In a scary, scary trailer accident this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annabellarose said:
How are the two of you doing? Any word on your truck, your trailer? I hope everything is well and I hope that the damage and the dollars were not too bad.
The word isn't good so far. To my dismay the insurance company totalled the truck so my dad and I went and cleaned it out and said goodbye yesterday. I was really upset because I honestly wasn't expecting it but upon another viewing there was more body damage then we though although the engine and transmission and such were fine and it was probably fixable. The insurance company is investigating our trailer coverage and we should know more on that by the end of the week but the trailer itself has not been evaluated yet so I don't know if it's scrap, fixable-but-currently-unsafe, or ugly-but-driveable. At least they are saying they'll pay for the towing on the trailer so I can put that $400 towards my parents' $500 insurance deductible by way of apology.
default_sad.png

TrailersOutWest/MinisOutWest said:
I personally was in an incident on ice and I was shook up pretty bad like you. That was 7 yrs ago and even still today, I have flash backs in certains situations. But hang in there, it takes a lot of time to get thru it. But please go out and kiss your trailer, it saved your life, your horses life and the people driving around you too.
I have to admit that I'm okay driving as long as I go on autopilot. If I start thinking about it I get twitchy and sometimes when I'm lying there in bed I run through the first moments of the accident then all of a sudden my gut is reliving that awful whipping sensation and I get shaky. Guess it's hitting me more than I thought!
default_rolleyes.gif
I have sincerely thanked the trailer for protecting my horse but at the moment my focus is on the poor truck since we KNOW it's dead.
default_no.gif
I spent a few minutes alone in the cab apologizing to my old friend and thanking it for taking such good care of me and felt a little better afterwards.

If the poor trailer isn't salvageable I may have to look into a cargo trailer, safe or not. I can't remotely afford a new horse trailer on my own and can't ask my parents to pay for it when they don't even have horses anymore. It's that or stay home forever.
default_no.gif

I'll keep you all up to date. Thanks for all the good wishes, please know I read every word.
default_wub.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very sorry for your accident and very glad that you and your horse are ok. BUT PLEASE chase those thoughts of using a cargo trailer to haul your horse out of your head. Your bumper pull had two axles. The majority of the cargo trailers out there have one. Have the exact same accident with a cargo trailer and your horse may not be ok. Cargo trailers are for hauling cargo, not living, breathing, MOVING animals. They are not safe, are much more likely to sway, flip over, and otherwise loose control. Yes, I see people all the time haul minis with single axle trailers but it's not safe or smart. Be smart.

The feelings you have now after the accident would be much worse if you took the cheaper route next time. Horse related trailer accidents that result in injury or death are not something you get over.

I bet you can find a stock trailer that you can at least afford payments on.

Let's hope your trailer is fixable !

I would not buy a single axle trailer, period. Never. The rest is going to require a lot of research on what's available for the $$ as I really, truly can't afford more than maybe $50 a month right now without giving up my shows. And if I'm not showing, I don't need a trailer anyway.
default_rolleyes.gif

JourneysEnd said:
Devoutly!! We don't want a gooseneck, I hate stock trailers (they're like bloody sieves in this damp climate), and some used trailers are worse than the worst cargo trailer because they haven't received proper care. Yuck!! I want mine back.
default_517.gif

Leia

I would not buy a single axle trailer, period. Never.

JourneysEnd said:
Devoutly!! We don't want a gooseneck, I hate stock trailers (they're like bloody sieves in this damp climate), and some used trailers are worse than the worst cargo trailer because they haven't received proper care. Yuck!! I want mine back.
default_517.gif

Leia

Actually have you ever pulled a gooseneck? I at one time was a devote BP hauler, but once you go GN, you never go back!
default_wink.png
They are easier to back up to alone, easier to pull (once you learn to take wide turns), SAFER, easier to back up, and have a higher resale value. Just a thought.

txminipinto said:
Actually have you ever pulled a gooseneck? I at one time was a devote BP hauler, but once you go GN, you never go back!
default_wink.png
They are easier to back up to alone, easier to pull (once you learn to take wide turns), SAFER, easier to back up, and have a higher resale value. Just a thought.
default_laugh.png
Let me rephrase: My parents do not want a gooseneck and as it's their truck, I don't get a lot of say in the matter!
default_wink.png
Besides, I think I'm stuck with BP anyway because when I move out the truck does not come with me so I'll probably be hauling with a used van of some kind.

