In anticipation of a premature foal...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendi leigh

Reaction score
My mare aborted last year at 260 days. With the help of antibiotics and Regumate, I am cautiously optimistic that she may hold on long enough this year to have viability. We are at 275 days now. I have frozen colostrom in the freezer but it is 2 years old so I'm assuming it shouldn't be used. Any thoughts on this??? I also have the IgG Serum bottle in the fridge and a bag of milk replacer on the shelf. The heat lamp is hanging waiting to be plugged in if needed and there is a brand new heating pad still in the box. What else should I have ready assuming the foal is alive, the mare has no milk, and its the middle of the night when she foals?

Sounds like you are prepared, I think the frozen clostrum is only good for a year in the freezer, but I am not sure on that.....I would say have your vet aware, and his number on speed dial.....and blankets ready to blanket the foal as well. I am sure there are others with more experience.

I have posted this many times but I think its worth posting again. cut off the large end of a small water bottle. Wrap with tape so the edge is not sharp. Keep this in your foaling kit if you need to get a foal breathing. This is much more effective then mouth to mouth as the air is forced into the lungs better. Blow into the part you normally drink out of. My friend ginia gave me that tip a couple years ago and it works like a charm!

Latest posts

Back