in addition to other color thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I also have a question on the fun subject of genetics and color...

If my mares Dam is POSITIVE for the LWO and her SIRE is NEGATIVE...idoes she have a 50/50 chance of carrying LWO?

My stallion, who is black & white(who I AM testing for LWO) did throw 2 grullos...does this mean he carries the DUN factor....which if I read correctly only takes one gene (its dominate?)to produce a dun? Or is it a cream gene? ..no wait...cream would produce a smokey black....aaarrrgggg....Gosh I get confused.....which doesn't always take a lot
default_unsure.png
...trying to figure out what else I should test him for....

thanks for any ideas/input

I also have a question on the fun subject of genetics and color...

If my mares Dam is POSITIVE for the LWO and her SIRE is NEGATIVE...idoes she have a 50/50 chance of carrying LWO?
Yep, that's right!

As to the stud, creme and dun are controlled by completely different genes. If it helps, look at the way they are denoted in discussions on color genetics. Different forms of the same gene are given the same letter. For example, A denotes agouti (black only on the points,) a means non-agouti (black everywhere.) Creme is a C-series gene (Ccr) while Dun is in the D-series. A horse can carry both the creme gene and the dun factor.

Aren't genetics fun?

Yes your mare has a 50/50 chance of carring lwo. It would be best to test her before breeding of she has any phenotypical signs of lwo or is a Rowdy descendent.

I would just add that I would test that particular mare for LWO anyway, whatever she looks like and whether she is descended from Rowdy or not, just based on the fact her dam is LWO+. Of course, if you never plan to breed her, or if all your stallions are LWO negative, you don't need to.

soooooooo...if stallion has a possible smokey black spot along with his true black spots..there is a chance he could carry the cream gene too....???? Or is that just the 'dun' showing itself..? he has not been clipped...this is his natural shed out color..

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

and here is the mare (right before she foaled)

IMG_0973.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, she does! Have her tested.

My stallion, who is black & white(who I AM testing for LWO) did throw 2 grullos...does this mean he carries the DUN factor

If the mares he was bred to do NOT carry dun, then he ISN'T black- he is grulla. Because you can't see his dorsal or his upper leg color because of all the white, it's hard to tell with him. His flank color DOES remind me of grulla- looks like my grulla mare's. You might want to test him for dun, too.

Lucy

ok..went to the genetics site and there is no test for DUN.....so it is testing for the CREAM DILUTION...aaaarrrrgg
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
that I want..right?

There is a test for Dun, it is new but it is available.

Cream and Dun are completely different, they are both referred to as "dilutes" but they are not related in any way.

Both your stallion and mare are carrying Splash White and Tobiano, just from looking at them, but I would definitely test both for LWO before breeding.

Cream and Dun are completely different, they are both referred to as "dilutes" but they are not related in any way.

Both your stallion and mare are carrying Splash White and Tobiano, just from looking at them, but I would definitely test both for LWO before breeding.

you don't have to tell me twice...although the outcome was not a LWO foal..it definetly opened my eyes ..100% and I will NOT, i repeat...ever want to take such a possible chance.....ever never..
default_no.gif

thank you all for such good advice....where do you get the DUN tested i???

Jane -- who does the dun test now? My 2008 buckskin filly is "looking" dun. The sire is not dun. The mare may be which would be awesome -- she is my perlino pinto with the only pinto color being on her head so I'd never be able to tell by looking -- but her sire has thrown many duns. Her/my 2008 filly has a dark dorsal but it lightens as it goes over her back. She has stripes behind her knees, but I'm not totally sure that's not a conspiracy between her foal fuzz and adult color to confuse me
default_biggrin.png

Jane -- who does the dun test now? My 2008 buckskin filly is "looking" dun. The sire is not dun. The mare may be which would be awesome -- she is my perlino pinto with the only pinto color being on her head so I'd never be able to tell by looking -- but her sire has thrown many duns. Her/my 2008 filly has a dark dorsal but it lightens as it goes over her back. She has stripes behind her knees, but I'm not totally sure that's not a conspiracy between her foal fuzz and adult color to confuse me
default_biggrin.png
UC Davis does the Dun test, but as I understand it, you have to send samples from the dam and sire as well as the horse you want tested. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Latest posts

Back