Bah. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself so let's hold off on the trailer discussions for now. I promise I'll make a separate thread when we find out about that; you know I wouldn't make a big decision on anything mini-related without polling the LB experts!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Leia,

Regarding your truck,

Ask your insurance company to reconsider totalling it. Insurance companies tend to come oui better if they total the vehicle and then sell it, whereas you may come our better if they fix it. Obviously it's a different story if the frame is bent or if there is another serious safety issue, but it doesn't have to be serious for them to decide to total it.

When we were in a fairly minor collision with our then six-year-old Windstar, the insurance company automatically totalled it. We asked them to reconsider, and they decided to fix it. Circumstances obviously will vary, but totalling isn't always in YOUR best interest.

Many of the Cargo haulers are two axel and some have really nice suspension to boot. There was a low deck Snowmoble hauler I was looking at awhile back, double axel,brakes, suspension,6' tall, low deck ramp with assist, framed like the horse trailers..would be pretty easy to make it safe for mini's. Could weld tie rings in, add vents and horse safety windows and set it up with mini sized slant stalls. Front area.. big enough to do a walk through and or set up for a Cart like mine. Weight...well under what my mini Van can haul by over half.

Not all Cargo haulers are created equal.

Is funny about insurance companies. I was rear ended by a speeding older teen on the country road in front of our old house a long while ago.. I was hit really hard. Torked the whole frame out of alingment, along with the back hatch punched in..and this is on a 93 Camry wagon which is built like a tank because to the rear facing seats. So they towed the Camry into the yard.. they told the insurance the whole frame was trashed and would not be safe, nor could it be fixed,, with the skin/panels of the car very skewed...along with other major issues. The insurance company said it could be fixed,,,even though the shop they sent it to said other wise. Found out because of the insurance I had.. they would have to buy us the same car new..not that you could find a Camry wagon new even then but something at least in its class. So it was cheaper for them to have the shop do the best they could and have us drive in an unsafe car. Sigh~~ We ened up trading it in for a motorcycle Robert wanted and we were very clear on what happened to car. Sold it to a Body work guy, who liked challenges but we took a big..big loss on what it was worth at the time.

Leia... if you can.. take the truck to a body shop, one not used by the insurance company and have them do a check over including the frame of the Truck. This will tell you wither the Truck is safe to drive or not. Only cost us $300.00 for the whole going over....so it might be worth while.

When my brother totaled my father's small truck I was given the option of buying it from the insurance company for a couple hundred dollars. Engine was fine, no structural damage; just an old, reallly low mileage truck with body damage. For about $350 the tin was replaced, cheap (too cheap) paint and I had a truck that was great for years. Just a thought. I hope all goes better with the trailer.

The truck has already been hauled off to Seattle by the parts dealer. I tentatively suggested the same things you guys did but Dad didn't want to mess with it and, ultimately, it's his decision. End of story.

Silver Lining: the new truck will probably have electric windows and locks! Woohoo!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Thank God you and dear Kody are okay. I can imagine the bruises and bumps you both have right now.

I think the trailer looks pretty fixable, it will never look as pretty as it did, but as long as the frame is good, who cares about a dent or two, eh?

Since first reading this post the other day, I have been talking to my insurer, and it really is pretty cheap to insure for collision and comprehensive...so mine will definately be insured next spring. Thanks for that!!

I second the wow and am very glad that you and Kody are ok!

Bb

Leia, since our computer bit it I dont get on as often as Id like but the first thing I read is that you have been in a bad accedent! Im so sorry for you and Kody. by now you are both probably real sore. Im glad you had someone looking over you both. as a parent Im shure your Mom and Dad arent as upset at the truck and trailer as the thought of loseing you. your dad was right to let them total the truck. even fixed they are never the same. and if they dont fix your trailer, try looking for used "horse" trailers . their are areas around the country that used trailers are cheeper than others. and with a forum this size Id imagine one could be found at a reasonable price. Glad to be writing this to you and not about you DR.

Latest posts

Back