Info. wanted about shipping dogs/puppies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
We haven't ever shipped any dogs/puppies before so I was wondering how those of you who have done it before went about doing it? What were the costs? Whats the best way to ship them?

Any info. greatly appreciated, thanks!

I usually ship mine with Delta Pets First or occasionally Continental. I've been pretty happy with both. I've used them to ship puppies as well as adult show dogs. For an ~10-15lb American Pit Bull Terrier pup it has run around $150 - $270. Adults have been $250 - $400. Yes, there can be a huge variance in the costs for some reason
default_wacko.png

You can call Delta Pet Shipping at 1-888-SEND PET

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...tions/index.jsp

You will need an airline approved crate with two attached bowls and a health certificate signed by a vet within 10 days of the shipping date.

Keep in mind there are usually both cold weather and heat embargos which can make scheduling difficult. Some of these are breed-specific. If you call they can talk you through it

Good luck!

I just shipped an 8 lb puppy (Goldendoodle) in an 19inch high crate with Delta last week and it was 242.00 two weeks ago it was higher because of fuel charges, so it can vary in price from day to day. Make sure you take the time to acclimate the puppy to his/hecrate so its not such a huge shock. Also heavily line the bottom of the crate with packing paper. I also shred some and it lay it on top so they have something to mess with. I ship my puppies with a "snuggle puppy" a specially designed stuffed dog that as a heating pouch and an electronic heartbeat so they feel like they are traveling with a littermate. Try and book a one way flight or an early flight so they dont miss any connections and get stuck in a kennel overnite!

Hopefully RIVERDANCE will chime in, she was very helpful to me when I started shipping and when I had some issues!!

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have the buyer check on purchasing a roundtrip plane ticket themselves and if the puppy is small enough could take it back home on the return flight in a small crate that goes under the seat. Flight prices have dropped dramatically and the surcharge to carry a puppy home is usually only around $50 and the puppy is in contact with it's new owner the whole time. Several of my puppy buyers have done this and the prices have been pretty close to shipping a puppy by itself.

I have also used Delta Pets First and Continental but have also had people buy a round trip ticket and put the puppy under the seat. That is only about 50 dollars more than the persons ticket and sometimes that is cheaper. Costs for shipping vary on the size of the kennel you are sending the dog in . For little dogs like ours it runs about 220 plus you need a health certificate within 10 days. Also shipping when it is below 40 or above 85 at all stops along the way is not possible.

I prefer that people pick the puppy up because then you know where it is all the time.

Of the airlines I guess we have used Delta the most.

Lyn

I have shipped before and total cost is normally between $275 and $350 for a small pup.

I have had no problems doing it and have shipped both nationally and internationally.

That said I don't think it is ideal to ship a young pup and definately a very stressful experience.

A good friend of mine now only ground ships and she has found a great company that brings your pup door

to door. The cost is about $50 more than regular shipping and much more pleasant.

Now that I know about it I think I would always opt for ground shipping, with a reputable company of course.

recently I have found it cheaper to book a flight and carry the dog in cabin. When I picked up Nimbus from BC I flew to Seattle and back for under 200. It would have cost about 275 total to fly her to me. As long as its a small dog or pup that can fit under the seat it may be cheaper to purchase a ticket and fly the pup carryon.

I also know folks who have used the ground service and really liked it. I think with bigger dogs it may be the best option. I used to not mind flying dogs by themselves but we can no longer get direct flights so I only will do it as a last resort.

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone else or not, but when I had 2 puppies shipped to me about 4 years ago they lost them!!! The were being shipped from back east to the Sacramento airport in California. It was winter so it was hard to get a day where the tempratures were right at all of the stops. I was at the airport when the plane arrived and went to pick them up and they said what puppies! We didn't have any puppies on this flight. It was getting dark and cold! They couldn't contact the other airports because that department was closed??!!! They said another flight would be coming in at 2am from salt Lake City and I could wait and see if they were on that flight. They did arrive on that next flight, but must have set outside in the freezing cold for 6 hours! They were okay, but one did develop a bad sore throat and had to be treated. I was lucky they were from a cold climate and they were shelties and furry. They had to be shipped in separate crates for some reason. I don't remember why. It was not delta. I don't remember which airline it was.

Hi,

I have used Delta before and have had great service with them but with it getting cold, it get's hard to ship that way, so I have went to U-ship.com and have looked up pet shippers and have had a couple of smalll pet transporters that have worked out well. I have shipped several dogs using this method, even our 2 pot belly piglets was brought to us using them. It's a great option, they are with people and not left alone in the belly of a huge plane. I will use them again if the need arises. Just check the people out that bid on your trip, to make sure you would be comfortable with them. It's a great alternative to flying. It's just like transporting a horse but on a smaller scale. The people that I used kept in touch with me every step of the way. Good luck, Kim

Here's their link.... http://www.uship.com/dogs/

Three years ago I got my pup from WI to TX via Delta, and everything went fine. HOWEVER, my best friend is a pilot, and she says there is no way she will ever fly her dogs anywhere, unless they are with her. After her stories, I would go for the ground shipping. I do know people who have done that and been very sastisfied.

We had a pup shipped to us in Kentucky from Iowa a couple of years ago on Delta. She was treated really well. We had been told the wrong place to pick her up, when we weren't there they called us and told us where to come. When we got there the lady was talking to her and petting her through the cage. She had a bottle of water and had given her water already. She had a good experience.

Latest posts

Back