Information on horses in this pedigree?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoot

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm getting ready to sign the contract and send in the deposit for the first miniature horse that I will officially own. Been working on a website for him in my free time and was curious if anyone can help me out with his pedigree? I am looking for heights, colors, birthdays, photos, show records, notable progeny, and just general information. Also if anyone sees something that they know is wrong please let me know! Can't wait to bring him home.

http://attitudeofama...n/pedigree.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know his dam is silver buckskin and not just buckskin. A couple years ago i was interested in a maternal brother to your boy sired by Buck Echo and he was listed as champagne but was really a smokey silver black and that silver came from the dam (saw a picture of her and she was a very creamy buckskin with "softer" dark points than a plain buckskin would have). I think you should be able to google many of the names to get a lot of the info you're looking for.

Yes I have been using Google to find all of the information I have so far! And great to know about his dam. I was trying to figure out his color and the closest I could find was Smokey Silver Black. Was it Windfyres Buck Macguyvers Echo that you were looking at? I'm still thinking there might be another modifier at work with that one... unless DNA testing proved otherwise... his color is just so unusual looking.

Yes I have been using Google to find all of the information I have so far! And great to know about his dam. I was trying to figure out his color and the closest I could find was Smokey Silver Black. Was it Windfyres Buck Macguyvers Echo that you were looking at? I'm still thinking there might be another modifier at work with that one... unless DNA testing proved otherwise... his color is just so unusual looking.
Well...he's not chestnut like he's listed on your website!

He looks very much like a Silver Smokey Black to me. I own one (an appaloosa..) and I could imagine my boy being the same shade as your boy if he didn't have the varnishing in his fur. There are many different shades of it as well. There are a couple breeders on here (one across the pond) that have stallions with the same color.

You are all AWESOME! Thank you so much.

Definitely interested in pictures! I'm ready whenever you are
default_smile.png

Was it Windfyres Buck Macguyvers Echo that you were looking at? I'm still thinking there might be another modifier at work with that one... unless DNA testing proved otherwise... his color is just so unusual looking.
Yes, that's the one! No, there is nothing else at work there. I received a video and bunch of pasture pictures and he is definitely smokey silver black. There is no champagne, dun, or any other modifier, smokey silver blacks can just have that strange hue at times, though his pro picture shows a bit different color than his pasture pictures showed (probably due to close clipping).

You know, I never thought about how clipping could change his appearance. The light eyes still have me stumped... Maverick has normal eyes and is still much darker than him. I will get Maverick DNA'd eventually
default_smile.png

Light eyes are perfectly normal when silver and cream are combined.

This pedigree has some great examples of incorrect colors listed on papers. Of course the most obvious is Buckeroo, a buckskin, so that is correct, but you can't get buckskin by crossing chestnut (Poplar Lanes Sampson) and palomino. Those are both red based colors and buckskin is black based, so the chestnut cannot be correct.

I also see a couple of grays in the pedigree but don't see where they came from. A gray must have at least one gray parent. I bet there are other examples, too, but some might not be so obvious. Some nice horses in his pedigree.

This pedigree has some great examples of incorrect colors listed on papers. Of course the most obvious is Buckeroo, a buckskin, so that is correct, but you can't get buckskin by crossing chestnut (Poplar Lanes Sampson) and palomino. Those are both red based colors and buckskin is black based, so the chestnut cannot be correct.

I also see a couple of grays in the pedigree but don't see where they came from. A gray must have at least one gray parent. I bet there are other examples, too, but some might not be so obvious. Some nice horses in his pedigree.
I would think the "chestnut " is actually a silver bay which would make more sense and how do we know those "greys" are not silver ?

Is there a cost to update the color on the papers once a DNA test has been completed? It annoys me that he is listed as cremello... I will have to ask the why of that one...

I bought a filly that was registered amha as a cremello. Her dam was a sorrel pinto, sire was a buckskin pinto. She looked white but did not have blue eyes. I contacted original owner because I knew she couldnt be a cremello with a sorrel dam (who I saw and yes was a dark sorrel pinto). Original owner says at birth she looked like a palomino pinto, they clipped her and she was white, she asked amha to pick color and they put cremello...
default_thud.gif

When I transfered her into my name they corrected her to palomino and I dont remember them charging me anything. I did check the work order form and did not see it listed either.

Interesting!

Does anyone know why Komokos Northern Dancer is listed as unregistered by AMHA, but I've found records stating he is out of Komokos Ladybugs Delight and by Komokos Whiskey Sour? I don't want to include them on the pedigree if it is indeed wrong...

Yes, you can definitely change the color on his registration papers. Personally, I would never list a horse as appaloosa or grey that was not tested and did not have any characteristics just on the off chance that they might be. Some of those solid appaloosas may have hidden PATN genes, yes, but even out of two leopard appaloosas there is no guarantee and they'd still have to be bred to an LP carrying horse to produce anything appaloosa. So I never list a horse as a color or pattern that they are not until I know for sure that they are. Would rather spend the money to have it changed later. When I sell a horse that may "appy out" later, then I let the new buyers know and if people are really concerned about it, maybe offer to pay for the color change yourself. To me, listing a horse as something they might have is exactly the same as listing a silver black as a cremello or palomino.

But those that have characteristics are appaloosa, just do not have any PATN genes so technically are not solid. I have actually never tested any of mine for LP except my few spot stallion and that was only because I had a lot of people concerned that he was grey (despite the 4 large black spots that he retained). What I meant was that I would not list a solid appaloosa bred horse as appaloosa unless it had characteristics or was tested. Since you've never had one born without characteristics though, all of this is moot, yes
default_smile.png

I have been able to click the links and get the information...

Sent! But now I can't get into the links. Haha, not a big deal!

Also, Maverick's breeder said they already did DNA and he is a solid cream! So does that mean he would be a smokey silver black as we had guessed?

Latest posts

Back