Injured Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old stallion who has never shown any stifle problems before, in fact he's never had any health problems for that matter (knock on wood), and I've owned him since two months of age but I am starting to wonder about him now. This morning I went out to feed and all was well.....this evening I called everyone in and he came trotting in from the pasture as usual but when he went into a canter he was only running with THREE legs, he was holding his left hind leg up as if he couldn't use it.

I put his halter on and lead him around, everything is fine at the walk and trot but when he canters and gallops he holds it up. No signs of soreness or injury (limping, favoring, etc.) until he gets into third gear? I checked his hoof and there isn't any heat, soreness or anything stuck in there and he lets me touch all of that leg just fine until you get into the hip area and then he wants to move, but isn't aggressive about it and I can poke/prod and he doesn't flinch?

I put him in his stall which is 10x10 and I am going to give him plenty of stall rest, and if he's not better by Monday he will be going to the vet. Nothing seems to be broken but is it possible it is a muscle injury and it's just tender when he gets into a faster pace?

He's eating and drinking fine, and is more interested in the ladies than he is his leg which I am thinking is a good sign?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated, as is prayers that it's nothing serious.

UPDATE:

Okay just went out to check on him and he is SERIOUSLY swollen in his stifle area and is now favoring that leg while he is standing still, as in he won't apply pressure. I'm assuming that this was a fresh injury that happened right before feeding time as there was no swelling earlier.

He is pastured with the same two mares he is always pastured with for the past 4 years but it is possible that he could have gotten kicked. He is walking fine, eating, peeing, pooping, drinking and finished all his grain but he is definately not wanting me to touch the area. The swollen area is about the size of a grapefruit and is prominent.

I thought about rinsing the area with cold water but it's night and I don't want him to be wet at night?

I will be keeping an eye on him through the night....

UPDATE:

Okay just went out to check on him and he is SERIOUSLY swollen in his stifle area and is now favoring that leg while he is standing still, as in he won't apply pressure. I'm assuming that this was a fresh injury that happened right before feeding time as there was no swelling earlier.

He is pastured with the same two mares he is always pastured with for the past 4 years but it is possible that he could have gotten kicked. He is walking fine, eating, peeing, pooping, drinking and finished all his grain but he is definately not wanting me to touch the area. The swollen area is about the size of a grapefruit and is prominent.

I thought about rinsing the area with cold water but it's night and I don't want him to be wet at night?

I will be keeping an eye on him through the night....
If you have it, a big bag of frozen peas will work like an ice pack and form to the area (loosen them up a little first, since they usually clump in the bag). Just wrap (the whole bag) in a light towel, and apply gently to the swelling for 10-15 minutes or a little longer, if he'll stand for it. cold will work best now rather than later.

Anything with the stifle we usually blister on the racehorses. But, they are also a lot tougher than the minis. You could try blue lotion and dmso and put it on the stifle and put a blanket over his bum and let him stand for 20 min. It may relieve some of the pain. It's like horsey bengay.

Oh and Obviously I am no vet and I would consult your veterinarian before you do anything but, this is what we always do. Cricket stifle was slipping a bit and she was tender and sore so I had a masseuse come over and work on her which she does weekly anyways and I also gave her a dmso-blue lotion sauna and the next day off. By the following day it was like a drastic improvement.

This sounds more like an injury from a kick than a ligament needing blistering. As sore as he is it would be cruel to try an old remedy like that. Icing, cold water on and off until a vet sees it or it improves on its own would seem the best option.

I agree Ruby, cold hose or frozen peas whilst waiting for the vet. Dr Taylor mentioned an absess so perhaps you could ask your vet about that? Good luck and keep us updated.

Vet confirmed that it is a muscle injury. He told me to give him MSM twice per day and to apply a muscle relaxing linement which he gave me three times per day.

Thank you all for your help! My lil man appreciates it!

I was going to say it sounds like an injury rather than a 'stifle issue' but am glad to hear he will be healing up ok. He may have even been running and showing off and slipped and fell or something. Hope he has a quick recovery, poor guy!

I just wanted to let everyone know that he is 100% better now thanks to plenty of stall rest, muscle relaxing linement & MSM supplement.

Thanks to all my friends for their prayers!

Latest posts

Back