In a scary, scary trailer accident this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need to tell you what a lucky young lady you are, it sounds as if you know it already. <<huggs>> How very scarey, I bet your legs were like jelly when you first realized what had happened after you checked on Kody. I am so glad your story had a happy ending. You are both fine!

Wow! I dont get on here all that much anymore but amm still around when I can..All I can say Leia is thank God and Bless you and kody both for being OK after that wild ride..

So glad all is OK with you two and really that is all that counts. I havent read all the psts yet so hope that's still true
default_smile.png

Take care of you, and of Kody and the rest will come along..

sincerely, Maxine

Thank you everyone for your loving thoughts.
default_wub.png
A couple of mass replies here-

I too thought of the trailer emergency brake although only after the thoughts, "don't use the truck brake" and "stop correcting for each movement!" Unfortunately by the time I finished those thoughts things were becoming so violent I didn't dare take a hand off the wheel to reach down for the controller. It's in a good spot for my dad or even my mom but being so much more petite than either, in order to reach it I have to duck down with my head below the dashboard and I can only say that at that moment letting go of the wheel and taking my eyes off the road again seemed like a very bad idea.
default_new_shocked.gif
There's no way to know now if it would have helped so I'm trying not to second guess myself.
default_no.gif
Maybe if I'd been contorted in that position when we hit the barrier I would have snapped my neck or something. I don't know.
default_no.gif

I can't take credit for being mentally controlled during crisis, my little brain just seems to keep ticking away without me. It gets me into a lot of trouble sometimes when it's NOT an emergency!
default_rolleyes.gif
And believe me, I fall apart when it's over and everyone is safe.

About the vehicle insurance maybe covering the trailer- I sure hope so! Apparently that's why my mom did not insure the trailer directly; the agent told her at the time that she could insure it for theft, vandalism, etc. but it would be covered under the truck's coverage if there was an accident while hauling. I'm sure praying that's true!
default_new_shocked.gif
I agree with you all that the damage even to the vehicles was amazingly light for what happened and I'm fairly confident the truck at least will be fine shortly.

I have a wonderful osteopath who I will see as soon as my body's had time to decide where it hurts and Kody's chiropractor will definitely be called for him next week. Of course she's going to have to come out here since I can't exactly haul him in there right now, but hey! What's another $100 call charge?
default_rolleyes.gif
I will definitely be watching him for the next few weeks, but when am I not?
default_smile.png

Don't worry too much about our mental health, at least not beyond the usual.
default_laugh.png
Kody and I are both pretty practical, anchored, sensible kids and I don't think I'm going to suffer any PTSD over this although the writing of it last night had me adrenalized again as I relived that awful swaying sensation. I'm obviously going to be very careful but this was just one of those moments when things went wrong and I'm still not really sure why. That happens and I've gotten away with hauling safely in some very dangerous situations in the last year or two so in a way I think chance just caught up with us. We were extremely lucky and I'm mostly feeling blessed at this point! Kody may have an issue being hauled by anyone else for awhile but I get the feeling from him that as long as I'm in the vehicle hauling him he'll be okay. We're a team, we two, and as long as we're together and we're both unharmed we can handle anything.
default_wub.png

I wish like heck I did not have to haul alone, I even tried to coax my dad into coming along this time as I simply didn't feel like being by myself. But I guess with that many guardian angels you're never alone.

A Little Blessing said:
I have to admit, I was reading this and when I got to the point where the truck finally came to a stop and you were gripping the steering wheel I couldn't help but think "Get to Kody! GET TO KODY! PUT THE CELL PHONE DOWN AND GET TO KODY!"
I know, believe me I know!
default_yes.gif
I am a little fuzzy on the order of events there but that was the best I could reconstruct.
default_laugh.png
I know I turned off the truck and I know I at least grabbed my cell phone before I got out because all I could think was there would be no help coming for him or I if I didn't call 911. Then that guy was running up and Megan was pulling her yellow car over and I was moving towards the trailer and and and....
default_wacko.png
Believe me, Kody had been the only concern in my heart as everything went south. I figured whatever happened would be because of something I did so in a way I'd deserve any injuries I got (and hey, I work at a hospital. I've got full health insurance, sick leave, disability coverage and no copay in my ER!) but he was innocent and deserved none of it. The heck with my own neck! If I'd hurt him....
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Marty said:
Leia, add me to the list of people you gave a heart attack to. I just couldn't handle it if you and Kody were hurt. I don't know

about you but this caused me to have a giagantic cup of hot tea

this morning. My nerves are shot for the day. I am so thankful

to whatever angels saved you. Maybe I know one of them.
default_wub.png
I think maybe you do Marty.
default_cheekkiss.gif
That is very near a stretch of freeway where I sat in traffic on the way to Happ's a few days after Michael was killed and got tears in my eyes thinking of him as I stared at the beautiful clouds and blue sky. The light yesterday morning was very similar.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Leia!!!!

