Insurance company wants fencer OUTSIDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimayhem

Reaction score
We switched insurance companies and when the underwriter came out he said he wanted our electric fencer outside the barn!! It's suppose to be placed inside but he really doesn't care. Any ideas on what to mount it in, to keep it out of the weather?? Do they even sell anything for this??

THanks

In the past we have used battery-pack fencers, and built them little "dog houses". Worked...
biggrin.gif

We have a fence charger out on the fence mounted inside a box.

Jan

I had an insurance agent come out and inspect our premesis for liability insurance. She was quite concerned that the carts didn't have safety belts on them. I wanted to hook up "killer" and let her drive but when she stood in an ant den and then did the "ant dance" I felt better.

new_shocked.gif

I would not doubt that a bit~! I had lightening stick the wire the electric wire and It was so powerful that it BLEW the Cover right off my fencer and across the Barn Floor~!!!! So that might be the reason fencers are dangers if stuck on the Line itself out in the field~!! And I had it grounded properly and the Line the 110 line had its own fuse in it~!! So it was a good fencer.. But a direct hit on the electric fence line and that electric charge came in to the Box and blew the cover off the fencer...I had no fire but sure could have been~!!
new_shocked.gif
Most farmers have the fencer on a outside out building like a A tractor storage building with NO sides on it but they Build a over hang so that water will not run directly on the fencer but for the most part these fencers are exposed to the weather with no problem what so ever~! Just with a little protection directly over the box that is all that is nessesary....
laugh.gif

minimayhem said:
We switched insurance companies and when the underwriter came out he said he wanted our electric fencer outside the barn!!  It's suppose to be placed inside but he really doesn't care.  Any ideas on what to mount it in, to keep it out of the weather??  Do they even sell anything for this??
Thanks

430097[/snapback]

Just shows how little underwriters know about what is going on. My farm insurance is with a local mutual company. They understand farms and farmers. These electric fencers are made to operate INDOORS. The only ones suitable for outdoor uses are the solar power ones and even they require some protection. Do not stick your fence in a box on the side of a fence post it will have a very shor life. Install them properly and ground them and they do not represent a hazard any more than an electric fan or light bulb. Your ground is important and not just a step in fence post. It should be six feet underground and the wire clamped securely to it.

Ours is in an out side shed but on a post that is very exposed to the weather. To protect it I took a big green Strongid C bucket turned it upside and down attacthed it to the post. Then I hung the box inside the bucket. It has been there for a few years.

We use a picnic cooler...we get the ones with the lid that flips from the center. We mounted ours to a wood post by screwing it thru the bottom...so it is laying on its side. then drilled a hole through the side that is now the bottom to get the wires out through. With the flip lid, you can check the fencer easily any time you need to, but it is completely shielded from the weather when you have the lid shut.

Teresa

Thanks for some great suggestions, I plan on putting it to good use this weekend, to get this underwriter off my back.

Oh and thanks for the laughs, picturing the 'ant dance' made my day!!
biggrin.gif

Mine is outside as well. MY aunts are to. They just built a wood box for it to be in. It opens in the front to unplug it , and its open at the bottom for the grounding and what not.

Ashley said:
Mine is outside as well.  MY aunts are to.  They just built a wood box for it to be in. It opens in the front to unplug it , and its open at the bottom for the grounding and what not.
430537[/snapback]

Speaking of grounding rods for electric fencers I go to my Local big hardware store in my case it is Menard's,, But home Depot and Lowe's would have the same item...I use the 1/2 inch copper rod which is 8 foot long and pound that into the ground that way I KNOW it is down deep enough and these rods which are the same ones used at your electrical boxes and at the electric poles etc. etc. are very inexpensive like under 6 bucks.. SO I us them ands clamp the fencer ground wire to that rod~!!!
biggrin.gif
A very good ground even in dry climates
aktion033.gif

We once had one tell us they wanted the fencer located TEN FEET from any buildings! And this was a local farm mutual underwriter! Don't know how they thought running an extension cord was going to be any safer..........
no.gif

Latest posts

Back