In a scary, scary trailer accident this morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad you are okay. That must have been terrifying.

Sue

What a scary experience!! Your story was riviting and I am so glad you both are OK.. I agree it might take you both awhile to get over this emotionally...

I wish more people would have stopped to help you, its just one more example of the world we live in today-people are so busy and are almost immune to what is going on around them if it doesnt involve them, they dont see it...

Keep us updated on how you both are and here is (((HUGS)) to both you and Kody..

Missy

I can't believe the analytical power of your brain. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks, reliving it with you. (((((hugs)))))) just ((((hugs)))).

Leia-

You are so right; the good Lord had his Angels riding with you and Kody--I have no doubt of that, and thanks be to Him AND those guardian Angels!

Your telling brought tears to my eyes; I so understand your relief in realizing that you, and your beloved 'passenger', are OK(and I am SOOO very glad that you both were, my dear young friend!)...living beings are NEVER replaceable, as 'stuff' is.

Yes, do check w/ your insurance company; as others have said, I too believe that at least w/ some policies, the trailer has coverage when it is hitched to your towing vehicle. Seeing the pics, I'd also have at least some hope that the truck is repairable(looks like your front bumper actually may have 'done its job', unless there's damage I can't see 'behind' it)...and even the trailer? Looks like it was all the front 'panels' that are crumpled, and I wonder if they could be 'peeled off' and then replaced(as long as the frame wasn't twisted/deformed)??

That's just my logical mind at work...but I do hope you will end up with the insurance 'working for you' --- that's what we are paying for, right?! And I agree--reinstate your US Rider coverage...I have it, and it gives me great comfort, because it is so WELL-regarded among those who travel with horses--and especially those who sometimes have to travel alone.

I am very relieved that you are home and safe; so sorry you missed the ADT, but heck, they'll hold others, and you and Kody will 'be there with bells on' in future, I know!!

Sending big {{{{ HUGS}}}} to you and warm pats to Mr. Kody!!

Margo

OMG Leia!!! I am soooooo glad you and Kody are OK!!! I sat here in tears reading your post (knowing that if you were typing it, you were OK, but still living your experience thru your words was terrifying!!). I doubt I would have been as "controlled" as you in a situation like that...amazing mind control you have!! darn girl!!

default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked

Glad you and Kody are okay.

I have to admit, I was reading this and when I got to the point where the truck finally came to a stop and you were gripping the steering wheel I couldn't help but think "Get to Kody! GET TO KODY! PUT THE CELL PHONE DOWN AND GET TO KODY!"

Such a scary experience no doubt!

Oh, gosh, Leia, my stomach is just sick-feeling in reading this. Not the accident itself, but the possible outcome. You were, indeed, very lucky as well as level-headed.

Jeez, jeez, jeez, I am sorry I did not see this sooner. Let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do to help!

(((relieved hugs))) (for both of you!!!)

Liz

OMG you are so lucky! i'm relieved to hear both of you are doing fine! amazing there wasnt' far more damage than the photo's show!

As for USriders.... I do have one BIG complaint about them. I was a member this year and didn't need to use it until a couple weeks ago. I was at a horse auction in the middle of what seemed like nowhereville Kentucky and i stupidly locked myself out of my car. WELL... of course my purse with the US rider card was locked INSIDE the car. i called my mom to look up the number on the internet. I called the number and it was the corprate office which WASN'T OPEN ON WEEKENDS. The recording went on tot say "if you are a member in an emegency needing assistance please call the number on the back of your card".... Ok is it just me or should they have a emergency number listed ON THEIR ANSWERING MACHINE?? i called my mom back and asked her to look again for another number... no luck..that's the only one they had. I ended up having to call the sheriffs department to come pop my lock. needless to say i'm quite miffed about the whole situation. i mean it ended fine and it was something 'simple" but what would have happend if it had been a BIG emergency and I couldn't find my card or something?? The plan is not a CHEAP plan so to me it seems they could make it easier to call them when needed!!

someone asked me if they sent me a sticker like AAA and why i didn't put it on the window. well i looked at it after the fact and that doens't have the number on it either!

Anyways that's my gripe and I plan to write them a letter to suggest they do something different in that respect. What good is the plan if you can't use it when you need it and the onlynumbe rot call is on the back of a card that you may or may not have in an emergency??

OMG girl!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
THANK GOD YOU AND KODY ARE OK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone was looking down on you guys for sure!! It could have been way worse with just one 'if' ..... I am so glad you are ok.... mechanical things and trailers can be fixed or replaced... a life cannot.

So glad you all are doing OK. That is very scary and it could have been much worse. You two are very, very lucky.

Carol

Leia, add me to the list of people you gave a heart attack to.

I just couldn't handle it if you and Kody were hurt. I don't know

about you but this caused me to have a giagantic cup of hot tea

this morning. My nerves are shot for the day. I am so thankful

to whatever angels saved you. Maybe I know one of them.
default_wub.png

I got the pleasure of informing my mother who's on vacation in CA and my old sweetheart in Iraq by phone of what happened and both of them nearly had heart attacks. Not fun!
These are the phone calls you have to start with "Kody & I are both okay, but ... "

Scary, scary stuff! I'm so glad you're both okay!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:DOH! OMG, that is so frightening. I am so glad you both made it out ok. WOW. Luck certainly was on your side!!

Take it easy and use Kody as your comfort, I am sure he needs it too ;)

Absolutely horrifying!

I was wondering if you have trailer brakes. I was told that one should let off hte vehicle brake and use the trailer brake manually to bring it out of a fishtail. The trailer brake straightens out the trailer and pulls the vehicle into line. I know this, but I have often wondered if I would have hte presence of mind to remember to do it.

I am so glad your boy was all right.

Leia,

That was the most frightful experience I have heard of in a long while...so glad you and Kody are both ok!!!! Like it was said in one of the previous posts...keep an eye on Kody as he may have a relapse in a few days after the initial shock has worn off!!!! They are very sensitive creatures and don't often show injuries right away...God Bless you both and praying all stays well!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
{{{{HUGS}}}}

default_new_shocked.gif
O M G !!! You can thank your lucky stars that you or Kody were not hurt! And as bad as the damage is, to think it could have been SOOOOOO much worse, is really reassuring! So glad you are both OK!!!

:DOH! :DOH!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH! :DOH!

WOW, what a post to read this morning! I started reading and then had to jump to the end , and it was so considerate of you to do a summary of the outcome there.

So GLAD you and Kody made it through this like you did!!! *HUGS* to you and Kody.

Yeah, talk about something to remind you and others as to what is really important in the end.

My grandparents used to take their trailer to Arizona every year. They had the electric trailer brake setup and also had a sway bar that could be adjusted to dampen movements like that. I wonder what else might help prevent fishtailing from happening again. I wonder if a 5th wheel setup might be better?

I'm sure you will be researching all of the options and figure out what is best.

Let me know if you need help with anything!

Daryl

Latest posts

Back