Indian Hills HDT in IL (aug)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckmini

Reaction score
I realize this is a ways off but is anyone going to the Indian Hills HDT Aug 18th? I'd like to show in it, but I'm not sure if my shetland will be ready. Anyone going that I could tag along with and learn from?

I am hoping to, although not 100% sure at this point. I will have my VSE in prelim and my small pony in training and you are more than welcome to tag along. I will also be at HIckory Knoll CDE in WI middle of July and Skunk River HDT in Ames, IA end of June.

Thanks Donna, I will look you up there!
I have an AMHR show during hickory knoll (which sucks since this is so close to me!) and I may try to make it to Ames for the Skunk River HDT and I will for sure look you up if I do!

I know wire wheels are pretty frowned upon even in training level, but if I were to enter just the combined test with a jerald roadster-style jog cart would it be worth it for the experience for the pony (he will show in the small pony division)? Or should I just wait another year until I can get him a more suitable cart? Just looking for opinions, maybe I'm too worried about it and should just show and have fun!

I don't think wire wheels will be an issue at training level, especially at Indian Hills. Indians hills is an HDT and has a pretty tamed down marathon from what I was told and very beginner friendly. The main issue with the wire wheels is that they will not hold up to alot of hard, sharp turns, but in training level you shouldn't be going that hard anyways. For the most part in training level you should be thinking smooth and fluid, not run like a bat out of heck with sand flying on the turns. In the marathon you aren't even timed in the hazards themselves, just overall time from start to finish and it is a pretty easy time to make. I would definitely enter at Indian Hills just to get your feet wet, as long as your pony can walk, trot and stop you will be fine. Just think forward and smooth and think of it as a training sessions instead of a show.

Latest posts

Back