unauthorized stuff off your bill was almost impossible. The "pay as you go" phones are much safer and more fraud proof.

That isn't much help in Iraq unless they can get to a nearby city that offers something similar.

It would be easier though for them to do it this way than figuring out how to buy the right phone/plan here and sending it over to them. I figured I'd share my experience just in case.

Do any of the military websites or forums have any info on this? You might want to give that a shot, I am sure it is a popular topic.

Bluebell said:
Thanks. I am trying some of the military forums.
514913[/snapback]

The guys can get phones at the PX, which is much safer and fraud free than the open market most places... have them check with others that already have cell phones to see what has worked for others there. military moms on some of those forums are a goldmine of info as well... mine had a cell phone but he had to leave it at home base for security reasons. If they get caught in the field with them (he was infantry marine) they get in trouble, since the calls can be tracked. The guys got access at the bases to phones and computers. They can buy calling cards on ship on the way over or at the px's which are a much better buy than anything we can provide for them. hugs from another military mom....
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back