Insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
Could someone give me some ideas on what insurance ya'll use when sending a horse to the trainer? Do you carry insurance? What is covered with the insurance and approximately how much it costs per month?

I want to send my stallion to a trainer and we're thinking about insurance, but have no idea where to start. All information is welcomed and appreciated.

Insurance is usually done in yearly increments. Some companies allow it to be broken down into two payments six months apart, others require the full yearly premium. Mortality is useless if you dont carry major medical, it won't pay out if you haven't done everything possible to first save the horse.

I have used connaway and associates and more recently Jarvis for my gypsy vanner. Unfortunately I did need to use the insurance for my gypsy vanner for an eye trauma incident. I have to say I have always liked Connaway and associate. But I LOVE Jarvis, no running here and there for faxes and such, everything was sent to the vets, returned and awaiting my receipts. I was reimbursed in less than a week and a half, I was amazed.

I highly recommend them!

Forgot to add that the insurance is always based on the value of the horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its usually annually. The mortality fee is based on the horse's insured value (usually around 3%) plus a fee for major medical, should you choose to add it ($200-400). My favorite insurance company was Traveler's. I used Independent Equine Insurance as my agent.

Had an $8000 major medical claim on it, went seamlessly. Paid out 4 or 5 times during the months the issue was ongoing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back