Info about photos for Journal ads

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I have the prices for ads in the Journal but does anyone know the information about putting photos in the ads? Do you send in just a 5x7 photo and they crop it to fit the ad or can you submit the ad with the photos in it already as in a pdf. or some other format? My son can make up the ad with the wording and the photos but I don't know how to submit it.

Or does someone at the Journal just put it together they way they want?
default_unsure.png

If I were you I'd call Molly at ASPC/AMHR, perhaps she can answer your questions. Or call Amy, who is the editor. I have Amy's # if you need it.

I have the prices for ads in the Journal but does anyone know the information about putting photos in the ads? Do you send in just a 5x7 photo and they crop it to fit the ad or can you submit the ad with the photos in it already as in a pdf. or some other format? My son can make up the ad with the wording and the photos but I don't know how to submit it.Or does someone at the Journal just put it together they way they want?
default_unsure.png
For the ASPC/AMHR Journal...

If you have pricing info, you should see ad prices and price for other things like typesetting listed separately. Ads can be provided print ready for an individual or from an outside designer anytime ... so long as said ad meets The Journal's technical requirements and is in a format we accept. So, if you have the means to provide a technically useable ad, certainly you are welcome to do that. In that case, you pay only the ad price. If you don't have the ability to provide a technically acceptable ad, then you can supply the text and the photos, and The Journal will be happy to put an ad together for you. In that situation you pay the ad price plus other things that might apply like typesetting, extra photos, material return, etc. The ability to make suggestions exists as does your right to request a proof. Original photos are MUCH preferred and get better results. Photos are returned in the couple of months following the mailing of an issue. If you provide an SASE, there are no charges for returning materials.

For an ad to be considered technically ready, it must be provided set to the right size and right resolution. Image size is outlined in some of the issues that have the "media kit" ... ie, advertising info ... printed near the back. Due to space constraints, that kit isn't always included but you can request that info from Journal staff.

Ads MUST be PREPARED at 300 dpi. Anything lower is not useable.

Finished ready ads can be submitted electronically as one of the following:

--Art file: jpeg, tif or pdf --- can be submitted via e-mail or on CD

(remember: MUST be set to right physical size & resolution)

(Also, tif files and some color files are going to be too big to go via e-mail)

--Native Quark or Photo Shop files ... BUT you must also provide all graphics, fonts, etc., when you provide a native software file. Therefore, this type of ad cannot be submitted via e-mail and must come in on CD or DVD.

We no longer consider print outs from someone's home computer "ready" for color ads or for black & white ads that include a photo. Camera-ready copy can be used for text-only black & white ads or for b&w ads that only contain simple line art.

If you provide your own finished ad, be sure it is the right size & resolution. Additionally, make sure credit is appropriately given if a professional photo is used. Most major horse show photographers are okay with reproduction in known industry publications as long as their signature is visible. If it is not, you must ad a "photo by" line. Reproduction policies for some newer and/or smaller equine photographers ... especially those coming from a commercial background ... can vary. Check with them for reproduction rights if you have questions.

One more thing ..... many years ago, the ASPC/AMHR national board put in a requirement that reg. #s appear in ads. If that doesn't work w/ the design, you may add a line that says something like "ASPC registered, reg. #s on file". Then, you simply provide a list of the horse's names & numbers appearing in the ad when you submit the ad. Due to time constraints, there is a fee if staff has to look them up.

The primary reason for this requirement is The Journal's leniency in allowing advertisers to promote successes in other registries. We don't limit you on that ... as long as you show the animal is registered with one of the ASPC's registries .. ASPC, AMHR, ASPR or NSPR.

If you have additional questions, you may contact Molly Knapp at 309-263-9304. She should also be able to provide you the kit if you don't have an issue that includes it.

The deadline for the Dec/Jan issue that will feature coverage of the AMHR Nationals will be Oct. 15. This issue then mails at the 15th WORKING DAY of the first month of the two-month spread.

AHR

Latest posts

Back