insuring your horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
Who do you insure your horses with? is everyone on your farm insured? How much do you pay? How young do you insure them? how do you determine the value to insure each horse? do you insure for medical and mortality? how good are your insurance companies in handling claims? thanks!!!

I would like to know too.

Do you insure them for mortality with a colic surgery rider?

We use a local insurer & insure our show horses only. Dollar amount differs as to what I feel the horse is worth to me and how much it would take to replace that horse. We use to insure our stallion until we got several of his foals on the ground...... Ours is insured for mortality & has an automatic colic coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have liability on my horses (a homeowners rider) as i board with my sister's minis. in the past when i have purchased expensive arabs i had full mortality on them until i got them paid off. in Wisconsin the medical insurance is expensive and i do not feel the coverage is worth it. IF i had a very valuable (more than sentimentally) mini i would reconsider, i am sure!

jennifer
saludando.gif

we use christine phillips at gencorp. they have been great to deal with. we always insure any horse we are buying on payments (learned that the hard way) and insure horses that are showing. We insure for either the price we paid for the horse or what it would cost to replace that horse. I was told you cannot insure a foal until it is weaned.

Ours is mortality and comes with a free colic rider.

I have insured only one horse - one of my stallions that I was making payments on. Now I do not insure any. I worked with Connaway & Associates, and they were great to deal with. I do not believe any insurance company will insure them if under 6 months of age or over the age of 15 (or maybe the rates are just a lot higher then???). Rates were around 2.9 or 3 percent of value per year, and this included (I believe) $3,000 for colic surgery.

The whole bit about insirong horses makes nervous. Just a year or so ago we had a professional rider one county over get arrested for breaking her Grand Prix contenders legs for the insurance.
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
So I hate the idea of insuring for mortality. Health insurance is another whole ballgame.

there will always be crooked people but that doesnt mean us honest ones shouldnt insure. I bought a beautiful tovero show filly from lowell boone my first year in minis. Made a down payment plus payments for 6 months. My highest purchase to date at that time. Unfortunately she died before she was paid for (still breaks my heart as i miss that horse so much) So along with the emotional duress i also had to deal with financial duress as i had to keep making payments on a horse that had passed on.

I have one insured, because of her bloodlines and because she's a show horse. I want to get several others insured, just haven't gotten around to it.

The cost was based on the value of the horse - which was based on the price you paid and any improvement (sorry - couldn't think of a better term) you have made, such as training, etc. and show performance.

It wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought, and it included colic/health insurance.

I'm pretty sure she's insured with Gencorp too, but we use Libby Johnson. She's just the agent in our area. Very friendly, easy to deal with and NOT PUSHY!!!!!

Latest posts

Back