Interesting link from A candidate for President of AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
I received the following link from Gary Barnes about his candidacy for president of AMHA. Thought I would pass it along. there are some interesting thoughts on the web page to me anyway!
default_wink.png

John

Let me know your thoughts, OK?

http://www.minidrivinghorses.com

Gary

bar-NS Horse Ranch

Miniature Driving Horse Training

Gary FINALLY updated the website!

http://www.minidrivinghorse.com

You know.. the more I know about the way registries are run and the shady things that go on behind the scenes ( in this case AMHA and AMHR) the more I wish I didnt know. In so many ways life was so much easier when I was just blinded by ignorance and really believed everyone involved on the BOD and EC were there truly for the love of the miniature horse or pony...

Now instead I wonder when did they lose that love when did they lose the passion for the breed they worked so hard for? When did it become a all about my own agenda rather then the good of all- -all questions I will not get any answers to but sure makes me look at my own needs and wants from a registry and how far I personally am willing to go to make it happen.

You know.. the more I know about the way registries are run and the shady things that go on behind the scenes ( in this case AMHA and AMHR) the more I wish I didnt know. In so many ways life was so much easier when I was just blinded by ignorance and really believed everyone involved on the BOD and EC were there truly for the love of the miniature horse or pony...Now instead I wonder when did they lose that love when did they lose the passion for the breed they worked so hard for? When did it become a all about my own agenda rather then the good of all- -all questions I will not get any answers to but sure makes me look at my own needs and wants from a registry and how far I personally am willing to go to make it happen.

Very well said Lisa, and I think you speak for many people that feel the same way, myself included.
default_no.gif

I sincerely wish Gary well with his attempts to help out where he can with these problems within our association.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, ignorance is bliss.

It is very discouraging to know some of the stuff that has gone on.

I do believe that it is a conflict of interest for a sitting president to vote on something concerning his future with the association.

I also know that vocal people like Gary tend to get a reputation.

I am not sure it is the right place to air all the concerns in the World Magazine. Conflict does tend to stifle growth of an organization of any size.

So I guess my answer is I don't know if it is right or wrong. But I suppose we need to have a grass roots effort to get all the "regular" people to the meeting to decide what is in our best interest.

The meeting is in Kentucky this year and as always there will be very few folks that actually attend the meeting and get to vote on the most important of the issues at hand.
default_wacko.png

Till we can get a large number of folks there to vote on changes, status quo will prevail as a general rule. Unfortunate but true.
default_no.gif

Additionally, to comment on something one of the other posters said, is that Gary will tell you exactly where and what he is doing anytime someone asks. And yes this has caused him to have a reputation for being vocal. Sometimes I have agreed with him and many times I have not.
default_unsure.png

He has though been good for the driving side of things, bringing about a number of changes/additions that have enhanced the World show experience as it is. For that service I am thankful, as I see the driving side of things as the expansion future of the registry. I have always been told passionate people are sometimes very vocal and opinionated, that in its self can be intimidating to some people I guess.
default_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it is time for someone not willing to work within the current structure to try their hand at this thing. The one main thing I like about his web site is that he is in favor of adherance to the rules and regulations of the registry and of having a true office manager. That coupled with his thoughts on a strong Board of Directors, as versus just the EC making the majority of the decisions behind closed doors is something I like.
default_wub.png

Too many times it is expediant, but not in the best interest of the entire organization to make far reaching decisions with so few areas of the membership represented. To me the EC should only be making decisions that are required to be made on an emergency basis. The rest need to be made by our elected directors from each area of the country and in an open forum setting with full reporting to the general membership in my opinion.
default_1857272.gif

This will be interesting to watch and see the outcome of not only the election, but also of the rule change submitted by our own Mona, which comes up for vote at the meeting this year.
default_smokesmile.gif

By the way Thanks Mona for trying to make some real changes!!!

Stay tuned, as I am sure this is going to become more involved. I wish there was a way to get more people to the meeting to enact some of the changes we would all like to see. But I guess that is a pie in the sky desire!!!!
default_deadhorse2.gif

I attended an AMHA national meeting many years ago and was told by several people in attendance that only those who cared enough to be in attendance should be able to vote on any matters.I looked around at those at the meeting and the majority were very wealthy self employed who could afford to be there.there was no concern for thbe little guy who worked for someone elase and had to take time off work and lots os expense to attend.these same people commented that if you din't attend the meeting you didn't have enough intelligence to make a decision.Needless to say I was very turned off.I think too many directors forget the little guy and too many have their own agenda when becoming a director.I have seen the same thing happen in local clubs.there was a Miniature horse club here on the east coast that no longer exists.Too many officers promoting their own farms instead of the Minis in general.That club no longer exists.Not every Mini owner is into showing at rated shows.Many just do other things like parades, nursing homes, etc.IMO there is room for all.

