Insulin Resistance - Article in TheHorse.com

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
As many of you know, I also moderate the Yahoo Cushings/Insulin Resistance forum. I see a lot of questions on our forum regarding Insulin Resistance (IR) - TheHorse.com just released an easy-to-read article that I thought was very informative. Thought you might enjoy seeing it (for those who do not subscribe to TheHorse.com. Article is written by Katy Watts, who is a leading expert in IR and horses.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12588

Liz R.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that article.

Emma

Thank you so much but now I am even more confused!!! According to this article, my mare is not IR because her insulin at 9.7 ulU/ml is within the normal range of 5-20 for the lab where she was tested. But her G:I ratio of 7 put her in the compensated IR range according to a calculator on the Equine Cushings site. Now, I certainly agree that a low carb diet isn't going to hurt her, except I am trying to put weight over her topline for showing in halter. It seems like an uphill battle.

9.7 ulU/ml is within the normal range of 5-20 for the lab where she was tested.
Unfortunately different labs have different ranges. I have found BET Labs to be the most reliable.

Liz R.

I tell ya this IR stuff is amazing. I went to Insulin Resistance Clinic here in town a couple months ago that was held by Purina Mills. Very informative. Its amazing how this testing reveals whether or not a horse is a IR horse or a Cushings Horse. Its great I deal with a Cushings horse on a daily basis but since the clinic we are on a waiting list to have her tested for IR. For all of you who are just curious on what to feed. Purina has a come out with Purina Wellsolve L/S which is a Low Starch diet. My landlord uses and its awesome. Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth.

Latest posts

Back