Interesting 'horsey' programming....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
...for those who might be interested and didn't already know about it---Channel 404 on DISH is HRTV. Basically a horse-racing channel, BUT...during 'off' hours, some pretty interesting 'other' programming featuring horses/horse pursuits. Some 'clinicians' with actual knowledge, like Al Dunning and Lynn Palm; shows from Australia and the UK, with their unique and interesting perspectives, and the like. Currently, I am actually enjoying watching episodes of 'America's Favorite Trail Horse', whereby participants from all around the US are performing a course w/what appears to be a rotating panel of judges from various equestrian disciplines. The course is in TX(a cow strolls by as one contestant completes one of the obstacles!), nicely set up(large, stacked flat rocks, a creek crossing on a 'bridge' of similar type rocks, a unique 'uphill' "U" to back into, featuring a large tree root across part of it), jumps, trot-over cavaletti, a stuffed coyote!, and an oppotunity to 'show your stuff' in a 'freestyle' section. Quite a variety of equine; so far, have seen QH, Paint/Pinto, Morgan, Mustang, Mules!, and several gaited breeds, such as Rocky Mt.,Tenn. Walker, Spotted Saddle Horse, Miss. Fox Trotter, and more.

What I REALLY have enjoyed is to see how MANY of the riders are really GOOD horsemen/women...showing quiet control and patience, along w/ good seats in the saddle(not all, but MOST!)Some 'pseudo-horsey-celebrity....some guy w/an ole Palomino horse, talks to some of them after their 'go'....and I LOVE how connected most are with their clearly BELOVED horse! Does my heart GOOD, especially after watching videos and hearing so many sad tales of how 'unkindly'(to put it politely)so many (breed) show horses are treated in the name of 'winning'.

If this kind of programming appeals to you....enjoy!

Margo

WOW! I have dish and have always just gone past this channel, I'm also a judged trail ride judge, so maybe I'll take a look and learn something new. Got any times?

Someone that bought a mini mare from me over the summer had a horse in that America's Favorite Trail Horse show. How cool! Thanks for the head's up. I have Dish so I'm going to check it out.

I have always watched HRTV (and TVG too, for that matter) ... but one thing bothers me about America's Favourite Trail Horse - the lame commentary! Not enough time on the horses and far too time much with the folks sitting in their chairs chattering away - often not even talking about anything to do with the horses! That show could have been SO much better... but instead it wound up as a kind of cursory horse thing without a lot of "content", IMO.

Quite a variety of equine; so far, have seen QH, Paint/Pinto, Morgan, Mustang, Mules!, and several gaited breeds, such as Rocky Mt.,Tenn. Walker, Spotted Saddle Horse, Miss. Fox Trotter, and more.
That is the good part about it, Margot_C-T - many different horses - and mules! And yes, excellent riders and horsemanship...
default_yes.gif
... I just wish they had 3 less commentators (they have what - 5?) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if this channel is carried by DirectTV? And, if so, what channel?

I agree about the exremely lame commentary(by the two who appear to be sitting somewhere in a studio/at a desk??, and who honestly, say some of the dumbest things(sort of "we're being filmed, we have to say 'something' to fill the dead air..."), and that the shots of the 'group' who are judging? Just commenting?(mostly unintelligibly...!)are pretty much 'without merit'l..but IMO, MUCH of the commentary about sports events is both extraneous and overblown!(I'll admit, I am NOT a fan of the 'most beloved'TV sports!)

Also, this is clearly a fairly 'amateur' presentation, so a lack of sophistication about TV presentation should probably be expected.It could certainly be done better, but hey! it's better than a poke in the eye!!
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

As for times...I taped Episode 7 last Tues., 10/25, at 6 PM MDT; it was listed as "New".

Margo (Please, NO 't' at the end of my name!
default_saludando.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back