In a scary, scary trailer accident this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad you are both ok. Hope there isnt a lot of damage to the vehicles. I must say you did a very good job in handling the situation. I think you were instrumental in the over all out come by retaining your composure during the accident. I only hope if I am in that situation I react so rational as you. You did a good job. Kody is such a good boy.

How absolutely terrifying -- I am so glad you guys are okay!

Liz R.

I am SO glad to hear you're both ok!

Kari

I would have appreciated a "we're both okay!" at the beginning of the narration!!

Have to agree with Sandy on this! It would have been easier on my heart!
default_wub.png

wow Leia that must have been terrifying for you, I know I was terrified in reading your story, I felt like I was sitting in the truck with you. Thank God and his angels that you and Kody were okay and wasn't he a good boy to get back on that trailer for you. Hugs to you both.

Yvonne

I am soooo glad you are all ok. That is totally sad about your trailer. We had a simular type of accident last year when we went to pick up a new mare. Only, we hit ice. As we were driving in the mountians (I-80 west), we were going up hill. I saw a sign that said "Flooded Road" . Well, do you know what happens when you have temps in the 20's and the road is covered with water? You guessed it ICE!! It covered the whole outside lane. My brother that was driving didn't see the "Road Flooded" sign. We started to swerve. the next thing we were spinning in circles. We were lucky that the other traffic was far enough behind us to stop. We came to a stop faceing the semi truck that was behind us. We were very lucky we haden't picked the horse up yet but had rabbits we were droping off. I checked and the buns were fine and the only thing that happened was we had a small bend in the bumper. A few days later 3 semi's mixed it up in the same spot.

Well...I kept checking for your writeup after Keith and I talked to you last night, and by the time I got back on here you have a ton of responses. Once again, this forum is an amazing place! The worry wart in me, however, wonders if the time you posted this, in the wee hours, was because you couldn't sleep?

Keith was worried that you would be experiencing PTSD, which is why he called back after you and I talked.

Thank goodness the crumple zones on truck and trailer truly did their jobs (as did the Jersey barriers). How appropriate that the engineer's daughter is saved by good engineering! You could say that your trailer died to save Kody, so when I look at those photos, I'm thankful for every dent I see, and those I don't. Same for the truck.

I remember a recent discussion on LB about trailers that are too heavy for the tow vehicle. Everyone who hauls needs to keep in mind that Leia's truck is fully capable of handling that trailer, yet the trailer still ended up in front of the truck before they came to a stop. Although, in a strange way, this may have been a blessing, as the jack-knifing brought everything to a halt.

Leia, is it possible to move or extend that trailer brake lever? A safety feature is of no use if you can't safely reach it!

When the woulda-could-shouldas hit you, you can turn them around -- instead of those things you MIGHT have done, the things you DID do may well be the choices that saved you and Kody. For example, while you could say you should have driven down Friday night, imagine if you had had that accident at nighttime?

I'm just so glad that you and Kody are all right. Keith told me about Kody rearing in hopes of a click-and-treat last night...a good sign. He is SUCH a good boy, and I can only imagine what it meant for you to comfort and reassure him. That he got back in the trailer so willingly is testament to his trust in you.

I'm speechless.......

Ok speech back OMG!

However 3 main things..

Your ok

Kody's ok

No-one else was involved.

Everything else is material value.

Definatly some gaurdian angels looking after the pair of you. I really don't know what i'd do in that situation so i think you handled it all so well!

:DOH! Oh my god, you guys are so lucky. You can be very thankful that nothing else went wrong. I just don't get it, aren't the state troopers supposed to be doing there job instead of giving each other pony rides? LOL!

Alyssa

Thank god that you 2 are okay.
default_smile.png

Alyssa

[SIZE=12pt]oh my goodness, what an awful, electric story.
default_unsure.png
[/SIZE]

I'm so glad you & Kody made it through unharmed!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

& what a brave man Kody is for getting back into the trailer.
default_wink.png

Thank God you both are okay.

What a terrifying experience. Just give thanks because it could have been tragic.

You're in our prayers.

Leia -

We are so VERY glad you and Cody are OK - I know the trailer damage will be a pain to pay for - but it's just metal and can be repaired. Glad you had an angel riding with you..

Mark & Sharon

I am so glad you and Kody escaped the accident unharmed. You were very very lucky. Yes your truck and trailer are damaged but you do have insurance. Actually my truck and trailer look very similar and I did the damage trying to get my trailer out of the driveway.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
But one thing I am going to add is I am not sure how old you are or if you already have a profession but if not you need to think about being a writer. I was totally at that accident with you just reading your post. Wonderful descriptive recap of a horrifying experience. Stay safe and keep writing.
default_wink.png

Wow, that was scary! Add me to the list who had tears in my eyes as I read. I am so glad that the Lord spared you and Kody.

WOW, that was scary! Definitely an Angel riding with you yesterday.

I'm glad y'all are OK. Give that boy a hug from us all (and one to you, too)

Lucy

OMG Leia what a nightmare!! Thank God both you and Kody are ok!! Someone was definitely watching over you!!

~Tammy

My heart was in my throat reading about your accident. I am so glad that you and Kody were okay. That is the main thing. The other things can get fixed in time.

Latest posts

Back