In a scary, scary trailer accident this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_new_shocked.gif
Gosh...how scary for everyone. Thank heavens it was not as bad as it could have been. Nothing gets me more rattled then even thinking of horses, people and trailering accidents. Hang in there!

Once we got the vehicles home we got a closer look at the damage:
TruckRightRear.jpg

TruckLeftFront.jpg

TrailerCrumpledFront.jpg

TrailerFront.jpg

TrailerLeftFront.jpg

Even the truck tires got it. Look at the weird groove on the right front tire, and the rip in the left front one!

RightFrontTire.jpg

LeftFrontTire.jpg

Okay, now I'm depressed again.
default_rolleyes.gif

Kody and I have both been drugged to the gills but it's going to be awhile before we quit feeling this one I think, both inside and out. I just thank God things went the way they did and the damage wasn't worse. I will DEFINITELY be reopening my U.S. Rider account so if God forbid something like this should ever happen again the towing would be covered and Kody would have a guaranteed safe ride home. I hadn't realized how important that could be when you're so close to home!

Please everyone, drive safely. I got the pleasure of informing my mother who's on vacation in CA and my old sweetheart in Iraq by phone of what happened and both of them nearly had heart attacks. Not fun!

Leia

That was one horrific ride! I'm so sorry you and Kody went thru that...but so glad you are both ok.

Well I am one that had her phone turned off when Leia was trying to find someone to come to the rescue! Sorry Leia!!! When I reached her around 8:30 and heard the news, I was shocked and scared for she and Kody! So glad that things turned out as they did, what a scary event...it could have been SO much worse!

I drove through the crash area this morning at about the exact same time as Leia had been just the day before. I saw where the accident happened. They are doing all that road construction there, and the road is all roughed up and weird, and then it curves pretty sharply to the right where it joins the smooth pavement again. I believe that had something to do with Leia's truck breaking traction.

I read this right after you posted it yesterday and I was crying so hard, I had to leave the room!

I'm crying again now still scared for what *might* have happened. I shudder to think about if we had lost you and Kody! Unthinkable!

I thank GOD that you, Kody, and others that were driving near by are all ok!

This Thanksgiving, I will give extra thanks that you came through that horrid accident safe.

{{{{{Leia}}}}} {{{{{Kody}}}}}

*Shuddery-tearful-thankful-Sigh*

Love,

Robin

WOOO Weee Leia.

Mr Kody probably felt like a little popcorn kernel! Glad you are both okay. Can't image the stress. I probably would have had a heart attack on top of all that.

OH LEIA I'M PHYICALLY SICK TO MY STOMACH.

THANK YOU GOD FOR TAKING CARE OF MY INTERNET FRIEND, AND THE KODE MAN.

Trailer accidents are very scary... thankfully I've only known one person who was in horse accident (also survived, even though they rolled). Unfortunately insurance for trailers is really, really confusing, and people don't understand it. Yes, your tow vehicle DOES cover insurance for the trailer, but only liability. Collision is a seperate policy, a cheap one! I think I pay $15/mo for my 2007 gooseneck trailer. My roomate pays $100/yr for his 2002.

US Riders is such a great service... I'm a guy so I carry the card in my wallet and always have it on me, so locking the card in the truck isn't that big of a concern for me :p I do find it very odd you can't look up their emergency number any way! That's a little scary... maybe I'll put it in my cell.

I'm glad you were able to survive the accident well and nobody was hurt! I'm very disapointed more people didn't stop
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia, oh my! So glad you and Kody are okay. Had to be a terrifying ride and must have seemed like much longer than it actually lasted! We have lots of interstate construction here and my worst nightmare is exactly the type spot you were in. I have a similar stretch I go through getting to my vet, heart in throat mostly.

Hug your boy (again
default_smile.png
) and stay safe!

Jan

Wanted to add that my husband also went through the site of the accident this morning, and he said that DEFINITELY the way the pavement is right there contributed to the accident.

Wow, was it just adrenalin or are you talented as a writer. Story was definitely riveting
default_ohnoes.jpg
and I know I couldn't have put it into words the way you did.

On the o flip side I figured if you were writing about it that nothing major was permanetly broken and I was actually waiting to see if you ended by going on to your event. I know my sister (maybe me if I had a change of clothes along
default_oops.gif
) would be one that would do something like that!

Good to know that most of everything can be fixed. Even though it's $$$; it's better than a worse alternative.

I am soooo glad you and Kody are ok..........How scarey that must have been.

You are one lucky person the outcome is not always as good as yours was..

Wow - that is a very scary story - thanks for sharing. Whenever I am driving the truck and trailer I think about what would happen in the event of an accident - and reading your story certainly makes a person really think that anytime - any place - something can go wrong.

I am so happy that you and your wonderful Kody are OK - you both deserve lots of hugs - so here come a bunch from Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_cheers.gif
default_cheers.gif
default_cheers.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Thank you so much for the excellent post. Thank goodness that you and Kody are alright. Things could have been so much worse. Take care and it will take time to get over it.

Liea,

I'm so glad you and Kody are ok!

Hope you 2 aren't too sore this week.

Best wishes!

So glad u are both ok!! What a wonderful horse kody is, getting backin the trailer like he did. I used to own a throughbred that had been in a terrible trailer accident where the trailer unhooked going down the road and crashed upside down in a ditch. This was before i owned him and he never willingly got in a trailer again the rest of his life. And I really could not blame him! So Kody just proved how much he trusts u.
default_yes.gif

Leia,

Oh my gosh girl!!!! I am so glad you and Kody are ok......... you poor things...... I am sure you both will be sore for awhile, and what a trooper Kody is, got right back in a trailer for you........that just shows how much he loves you and wants to please you.

Take it easy this week (I know like you have much of a choice)....... just know I am thinking of you guys!

Valerie

P.S.: If you want to PM me, I will give you my home ph # & Cell #......never a bad idea to have a list of horse people on a contact list.....(although I hope you never, ever get in another accident)......
default_wub.png

How are the two of you doing? Any word on your truck, your trailer? I hope everything is well and I hope that the damage and the dollars were not too bad.

I am very happy to see you and the horse is fine. But this is why I tell everyone, you need a real horse trailer, not a cargo trailer, in case of an accident/incident. The last time I posted this thought, I got my butt reamed by people telling me how safe their cargo trailer is. NO WAY. No cargo trailer could have withheld the impact your horse trailer took, and your trailer stayed up on its wheels, a cargo trailer would have flipped in a minute. That is why they build horse trailers for horses and cargo trailers for cargo. This is a good example of what can happen and you were not in an 'accident or a crash' with someone else. It just happened. I know, I see this all the time, being in the trailer business, this is why I beg people to pull horse trailers, because trying to save money can lose a life in the long run. I personally was in an incident on ice and I was shook up pretty bad like you. That was 7 yrs ago and even still today, I have flash backs in certains situations. But hang in there, it takes a lot of time to get thru it. But please go out and kiss your trailer, it saved your life, your horses life and the people driving around you too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back