After reading everything on Gary's website, I'm still really torn. He has some good points, but I'm not sure that our registry magazine is the proper venue for political disputes. Printing this ad could've started a pretty negative trend--imagine if everyone that had a gripe with the organization or even with specific members of the organization decided to start printing those gripes in the World. It's not going to make a very good impression on new members with no other knowledge of those issues, and it's not very unbiased since anyone that disagrees would then have to pay to have their own opinion heard. That said, I don't see a problem with him running a simple ad saying he's running for office that includes a link to his site--those kinds of ads are standard in any election. Does anyone know if any of the other major breed magazines have a precedent for political ads?

Rock River I agree with you on most of your points, particularly about it being a slippery slope. I think your suggestion for the simple Gary For President with a link to his web page, might have been a better approach. See I knew the more heads thinking about any subject was better, just like my mother told me. LOL
default_biggrin.png

I will never be able to attend any of the AMHA National meeting unless it is held here in Northern Nevada. I can not afford the travel and hotel costs. It doesn't mean I don't care about the issues. I also do not feel that someone has the right to stop someone from getting the word out about running for the job the person has that is stopping it. In other words a sitting pres has no right to say someone running against him can not advertise in the magazine. In fact I think ALL people running for any office in the AMHA SHOULD advertise in the magazine so everyone can read it. I do not think it is cost effective to mail out the campaign letters. Put them out for god and everyone to read.

After reading everything on Gary's website, I'm still really torn. He has some good points, but I'm not sure that our registry magazine is the proper venue for political disputes. Printing this ad could've started a pretty negative trend--imagine if everyone that had a gripe with the organization or even with specific members of the organization decided to start printing those gripes in the World. It's not going to make a very good impression on new members with no other knowledge of those issues, and it's not very unbiased since anyone that disagrees would then have to pay to have their own opinion heard. That said, I don't see a problem with him running a simple ad saying he's running for office that includes a link to his site--those kinds of ads are standard in any election. Does anyone know if any of the other major breed magazines have a precedent for political ads?
I agree with a lot of this as well, Tiffany. The MHW is not supposed to be a political platform - for anyone. And once you let one person do it - the floodgates are open. And then people would just complain about what they were or were not allowed to say or what others were saying and the hamster wheel would never end. IMO that slope is far too slippery. I have never seen ads like that in Arabian Horse World, for instance. Just photos of candidates and short bio/platform.

I think a link being supplied would be a better idea - as John suggested...

Power Corrupts, and absolutely power corrupts absolutely - high school history.

While I think most, if not all, at least start with the best intentions, it seems that they are overruled, pressured, and embarrassed into "conforming". All we can do is communicate our wants and needs, and keep on them until our voices are heard.

While I think most, if not all, at least start with the best intentions, it seems that they are overruled, pressured, and embarrassed into "conforming".
No truer words were spoken

and those that "get away" with things soon do not even try to hide there wrong doings instead they bank on the fact that we will "conform"

AMHA provided everyone at World with a lovely CD with the 2009 AMHA membership. Why not send the ad directly to the members?

While I do not like that the ad was denied without citing the policies that it says this is not in accordance with I do also agree that the ad should not be run in the associations promotional magazine.

John,

I do have to agree with you on Gary being passionate. And driven. I also respect all he has done for the association.

I am going to have to seriously consider making it to the meeting. Time to save the nickles and dimes. And try to not be tempted in using the money to buy a horse......which could happen. I have an illness. Horseaholic.

I would love to attend the meetings and conventions in person for both AMHA and AMHR. But the simple fact of the matter is that I, like 95% of the membership cannot afford to attend. Most are working people with greater financial priorities. It's not even so much about the fact of getting the time off of work, it's the travel expenses, hotel expenses, meals, etc. that can certainly turn it a very costly "vacation". I simply do not have the extra money. It's hard enough in this economy to keep food on the table, gas in the tank to get to work, and feed in the stalls. Horses are not selling, and people do not have extra money to "play with".

It's very frusterating to me, that even as a member my financial status prevents me from having a say at these meetings, because I can not afford to attend. Like many other industries, ours has many people with very large pocket books. It is that 5% of the membership that seems to have 95% of the say and control as to what happens in our associations. They don't have the worries of whether or not they can afford to attend. They can go to the meetings, horse sales, etc. and not have to worry. And they do. Probably a good thing, as there might not be anyone else there. Every member should be able to cast their vote via telephone, internet, etc. We can put a man on the moon, but I can't vote from 2,000 miles away for the changes that affect my business and financial future?? Just my opinion.