Glad you and Kody are OK. This has been a wake-up call for me. I just got my 90 model stock trailer back with 2K worth of welding and new paint job done. My beau re-wired and added additional trailer lights. I WILL be asking him to see if he can get the trailers brakes working as well. I've had previous problems with my trailer brakes locking up and/or not working at all. I haul A LOT BY MYSELF too. Better to be safe than sorry.

Again glad yall are OK.
default_saludando.gif

Lori

Oh thank God and yes, Bless you both, I had tears in my eyes reading this out loud to my hubby.

I just could not imagine, what was going through your mind, everything happens so fast.

It was good you watched the program with your dad last night.

I am sure your mom and dad are just so glad to have you home and safe with Kody

default_pray.gif
everything works out for you to get your truck and trailer fixed now....
default_wub.png

Leia.........You are SO SO LUCKY.
default_new_shocked.gif
My heart was in my throat reading.......

I think you are right. Your Guardian Angel was working overtime.

Leia Leia Leia, I held my breath thru your whole recounting

of that story. Then let out a sigh of relief .......

Your rig can be fixed or replaced You and Kody cannot.

I've driven that road so many times, hauling, I'd never be able

to recount them. It's a horrible road at anytime. People drive

like Kamikaze pilots. I'm not surprized only two people stopped.

But bless their hearts that they did and stayed there with you.

How are you feeling today?

I, I , I .....am speechless--

I don't really know you, Leia, but I now feel a part of your life. I am so glad you and your wonderful Kody are doing alright. I am glad to hear you both will be having some body therapy in the coming days.

Take care- and I am glad you didn't snap your neck (it is not a great thing to go through).

Give that Kody a smooch from all of us!

Peggy

OH My Goosh.. Leia!! What a scary thing to happen but I am very, very happy that you are both unhurt! What a champ Kody is to get back in a trailer.

<Hugs> To you both.

When things have calmed down and you are both feeling better, please check this out. http://mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

WOW! I feel like I"ve been on a roller coaster! What a terrifying thing to go thro. Like everyone else I was worried for little Kody, I kept picturing him being tossed about in the back of that trailer while it whipped bac and forth across the road. I'm so glad that when it was over you were both Okay.

Thank God for His Angels that morning! You and Kody didn't get hurt and neither did anyone else. The truck and trailer - those can be replaced as well as carts and other items.

It also sounds like in the wake of the storm, God gave you clarity of mind and spirit.

I am Thank God that you are well and Kody is too.

Take care!

I am so incredibly glad you two are alright. I know it had to be a very frightening experience. Take care!

How crazy!!! I'm always white knuckled going through construction zones with my trailer. I'm glad you and Kody are fine!!! What a great little guy to get back in the trailer for you!!!
default_wub.png

Good God Leia!
default_new_shocked.gif
How totally freakin' scary!
default_ohnoes.jpg
I don't have to tell you young lady because you already know you had an angel on your shoulder!
default_pray.gif
For anyone who hauls with a trailer, this is their worst nightmare (me included). I'm SO, SO, SO grateful you and Kody are OK!
default_new_multi.gif
And I'm in awe of how your brain works!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm afraid that tomorrow you're both going to feel more of it, but so grateful nothing major is broken. The crumpled metal is meaningless at this point. It's you guys that are important!!!

I'm so glad to hear you and Kody are both okay! I would have appreciated a "we're both okay!" at the beginning of the narration!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I had to speed read to see if Kody was okay!! Sounds like a scarey situation that you handled fine....though I believe at least one guardian angel was sitting on your shoulder! Metal can be repaired! Could have been much worse and I'm just so thankful you and Kody are okay!
default_smile.png

Leia, as I was reading this I realized I was bouncing my legs, and holding my breath, fearful to read another word. BUT, I kept reading it anyway, cause I just HAD to know you were ok. I was so RELIEVED to know that you and your horse, Kody were fine. I'm so thankful to God that you were both ok. Take care, TJ

Latest posts

Back