Ink Spots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
It is commonly reported that a pinto having inkspots or paw prints is often a sign of being homozygous. Imagine how thrilled when I got this baby last year!

nash007017.jpg

Being from a LOUD marked son of NFCs Fire and Ice and out of a minimally marked pinto mare. I felt certain she was homozygous. I sent in a hair sample to Animal Genetics last week and got the results yesterday. Heterozygous for Tobiano. Bummer.
sad.gif
I still think she is beautiful though, homozygous or not. Here she is as a yearling. Pardon the color. I don't know if it is just my computer or my scanner, but she is actually a bright red Sorrel.

nash003002.jpg

She is very pretty. I have one with lots of ink spots also, was wondering about her.

She looks like a keeper anyway......

Billy G said:
She is very pretty. I have one with lots of ink spots also, was wondering about her.
She looks like a keeper anyway......

425059[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment. Actually, she is for sale. I have too many nice ones and can't keep them all. I'll probably have to come down on her price since she's not homozygous.

She is a very pretty mare, even if she is not homozygous!!

We also have a mare who has a few of those ink spots and her dam is homozygous, so we have wondered about her too. Should have her tested to see.

I've had the same thing happen, Freeland! I tested Flashy's full sister this year because she has inkspots on her back and she came back negative!
sad.gif
That same cross has produced homozygous offspring before. I've considered testing Socksy again with a different lab and see if the results are the same or different.

Hi

I was wondering what lab you sent it in to. We have a mare we want to test. She

has given us 4 pinto's. Sire to all 4 is a loud Leopard Appaloosa. Or at least we

think the foals are pintos. They have a lot of frosting. We want to test the mare

so which Lab is better for it.

On the babies above, they look so close in markings. Both are very pretty.

Vicky

Vicky Texas said:
HiI was wondering what lab you sent it in to. We have a mare we want to test. She

has given us 4 pinto's. Sire to all 4 is a loud Leopard Appaloosa. Or at least we

think the foals are pintos. They have a lot of frosting. We want to test the mare

so which Lab is better for it.

On the babies above, they look so close in markings. Both are very pretty.

Vicky

425786[/snapback]

Vicky, they are the same horse. First shot shortly after she was born and second as a yearling. Sorry I didn't make that plain.

I used Animal Genetics in Florida. They were very fast. I got my results within a week. I don't know which is best. This is the first I have ever sent in.

Latest posts

Back