Money talks. It's sad but we all know it's true. I'm happy for those who have it. I wish I could share the wealth. People have always been so worried about financial troubles of the AMHA. Not me. Seems they often times take my money, and what do I get for it...a snotty person on the telephone when I call the office (I thought they worked for me), things that are kept from it's membership, etc. I don't worry, because any one of the many wealthy people in our membership could just write a check to bail them out, pocket change to most of them. If this article is true, and we have over 1 million dollars spread out in accounts, where did the money come from??? Where has it been? Why are my membership fees and registration fees so expensive?

I would like to know who "Owns" AMHA? Is it the members, is it the few founding fathers? Where do the "profits" go? What is the tax status of the organization?

I think this gentleman should be allowed to run an add in the AMHA World Magazine. I think that the adds are a good thing. I don't think the add's should list any views or political points or agendas. Simply...Here is Joe Smith....Candidate for AMHA President. They should be allowed to post their website address, and contact information. Their website can have their views/opinions/plans, etc. A simple photo announcing candidacy would be fine with me. I would rather not see the mudslinging happen in our magazines though. Keep it simple, and those who want to learn more about the cadidate can do so by visiting their website or calling or emailing the candidate. Our World Magazine is our greatest marketing tool. I want to keep it as such and not give newcomers the wtong impression. I don't like that this man is being censored and not allowed to run an add seeking the presidents seat. This is America. I don't know enough about the bylaws to say anything more, this is just my opinion as a member. I will post it here as it's free!

Thank you Mr. Cherry for posting this link.

One piece of information missing here is the fact that Gary was offered the chance to put an ad in just like you folks suggested, Gary for president, and a link to his website.

I wonder where the wealthy people are at the meetings. They are in the minority, most of us are your average members, with money troubles, can't afford a trainer so we do it ourselves.

Maybe someone can point them out to me in Louisville.

Where are all the caring members? Not in Ohio, Michigan or Pennsylvania for sure, only one BOD candidate for THREE positions. It can't be about the money, there is a reimbursement program so the out of pocket isn't too bad. I always share the motel room with others, pack my own breakfast food and snacks.

I am missing my first BOD meeting ever this weekend as I was ill for two weeks and had to take some immune surpressing meds. No flying for me. I hope that those BOD members that can attend do good business for AMHA.

FYI, the current AMHA president is one of us everyday people. He makes his vehicles out of junkers, rebuilding them himself. The job as president has had a huge financial impact on him and his family since he hasn't been home much to get work done. He feels very strongly about sticking to the rules, and has done so for the year he has been in place. He is also sticking to his beliefs that political statements do not belong in our magazine so you won't find anything there.

He is a good honest person who has never lied to me or the membership that I am aware of. I would be interested to know specifically what rules he has broken and what he has done wrong. I would be glad to carry the list to him and ask him to address each one.

Gary DID run an ad this issue – see page 143…that is his…links right to that site.

My registration form is in the mail. There are too many IMPORTANT issues that need my vote!

One person's vote CAN count!

dru crowell

just printed and filled out my registration for the Annual meeting too! Hate to say, the ACTUAL letter was not allowed to be published, just an empty like page with a website. but good enough for me!

Wouldn't miss this meeting for the world- h*ll or high water! Submitting a lot of show rule changes myself too, very important to get some backing at the meeting. will post them on here in a couple days.

Hey Jody we agree on this woohoo!!!
default_smile.png
I think being president is a thankless job! I know Jim is one of us good ole boys with no money. Hes always been straight up with me.

I know I went to the magazine and there was an ad which directs you to the website. Truthfully I think this has got more publicity then if the orginal ad would ran!

I had not had a vacation in well over 15 years. I went to Utah to visit friends. Silly me. I should have gone to the national meeting. For me it isn't a matter of saving and scrimping every penny to go. It cost me $125 just in gas to get to Salt Lake. Didn't pay a hotel. Yes, I bought meals. My 4 day trip cost me around $600. Oh, plus the tires I had to buy because I got a flat and ruined the tire. So lets add another $500 on top of everything for the trip. This kind of trip is a once in every 15 years kind of thing for me. Because of that I don't get the CD at Nationals. I don't get to vote. I do pay my fees. I get to go to our 2 local shows. It is a goal to have enough money to go to the rejonal show. It is very unfair when someone says if you really wanted to go to this meeting you would find a way. You show me a way when you have 4 horses and only bring in just over $800 in a month. Show me a plan and I will go to the meeting. And no, I am not selling any of my horses.

Latest posts

Back